WineBoard
Graham's Six Grapes - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Graham's Six Grapes (/thread-9972.html)

- hotwine - 08-27-2003

Picked up a couple of bottles of this NV Port on close-out today at about $14 per, 'cause the retailer has boosted my '92 LBV Warre's up to $26. Any TN's? (Yeah, I know... I'm cheap. Easy, too.)

- winoweenie - 08-27-2003

But....Accomodating.ww

- Georgie - 08-27-2003

That's one I haven't tried. Let us know what you think!

- Thomas - 08-27-2003

In my limited experience, I have found Graham's sixer not to hold up as well as other premium Ports. I would like to know what you think after you open one.

- hotwine - 08-29-2003

Hmm. Tried it last night. Nice breadth of flavors from the grapes with a light dusting of white pepper, but lacking the depth that you would find in a vintage Port. No sign of wood, more like a product of stainless steel. Maybe it will gain some complexity in the next few days, but I won't bet the ranch on it. Not bad as a toddy after supper, and at the price might serve well as an introductory Port for someone who is just getting into them. 19.5% ABV.

- Thomas - 08-29-2003

Gld you agree--makes me feel like I'm learnin' sumtin.

- hotwine - 08-29-2003

My knowledge of Ports is VERY limited, but it's fun trying new ones. Picked up a '96 Taylor Fladgate LBV for $17 today but will let it sleep in the cellar with the '94 for a while.

- Thomas - 08-30-2003

That one should be quite a joy. I have become partial to the LBV style, especially when its name is Nieeport--their '96 was outstanding. I used to get it from a distributor out of New Jersey. Recently, however, Nieeport's importer switched distributors and the new one, in NY City, bumped the price by 30 percent (for the same vintages I got from the Jersey guys). I stopped buying it, on principle.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-30-2003).]

- hotwine - 08-30-2003

Wow, I'll never understand that kind of marketing strategy... but it could be at work in this area, too, given the run-up on the Warre's.

The Graham's definitely improved overnight, and was pleasant enough following dinner of grilled chicken breasts and mixed veggies smothered in a cheese sauce, with '01 Dom. de la Rossignole Sancerre.

I haven't even been able to find the Nieeport in this area.

- Kcwhippet - 08-30-2003

Don't do a lot of port, but I'm kinda partial to tawnies, myself. Like the Barros 20 Anos or one of their extremely nice colheitas. Yum1!

- hotwine - 09-08-2003

Continued to nip at the Six Grapes over the past week, re-corking and storing in the fridge until draining the last wee glass last night. It continued to improve for most of that span, only starting to turn downhill Saturday PM. I'll buy more at the price.