WineBoard
What do I have? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: What do I have? (/thread-9895.html)

- gatorjim - 06-09-1999

I have been given a carefully stored bottle of Sandeman-1962. Can anyone tell me about this wine and this vintage?

- Bucko - 06-09-1999

Sandeman did not make a Vintage Port in 1962. Recheck your bottle.

Bucko

- Thomas - 06-09-1999

Geez, Bucko, I thought we were separated at birth, but ain't no encyclopedia like you are!

Tell me, was that from memory or do you have a data base? In any case, I am impressed.

- Bucko - 06-09-1999

I'm full of it Foodie, full of it.......

Bucko

- gatorjim - 06-09-1999

The bottle says vintage 1962, bottled in 1964. It says Sandeman, and imported from a Miami importer. Now, can anybody tell me what I have? I know absolutely nothing about ports...

- Bucko - 06-10-1999

Give us the whole label - is it a LBV? As I stated, they did not make a vintage Port that year. Only Quinta Do Noval bottled one that I know of in 1962.

Bucko

- Thomas - 06-10-1999

Bottled two years after vintage, isn't that the reg for LBV?

If it is, what you have is a port that might be lush with sweetness, and with a nicely firm finish. If good, it is a fine wine for sipping on its own or perhaps with some moldy cheese.

And Bucko, "full of it?" -- port, I hope.

- Thomas - 06-10-1999

Bottled two years after vintage, isn't that the reg for LBV?

If it is, what you have is a port that might be lush with sweetness, and with a nicely firm finish. If good, it is a fine wine for sipping on its own or perhaps with some moldy cheese.

And Bucko, "full of it?" -- port, I hope. What about that Niepoort white port? Know anything?

- Bucko - 06-10-1999

No, Vintage Port is usually bottled two years after release. LBV Ports are kept in cask 5-10 years after the vintage, then bottled.

AFA White Port, I have had it one time and was unimpressed. It was not as sweet as I was expecting, and somewhat simple.

Bucko

- Thomas - 06-11-1999

So, if the Sandeman was bottled in 1964, and it states that it is vintage 1962, looks like it follows the line, and cannot be LBV.

White port: the only one of its kind I ever tasted that was from Porto was a Sandeman, about fifteen years ago. It was not sweet at all, and it tasted more like brandy.

- Jerry D Mead - 06-18-1999

Our friend Roy Hersh sends along the following message...for some reason he has a problem posting directly...we're attempting to solve that problem. JDM//

There are over 20 varietals of white Porto grapes in Portugal. Dow makes a fine white Porto. It is true to form, a dryer, lean style and with an ice cube or two...makes for a delicious apperitif on a hot day.

As far as the 1962 Sandeman vintage Porto...I know of 3 bottlings from this particular vintage (that were released to the USA). Quinta dos Malvedos, Fonseca-Guimaraens, and Quinta do Noval Nacional. So Bucko was partially correct. More importantly and a little known fact. Even in non-declared years, many Portos are bottled with Vintage dates anyway and wind up getting sent by the family/winery to friends and these rarities sometimes resurface later in other countries. As there is no listing for Sandeman in 1962..it is most likely that the above scenario applies. I emailed George Sandeman and requested a clarification for you.

Roy...the Porto guy
aka:
OportoRAH@aol.com

- gatorjim - 06-19-1999

Thank you for the reply-Iwill visit the bottle tomorrow, and see if any of the names mentioned are on the bottle. Actually, the history of the bottle could be quite interesting, because, believe it or not, the original recipient of the bottle was a spy (CIC) for the miltary in WW2, Korea, and the early beginnings of Vietnam. He is just starting to tell tales of his adventures to his loved ones- maybe this bottle has a tale to tell(or again, maybe not). At any case, many thanks for the info...

- Jerry D Mead - 07-01-1999

//The following is a follow-up from our friend and Port authority Roy Hersh. JDM//

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. Here is the definitive word on the 1962 Vintage Porto from Sandeman...in response to my email to him. Hope this clears up the mystery:

Dear Roy,

Well, I hope that you didn't bet a bottle of Vintage Porto on this
one!

In fact we did ship 1962 Vintage Port, a lot of about 8,000 cases, AND
mainly to the USA. The curious thing is that we never actually
"declared" the Vintage!

This just goes to show that "declaring" has become more important than
it used to be. Nowadays, people think that "declaring" Vintage is
almost some kind of religious ceremony rather than the original
purpose - which was to advise the trade and customers that the Shipper
had wine of the year for sale!

Last time I tasted the 1962 it was quite fine, having evolved into a
rather nice, light style, more tawny than ruby in colour. It was
medium in its complexity and showing its 37 years. The wine was made
for drinking rather earlier (say at 20-25 years) but was holding up
remarkably well.

Maybe with this information you can get your friend to open the bottle
and taste it with you!

All the best

George Sandeman

- Thomas - 07-02-1999

And so, a few should humble themselves.

I like Sandeman's point about vintage declarations!

- Bucko - 07-02-1999

Trick question -- we shipped it but did not declare it........ Kinda like Clinton -- I smoked it but did not inhale.

Bucko