WineBoard
Kendall Jackson - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Kendall Jackson (/thread-9648.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 07-18-2001

WW, you said you haven't been east of the Misssissipi in 50 years, so how do you remember that.

- Drew - 07-18-2001

Joe's Stone Crab House in the Miami area is great and worth visiting.

Drew

- newsguy - 07-19-2001

WW,

actually, i like stone crab claws better than blue crabs. tell you what, you come to tampa and i'll be happy to go out for stone crab claws with you... but boy, it would be a shame to come here and not visit Bern's. was there again two weeks ago and i think it was the best filet i've ever had. each time i go the meat seems better than the previous trip. (unfortunately, they were out of the 92 hess collection mt. veeder, so i couldn't make up for my poor wine choice on the previous trip).

- winoweenie - 07-19-2001

Hidie-Ho there Neswguy. I normally come to Tampa in January. I'll let you know before my next trip. Would rather drink a SW for a month than miss my pilmagridge to Berns. WW

- Innkeeper - 07-19-2001

Hello!!!!! Florida IS east of the Mississippi!

- mrdutton - 07-20-2001

IK mite be he's cornfused, cuz Tampa is, ya know, on the west coast.

- winoweenie - 07-20-2001

The memory's the second thing to go. I don't count Tampa as East as it is so far south. heheWW

- newsguy - 07-20-2001

WW,

i look forward to seeing you down here in january. and bern's always sounds like a good plan.

and make sure the rest of you let me know if you plan on coming to the tampa area. would love to meet you.

- zenda2 - 08-14-2001

Back to the K-J Collage. Say what you want about Jackson, but he made his rep blending juice. I'd have to say he did a good job blending this batch as well. The Zin-Shiraz blend is the only one I've tried, but there's another collage made with Zin and Cabernet. I'll leave that for someone else to try, having found the zin-shiraz suits ME just fine. Matched the pasta/grilled sausages we served quite nicely, the copious amounts of garlic didn't scare it one bit.

Back to 'When Barnyard Crabcakes Attack' coming up next on FOX.

- mrdutton - 08-14-2001

When Barnyard Crabcakes Attack..... what did I miss on Fox?

- Innkeeper - 08-28-2001

Found some K-J Collage in a local store about a week ago for $9.99. Popped it tonight with mesquite grilled chedderburgers and eggplant salad. A very nice match, and would try it again. Can't make up our minds if it is the best in its class. Would be interested in lining up five or six of these to decide which is best. Nice to have them all around.

- barnesy - 09-07-2001

My sister brought home a bottle of this out of curiosity. It had a pretty nice taste but it seemed to have too much alcohol on the nose with a bit of a alcohol finish. Despite this, its a nice wine for the price. Great burger and pizza wine.

Barnesy

- mrdutton - 09-07-2001

It also tends to hold its own around here all by itself as a quaffer.

This Sunday is the opener for NFL. That starts up an whole other gamut around here.....

My neighboor and I get together at his house (he has the 52" TV) for cheese and crackers and crab dip and brie and blue cheese and asiago and stuff like that with maybe some steamed mussels and other such stuff along with a few bottles of various wines...... All this just to watch football!!

What a great way to spend a Sunday! Anyway, we both have had the KJ Collage and we will most likely be drinking some this Sunday along with maybe something from AOC Corbieres. Gotta love the stuff from Cali, but the real juice still seems to come from over the ocean.......... instead of over the land.

- lizardbrains - 09-10-2001

Pardon me for interrupting, but I have a few comments/questions! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

This blended KJ... what is the name of it on the bottle? Is it different from just a KJ Chardonnay, or Merlot, etc.? I know what "blended" means, but I'm trying to figure out how to go and look for this wine.

Newsguy, did you grow up in Annapolis? I, too, have crabbed in the South River of Annapolis! (Went to school in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I didn't realize I should've tried the crabcakes at the O's game until after I moved here - FL.) Definitely you cannot beat MD blue crabs!!!!

I just learned about the Stone Crab Claws today from my coworkers, so I guess I'll have to try those, after having you guys talk so well about them too!

- zenda2 - 09-10-2001

Look for Kendall-Jackson Collage, there's 2 varieties, let me recommend the Zinfandel-Shiraz blend over the Zinfandel-Cab.

Should cost ~$8-9.

- newsguy - 09-11-2001

lizardbrains,

i grew up in the DC suburbs of montgomery county, MD. my grandmother had a house on the south river, where i spent most of my summers as a kid, and in turn, spent much of my days crabbing. yep, used to take chicken necks down to our pier, put them on the lines, and a few hours later return with a dozen or more blues -- and i never even ate any of them. didn't like the smell, and didn't even try crab until my mid 20s. still don't like it.

seems like you and i have taken similar paths, starting in maryland and ending up on florida's gulf coast, only i had a 7-year detour through the LA area.

and btw, still love the KJ Collage (zin-shiraz) for the price!

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 09-11-2001).]

- lizardbrains - 09-13-2001

How funny - very similar paths! I started in LA (born and raised in So. Cal.), went to MD for college, and now am here in FL! A MD friend showed my hubby and me how to crab and then eat them - what fun, and I guess I'm pretty lucky that I think they're tastey, too! One important lesson: don't catch the females! We didn't know this, so we were keeping everything. At the very end, our MD friend asked "You don't have any females do you?", to which we replied "How can you tell the difference?" Well, it was kinda too late by then, so we kept them all, and remembered that lesson the next time!

I will keep an eye out for the KJ Collage. Do you guys think this can be found in an ordinary liquor & wine store, or will I need to go to a more specialty store? I'm looking forward to trying it, and thanks for the heads-up on the shiraz.

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 09-13-2001).]

- newsguy - 09-13-2001

LB,

you should have no problem finding the KJ Collage at the grocery store. it has a burgundy/orange label. (i know that sounds gross. believe me, it tastes better than the label looks). remember, you want the zin-shiraz blend.

by the way, did u go to UM?

- lizardbrains - 10-22-2001

I know it's been over a month on this thread, so I'm sorry.

I went to Towson Univ. I thought about UM, but they wouldn't give me a good enough scholarship. Everything happens for a reason!

Anyways, I really did like this wine. What amazed me most was that when I drank some after I finished my meal (spaghetti), it tasted so bad! When I drank it with my meal, it tasted great: woodsy, warm, familiar. I could taste the fruit that you all refered to, but I couldn't taste "spicey". I guess I need to practice more!!!

- mrdutton - 11-06-2001

Just makes me happy to see that I started a good thread. By-the-by, the KJ Collage is still drinking quite nicely.