WineBoard
2003 Laurona Montant - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Laurona Montant (/thread-10229.html)

- TheEngineer - 02-04-2009

Very nice wine for the price of $23. Drinks more like a pricier Priorat than a Monsant. Deep purple in colour, nose, through my cold was still deep and broading, spicy (oh boy was it ever), tar, a lot going on. ON the palate, juicy, concentrated, spicy (almost hot pepper sensation from the pepper and the slightly hot alcohol hit, ...neat!) and again lots of stuffing! Good acidity, slight hint of bitterness at end, long long finish! Good and interesting juice at the same time. I'm guessing it has not come all together just yet, would be good to give it just a bit more time but very interesting now.

- brappy - 02-05-2009

Love Monsant.... Always looking for Grenache coming out of this area... Actually, always looking for about anything coming from this area. Just has to be good.

mark

- Drew - 02-05-2009

I've got a BUNCH of the '02 and '03 sleeping in the cellar. Really big and beautiful Monsant that I paid, get this, $18 per. Really, Really nice. (the '02, imho, is better than the '03).

Drew

- TheEngineer - 02-05-2009

Thanks Drew, I'll see if I can get some of the '02s [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Nice price fer sure !

- TheEngineer - 03-15-2009

Had another one today for just general sipping. Same notes, but if the 02 is better, then that is some great QPR.

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - TheEngineer - 04-04-2013

When I was looking for this note, it caused me to look back through the years and back in 2009-2011 I was drinking a lot more Spanish. That must have been my Spanish period Smile

Well, lately, I've been eyeing that side of the cellar more. A bit neglected for sure compared to my recent OMG period with Burgundy...but it was worth a return.

This wine has certainly developed though I'm not sure whether it is in a dumb phase or whether it is getting past prime. The wine is still rather elegant and full of spices but one thing dominants now that concerns me a bit, the wood. The wood is nice, high end, cigar box, cedar, lovely really but it dominants like I just bit into a piece of wood. So I put the cork back into it and will revisit it in a couple of nights to see if anything comes back. Nonetheless, still pleasant now, especially ify ou like wood.....

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - Drew - 04-05-2013

I'll pop one tonight Mike and compare....It gives me an excuse to open one because Eileen doesn't like the wine and she'll be at the O's opening game and then after celebration with her girlfriend groupies! ....I'll be alone with the wine.

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - Thomas - 04-05-2013

I'd be interested to hear how it goes, Drew.

One of the scariest things about many wines with up-front power is that they often cannot hold up, and then the wood becomes too obvious. Still, surviving for ten years is respectable performance.

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - TheEngineer - 04-05-2013

Would love to hear of your experience Drew!

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - Drew - 04-06-2013

[quote='TheEngineer' pid='105071' dateline='1365185570']
[/quote]

Popped the 2003 yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it while watching the Orioles win their home opening day for the season. Beautifull black/ purple in color. Elegant with spicy black and red fruit, tar, and a very attractive bitter note on the linguring finish. This bottle seems to be not quite as brooding as previous bottles, although I haven't touched one in a while. I paired it with a plate of pasta made from artichoke flour, mixed with smoked chicken and smoked pork laced with wilted spinich, grated pecorino-romano and a drizzle of a reserve California olive oil....all delicious as was the ball game. Big Grin

Drew

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - Thomas - 04-06-2013

[quote='Drew' pid='105073' dateline='1365254087']
[quote='TheEngineer' pid='105071' dateline='1365185570']
[/quote]

Popped the 2003 yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it while watching the Orioles win their home opening day for the season. Beautifull black/ purple in color. Elegant with spicy black and red fruit, tar, and a very attractive bitter note on the linguring finish. This bottle seems to be not quite as brooding as previous bottles, although I haven't touched one in a while. I paired it with a plate of pasta made from artichoke flour, mixed with smoked chicken and smoked pork laced with wilted spinich, grated pecorino-romano and a drizzle of a reserve California olive oil....all delicious as was the ball game. Big Grin

Drew
[/quote]

Thanks, Drew. Good to know it has held up.

The dish sounds great, and I keep thinking Barbera D'Alba for it...

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - Drew - 04-06-2013

I actually didn't match the dish specifically to the wine. I was alone, already had a large bag of fresh spinich and a container of sliced smoked chicken and pork tenderloin from last Sunday to finish up so threw it all together so I wouldn't miss much of the game!

Drew

RE: 2003 Laurona Montant - TheEngineer - 04-06-2013

Thanks Drew! Glad it held up! I've got a few more bottles so that is great!