WineBoard
BURGESS ZINFANDEL - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: BURGESS ZINFANDEL (/thread-9756.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- mrdutton - 12-13-2000

The 1997 Burgess Zinfandel, Napa Valley priced here on the East Coast at about $17.00 a bottle.

Try it! I am willing to bet you'll like it! Had some tonight with some simple ole spaghetti and meatballs. Very nice!

- winoweenie - 12-13-2000

MisserD , I`ve tol`t you and tol`t you Tom Burgess is one of the premier winemakers in Napa and always in the top P/Q growers. His vineyards are just above Phelps on the Silverado Trail and he`s always makin` super stuff. WW

- mrdutton - 12-14-2000

WW, I know YOU do keep telling me. But this was the first time I'd tried their ZIN and I just felt compelled to say something......

Sorry for being redundant......

- winoweenie - 12-14-2000

Be as redundant as you want MrD when it comes to fine producers like Burgess. Only let`s not get so enthused he starts raising prices. WW

- Innkeeper - 12-14-2000

The thought of that beautiful zin with the meatballs and spaghetti is making my skin itch. Was there enough acid to handle the tomatoes? Would have gone with the buffalo, deer, or elk you've been into, and washed the spaghett down with barbera.

- mrdutton - 12-14-2000

IK, stop itching! There was no clash that is for sure. Yes a barbera would have been a better match. However the Zin managed to hold its own against the tomato and meat sauce.

Besides, I'd opened it the day before and wanted to finish it. Sometimes my wine choices and mother's menu plans don't always match, exactly.

- raggedy1 - 12-21-2000

For those interested in finding the Burgess Napa Zinfandel, I found this wine store selling it for $9.95!!! http://www.lawineco.com/

I might be picking up a few for myself... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 12-21-2000

Rags Girl, Was this the 97 vintage? winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 12-21-2000

It sure is the '97. Nothing about shipping policy on their site.

- raggedy1 - 12-21-2000

seems too good to be true, eh? I haven't called them lately on shipping costs, but I remember their costs to be in-line with, if not cheaper than some other online retailers...
I am going to be in the LA area over the weekend and am now planning my route to see if I can stop by the shop...

- RAD - 12-21-2000

WOW, raggedy, thanks for pointing out that site! I just called and got a case of the 97 Burgess as well as a case of the 97 St. Supery cab, which IMHO is a good everyday-type drinker, especially at $14.99. I'd found the St. Supery (sorry, don't have TN, remember liking it, and having decent QPR) previously here in NYC at 19.99 at a discount wine shop; have seen it for as much as $27.

RAD

Forgot to mention, guy on phone was very helpful, they have "plenty" of the Burgess Zin, and they ship to NY! Never had found an out-of-state place before that would ship here.

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 12-21-2000).]

- raggedy1 - 12-22-2000

Glad to hear they have plenty of the Zin!

St. Supery does a good Cab, you're right. I had the 97 and thought it was a notch below their 95, but still a good QPR.

Sorry to hear you guys pay so much out in NY for some wines. St. Supery is available in a number of shops in CA at 15 - 17 dollars

- mrdutton - 12-22-2000

I've contacted them and I am in Burgess Zin heaven....... What a price! What a service!

- raggedy1 - 12-22-2000

For those who have had both the Burgess 97 Napa Zin and the 97 Rancho Zabaco Heritage Vines, which is preferred???
Curious to hear a comparo...

- mrdutton - 12-23-2000

Disregarding price points......

I'll take the Burgess Zinfandel over the Rancho Zabaco.

- raggedy1 - 12-28-2000

thanks for your input. I was trying to make a detour during my drive through Los Angeles to pick up a case of the Burgess Zin at LA wine co. After a 6 hour drive in traffic, I decided I couldn't take the extra 45 minutes to swing by the shop...
sigh. I guess I'll have to pass on this one and wait for the next bargain...

- Drew - 12-29-2000

My wine guy ordered a bottle of the Burgess for me and at discount was $12.50 a bottle. Will try in a few and if I like it will order more.

Drew

- RAD - 12-29-2000

Raggedy, why not just call the shop? The # is located at the URL you provided. It's 1-800-854-VINO (8466).

The guy I spoke with was very courteous and efficient.

RAD

- raggedy1 - 12-31-2000

I guess I'll call and inquire about the shipping cost. Just tough to justify paying the shipping when there are some good wines at the local shops...

- Drew - 01-01-2001

Popped my one and only bottle tonight with spicy chicken, spicy scalloped spuds and salad. Very floral hot alcohol zinberry nose on opening (hint of yeast?)only 13.1%alc/vol. which I like, decanted for 1 hour. Rich, very, very mature dark zin fruit, little oak, moderate finish with some astringent tannins...wonderful wine. Will buy more but still like my Rancho Zabaco better.....but not by much! The wife's working and I'm all by myself on New Year day. (stay tuned for a Tn on a special desert wine!) He, He.......

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 01-01-2001).]