WineBoard
Copper River Salmon - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Copper River Salmon (/thread-983.html)

Pages: 1 2

- emc - 06-15-2001

I am a server at a seafood restaraunt and we recently were fortunate enough to get some Copper River Salmon in. It is a very deep red color and high in omega oils giving it a more distinct and full flavor than other types of salmon. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what kind of wine to recomend serving with it. Varietals or labels, any info. is appreciated.

- Bucko - 06-15-2001

Only two things to serve with CRS, Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris, IMHO of course. We just polished off a slab the other night with a nice OR Pinot Noir, 94 Thomas.

Bucko

- emc - 06-15-2001

Thank You very much for the information, Elaine

- cpurvis - 06-16-2001

Jus' the mention of "Copper River Salmon" gives me that 'be still my beating heart' feelin'. An' Bucko, pinot noir immediately came to mind as the match. cp

- Drew - 06-16-2001

Just in case anyone's interested....

http://www.copperriverseafood.com/Start.htm

- emc - 06-16-2001

THese are a few of the Pinot Noirs we have on our list:

1999 SAINTSBURY carneros

- emc - 06-16-2001

THese are a few of the Pinot Noirs we have on our list:

1999 SAINTSBURY carneros
1999 KENWOOD russian river val.
1998 WILD HORSE central coast
1999 ESTANCIA monterey

I have heard good things back about the Saintsbury but I have not tried it. I have tried the Estancia and found it OK. any idea which would go best? Thanks. What about a Petite Syrah?

- winoweenie - 06-16-2001

.Bucko gave you the definative answer. I'd rather drink a SW than try the Syrah with this delightful fishie.You really don't have much of a Pinot selection, but the Saintsbury IMHO is the best you have. WW

- emc - 06-16-2001

THANKS

- chittychattykathy - 06-17-2001

Just enjoyed some Copper River salmon here at home, with my second choice after PN, a Rose' Champagne.

- ddf68 - 06-28-2001

I've had the Copper River for dinner every Friday (delivery day at the local fish market) for the last four weeks. That is some outstanding salmon. Too bad its season is so short. My fish guy says he can't get anymore until next year.

ddf

- mrdutton - 07-17-2001

There are two things that I wait for every summer.

One is soft shell crab season and the other is that glorious two week or so season in June when Copper River Salmon are available.

There can hardly ever be better times than these.

- Bucko - 07-17-2001

Dungeness crabs and Yukon River salmon...... hee hee!!

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2001

Maine Native Shrimp (caught Jan-Feb), and Maine (farm raised) Atlantic Salmon.

- mrdutton - 07-18-2001

IK, too bad you can't hardly get Atlantic Salmon from the Atlantic any more.

There has got to be a difference in taste between the natural critters and the farm-raised ones.......

- winoweenie - 07-18-2001

Hardly noticeable.. About the same as the diff in Turning Leaf cab and Lafite. WW

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2001

At least we know what our salmon eat. Incidentally all Atlantic Salmon in the stores are farm raised. The wild ones are on the Endangered Species List. Suppose you wild salmon fans prefer range fed cattle to feed lot beef.

- ddf68 - 07-18-2001

Wish I could remember where I read this, but in addition to the flavor issues, farm raised salmon tend to have less oils overall and a lower proportion of the Omega-3 fatty acids which are a big part of the reason eating fish is good for you.

ddf

- emc - 07-20-2001

Copper River Salmon are especially high in Omega-3 oils and essential fatty acids because of the extremely cold and fast waters that they swim and spawn in.

- Thomas - 07-21-2001

Oh boy, we've gone into the Rant section by default...

A number of years ago, while dining on salmon at a restaurant, I mentioned to my wife that I seemed to have lost my taste for the fish. It wasn't until recently when I discovered that what happened is I had gotten my first taste of farm-raised salmon, and did not respond well to it. Maybe I'm an Omega-3 kinda guy.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-21-2001).]