WineBoard
2002 Tobin James Liquid Love - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Tobin James Liquid Love (/thread-10002.html)

- Innkeeper - 06-08-2004

Had a nice day today. We went up to Skowhegan, an old mill town on the Kennebec River, an hour and a half away. The reason was to buy shoes. The New Balance factory such as it still is in this country is there along with a wonderful true factory store. So we shopped there as well as in the Dexter Shoe store in the same town. We ate our principal meal of the day in a local place up there called the Old Mill Pub. We ate outside (temps in the 80s!) on a deck overlooking the dam on the Kennebec in the center of town that still had the old sluice that they used to feed logs down. Enjoyed a lobster roll (quite decent for this far inland) and all the trimmings. Washed it down with Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc. All wonderful.

Tonight we had 2002 Tobin James, Liquid Love, Late Harvest Zinfandel and cheese. The hard data on the wine includes it measures 17.2 % alcohol; was picked at 35 degrees of brix, and had 5 degrees of brix left as residual sugar. Don’t think there was any fortification as the alcohol level was less the 1% over their French Camp Zinfandel table wine. It was wonderfully luscious. Heaps and heaps of still somewhat spicy fruit on the nose and tongue tip. Perfectly smooth and ice cream thick across the palate, and a finish that went on and on and on. Matched it with a wedge of something called “Drunken Goat Cheese.” Whatever it was, it was great. You may still be able to get some of the wine from TJ at $18 a 375 ml pop. If you belonged to the James Gang, you would have one in your possession now, if you didn’t drink it like we did.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 06-09-2004).]

- chittychattykathy - 06-08-2004

Spanish goat cheese soaked in wine for a few days then aged for a few months. I love it myself! mmmmmm....

Sound like a great day!

- Innkeeper - 05-21-2005

Had to make a quick trip over to Waterville today to get true love's sewing machine in for a tune up. So we had a mid-day meal at a favorite stop called the Lobster Pot. Enjoyed a shrimp scampi with a nondescript Merlot. Only other choices were a Sutter Home Cab or a flacid SW.

Anyhoo, tonight we just had cheese, crackers, and the '03 Liquid Love that came in the Spring shipment from TJ. Amazingly, it was exactly 17.2% again. How dey do dat? But is was lovely. More globs of fruit, spice, and everything nice. One of the better perks for belonging to the James Gang.

- jmcginley1 - 05-21-2005

man, that stuff sounds lovely.

- Innkeeper - 12-26-2006

Popped the '04 that came in the fall shipment after dinner last night, and had some more after lunch with leftovers today. This could be their best ever. Just love a late harvest Zin with chocolate!!!

- TheEngineer - 12-27-2006

wahhh......my assistant opened up my case and asked me if I could have the liquid love....of course I said yes....Now I have to wait til next year's box.

- Innkeeper - 12-27-2006

'Tis far better to give than to receive.

- winoweenie - 12-27-2006

Pretty good stuff for a domestic port-type substitute. Posted on one of the vintages awhile back. WW

- TheEngineer - 12-27-2006

Thanks IK! I agree. In fact, only four bottles of the eight made it home with me.....

- Innkeeper - 04-20-2008

We've been working on the '05 that came in the Spring '07 shipment (had to make room for the new one). Yummy, yummy in my tummy.

- Innkeeper - 09-26-2009

We accidentally popped the '07 before the '06 this week. It had come with the Spring '09 shipment. It weighs in at 17.4% these days, but is much the same as it always has.

We had baked some brownies for a church event that we could not attend. They cut them into very small pieces, and sent a lot of them home. So, we enjoyed the Liquid Love with them. They went together very well.

- Innkeeper - 05-22-2010

Popped another '07 last night and killed it with son-in-law while daughter and true love worked on a "tree" costume for grandson.

He had never had a late season Zin before and loved it. Very nice wine.