WineBoard
2005 Bodegas Castano Monastrell - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 2005 Bodegas Castano Monastrell (/thread-10345.html)

- Drew - 03-10-2007

Here's what RP wrote about this wine, and I like the guy, but too much sediment has blocked his tasting receptors......

"The 2005 Monastrell is an insane value produced from three vineyard sites ranging in age from 40-60 years. Opaque purple-colored, it gives up fragrant aromas of blue fruits, plums, and prunes. Ripe, layered, and full-flavored, this hedonistic effort can be enjoyed now but will surely evolve for 2-3 years. Match it with beef and lamb. 2/28/2007"

Now here's the skinny, it is a very good QPR Spaniard but I'm not sure what wine RP was reviewing with the above but it wasn't this one. Dark black/ruby in color, NOT OPAQUE. Dark fruits, black cherry and hints of tar and tobacco. Medium bodied with fine grained tannins mid palate through the linguring finish. I bought a case on the spot for $6 per bottle and paired it with ground Tatanka (Buffalo)patties with mushroom sauce and roasted fingerling potatoes, delicious. 14%Alc/vol. It is an awsome value wine if you can get it under $8 per bottle.

Drew

- dananne - 03-10-2007

Agree with your notes on the wine 100%, but I have to report an unfortunate price creep in these parts -- I've seen it as high as 12.99 a bottle, which is unfortunate. The '03 was a QPR fave for us, and we killed the last bottle recently.

- brappy - 03-10-2007

If the date on the end of that tasting note is correct, it wasn't Bob who tasted that. It would have been Jay Miller. But they have almost identical palates anyway.

That date is odd; the printed version was at the printers at that time. Or more than likely already back just waiting to be sent out.

Can you tell me who the importer is? Not really important, just curious....

mark

- Drew - 03-11-2007

Mark,
Imported by Eric Solomon European Cellars, Charlotte NC.

BTW, that's the closing date of The Wine Advocate issue #169 in which he rates the wine.

Drew

- brappy - 03-12-2007

Thanks Drew,

I just found my note on this wine. Suggested retail for this one is $7. Also interesting, this wine was blended especially for Eric Solomon. He has a few wines in his portfolio that are blended for him.

Oh, and it was Jay Miller who tasted his wines.

Thanks again,

mark

- VouvrayHead - 06-03-2007

Drinking this while finishing up my teaching portfolio junk.
The wine is better than the writing.
I paid $7.99, agree with Drew's notes, though my wine really is pretty opaque [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Here's another Spaniard worth it by the case, per other discussion... Down to $7 then...

Tomorrow I'll have all my stuff in and will be on the way to being certified insan... I mean as a high school teacher. Moving to St. Louis in a couple of weeks to be with family and a certain female friend of mine...

I'll miss Madison, but I'll hopefully make it back here eventually. Great city to settle down in... St. Louis will be nice for a while.

[This message has been edited by VouvrayHead (edited 06-03-2007).]

- winoweenie - 06-04-2007

Congrats there VH! Have a Grand-Daughter wwho's a teachwer and her hubby also. I MAY be slightly over-enthusiastic but any child who is lucky enough to get either of these 2 dedicated youngsters should count their lucky stars. WW (She was voted teacher of the year in our lovely state for dance)

- wondersofwine - 06-04-2007

Adding my congratulations, VH. We need more enthusiastic and highly competent teachers. I only lasted one year as a high school English teacher but I'm enjoying teaching part time now at a local community college. There's plenty to do in St. Louis (I have considered eventually retiring to Kansas City, MO) but I can understand the desire to get back to Madison eventually. I was only there for one football weekend but my sister attended summer school at U of W one year and loved the experience. It's a city that has many attractions (lakes, cultural events, etc.) I would like to revisit Madison, probably in the warmer weather months.

- VouvrayHead - 06-04-2007

Thanks to both of ya!

yep, there is a major shortage of good teachers... Lots of mediocrity out there.

We'll see what happens!
I'll keep you posted [img]http://wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- Drew - 06-05-2007

Add my congrats to the pile also VH. I teach a Security Guard Training Program to persons with disabilities as a part of my job as a Police Chief. I'm no formal teacher, as this is a customized teaching program, but the teaching aspect is very fulfilling. My utmost admiration to all out there who train our future.

Drew

- TheEngineer - 06-05-2007

Good Luck VH! St Louie is a great city too and you'll never tire of trying to match wine with their bbq!