WineBoard
Osbourne LBV 94' - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Osbourne LBV 94' (/thread-9801.html)

- Drew - 11-24-2000

Getting into the season I cracked open a bottle of 94' Osbourne LBV ruby port, $16. Clear dark garnet, dark plum, blackberry and caramel with a hint of peach flavor on the long finish. Good value.

Drew

- Thomas - 11-25-2000

Thanks. I shall look it up.

- mrdutton - 11-25-2000

Drew, that sounds like it would agree with me.

I'll check around my lousy wine market area and see if there is any. If so, I'll purchase and let you know what I think about it!

Thanks for the information!

- mrdutton - 11-25-2000

Read this on THE 30 SECOND WINE ADVISOR from the Wine Lovers Web Site:

HARDY'S NON-VINTAGE "WHISKERS BLAKE" AUSTRALIAN TAWNY PORT ($14.99)
Clear dark amber with an orange glint. Plums, apricots, caramel and a whiff of orange peel on the nose and palate; sticky-sweet but with fresh, lemon-squirt acidity to provide structure and keep the sugar from cloying. Purists would note that this is not from Portugal and thus not a true Port. Those purists would miss the delights of a really excellent and affordable dessert wine. U.S. importer: International Cellars,
Chantilly, Va. (Nov. 2, 2000)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-25-2000).]

- Chilly - 11-28-2000

Hardy's is one of my favorite tawnies. Very complex flavor. Truly enjoyable drink.

- Drew - 11-28-2000

Mike, Whiskers Blake is very good. I've had several bottles over the past year and it's amazing for the $15 price tag in this area. I hope you can find some in your region.

Drew

- winecollector - 11-29-2000

Hey, thanks for the tasting note on the Hardy's Mike! I've had a bottle in the cellar for a few years now that I never got around to opening yet, as I'm not a big fan of port. I bought it for the pretty bottle, the price was right, I like to look at it, the story on the bottle was very touching, the.... oops, sorry, got a little carried away ....

- mrdutton - 12-04-2000

Drew, I found some. I bought a bottle of Hardy's today. Very decent, nice warm nose. The warmth coming from the alcohol at 18%, but laced with fruit. Syrup sweet on the tip of the tongue, but not cloying. The description above was right-on, because the burst of acid helps to wipe out the power of the sugar.

I spilt a little on my hand, I could feel the alcohol evaporating.

I am putting this one on my list of decent after dinner sippers. It would go well with olives and it would (if you wanted sweet on top of sweet) go great with pecan pie or shoo-fly pie. But with plain, lightly roasted and salted pecans - oh wow this stuff would taste super fine. (I can taste something like roasted pecans on the finish - really very nice and smooth!)

Reason for edit: I forgot to mention, a bit more than your $15.00. It priced out at $18.90 here. But still, for under $20.00 a very good port!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-04-2000).]

- winecollector - 12-04-2000

Last I seen it up here in PA, it was $10.99.