WineBoard
Vina Alarba Old Vines Grenache - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Vina Alarba Old Vines Grenache (/thread-10445.html)

- Innkeeper - 12-12-2003

2002 Bodegas y Vinedos Jalon S.A., Vina Alarba, Old Vines Grenache, D.O. Calatayud ($7.99 Belast Coop). Sweet cherries on the nose and upfront. Dark plums and peppery spice in the smooth complexity crossing the palate. Lovely finish. Matched with grillpanned smoked pork chops in OO, and spinach with OO, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Wonderful. Incredible value.

- dananne - 12-13-2003

This is likely my personal favorite value wine this year. My wife and I always have at least a half case on hand for "whatever."

It's pretty versatile, food-wise. I've enjoyed it with everything from "Dagwood" sandwiches to chili (but not the multi-alarm kind) to BBQ to grilled portoabellas. My wife thinks it's a great grilled pork wine, so she'd love to match with what you had for dinner. Generally, though, it comes out on random mid-week evenings when we don't have a preference and when we'd rather not open any of the pricier stuff. Always seems to hit the "Yum" spot.

- Innkeeper - 12-13-2003

Getting to be a big fan of Garnacha or mostly Garnacha wines. This is a huge hurdle for someone my age. Granache is something they used to make California Rose' from before White Zin, and otherwise used in jug wines. Of course, when I was a kid, haddock was considered a junk fish, and monkfish was hit over the head and thrown back into the sea.

- jackl - 02-25-2005

I have seen a similar wine called Vina Alarba but minus the 'Old Vines Grenache.' I'm pretty sure it's by the same producer, but not sure it's the same appelation. Has anybody seen this one and if you know, what is the makeup of this wine? Thanks.

- Kcwhippet - 02-25-2005

Vina Alarba makes a number of wines, of which Old Vines Grenache is one. It will say somewhere on the label what the wine is. Another Grenache based wine they make is called Calatayud. Look on the label - it'll say what the wine is.

- californiagirl - 02-26-2005

Found this today at Cost Plus for 6.99. It wasn't what I was after, so passed on it. Maybe I should do an about face and grab a few!

- dananne - 02-26-2005

It remains a staple at my house. Favorite wine at that price point. Love the stuff.

- Innkeeper - 06-04-2005

We had a bottle of the '03 Old Vines Grenache (do they bottle this just for export?). Surely the Spanish would say Garnacha. Picked it up at a New Hampshire Liquor Store for something less than $10 (lost the slip). It is just like the '02; apparantely the year was no hotter in Spain than normal!

Didn't get as much as would have liked as we split it three ways, and Mother had more than normal! Wish I had two. Matched it with ham loaf, rolls, and salad in B.V. and E.V.O.O. Just great.

- Drew - 06-04-2005

It's always in our house also...good stuff!

Drew

- dananne - 10-02-2005

The '03 seems to be improving, with some of the tannins subsiding and thick, juicy cherry fruits jumping out of the glass. Still a real bargain at $6 or $7. Still have half a case left, which is even better!

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2006

Had a jug of the '04 tonight. It was completely up to the usual par; which is not a put down. Matched it with our Chicken Breasts in Paprika, Onions, and Cream. Because of the complexity of the dish, and our experience with our new appliances, thought the light red would be fine, and it was.

- Innkeeper - 02-22-2006

Ok Foodie, we had this tonight with Italian Sausages and Angel Hair in tomato sauce. The wine bumped up against in terribly, contrast!? It made the tomatoes taste more acidic. Since Grenache is a low acid wine, I would rest my case, except that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Sigh!