WineBoard
distressing news about the 99 rancho zabaco sonoma heritage vines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: distressing news about the 99 rancho zabaco sonoma heritage vines (/thread-9608.html)

Pages: 1 2

- newsguy - 08-07-2001

a friend of mine told me last night that he tried a bottle of the 99 rancho zabaco sonoma heritage vines. (i didn't even know this was on the shelves yet).

anyhow, he said the wine was not at all similar to the 98 and 97 models of my favorite bargain zin. where they are deep zinberry fruit and peppery spice, he says this is a flowery zin, both in the nose and on the palate. has anyone else tried the 99? i'm hoping what he says isn't true. if it is, i'll have to grab a case of the 98 before it's gone.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 08-07-2001).]

- Drew - 08-07-2001

Newsguy, I hope you're wrong. Below is a posting from the gang of pour webpage.

1999 Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Zinfandel Heritage Vines, $9.99, 14.5% alc: Finally ran into the new vintage of this QPR favorite, and it’s a worthy successor to the ’98, while perhaps falling just short of the wonderful ’97. (We tasted both of those side-by-side a few nights ago, so there is some little basis for comparison.) Typical dark garnet turning pink at the rim, with a big spicy snootful of perfumed raspberry/blackberry/black raspberry that has subtle overtones reminiscent of an old head shop (read incense). The lipsmacking flavors more than echo, with some good tannins, zippy acidity and a lingering finish that takes on notes of earth and tar. This is the third vintage in a row of this bottling that will be a stalwart amongst our everyday reds, and it drinks better than many Zins that cost twice as much. It’ll be interesting to see how it develops. Geo T

Drew

- newsguy - 08-08-2001

drew,

i hope they're right. my friend is even newer to the wine scene than i am, so i'd go with the gang's TNs. i think the first word of their description, "perfumed," is where the common ground is. my friend said "flowery" but i could see that passing for perfumed. also, maybe he didn't let it breathe. the RZ improves dramatically, IMO, with some air time.

i would hate to be disappointed by any year of the RZ, since i'd call it my favorite wine of any type for under $15.

BWT, drew, if u still have my e-mail address, please mail me. our computer system at work switched to a new e-mail system a while back and it unexpectedly ate all our saved e-mails, which means i've lost yours.

thanks!

- Innkeeper - 08-08-2001

Newsy, if your e-mail addressed changed, have you changed your profile?

- Drew - 08-08-2001

Newsguy, send me your new email...Xldrive@aol.com

Drew

- newsguy - 08-09-2001

drew,

the e-mail address that i gave you remains the same, it's just delivered in a different way here at the office.

IK,

thanks for mentioning the profile. that e-mail address has been deactivated for a long time now, so i just put my work one on there.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 08-09-2001).]

- raggedy1 - 08-29-2001

Had this one last night: a floral bouquet, big on the palate and finishing medium-long. A bargain at 8.99 and just a tad below the 97 in my book. Compared to the 97, this one's not as "big" but it is every bit as good with a slightly different approach. Better than the 98 for me...

- Bucko - 09-08-2001

My note:

1999 Rancho Zabaco, Zinfandel, Heritage Vines, Sonoma County, California, $16, 94,000 cases. Raspberry and vanilla cream are appreciated on the nose and palate. This medium-bodied wine has supple tannins and a long, crisp, fruity finish. Enjoyable now. 87/88.

- zenda2 - 09-21-2001

Tried this last night at a wine-apalooza tasting (yay! hundreds of wines to taste, whee!). My notes were a lot cruder than some of the ones above, but I agree in general...tasty, fruity, long finish, almost as good as the 97, which was very good indeed. Bought several bottles, and felt like one happy and smart shopper.

- Innkeeper - 09-21-2001

Haven't tried it ourselves, but the W&S October Edition out this week called it the 9th best zin in the country. Then again we've been burned by such reviews lately.

- Drew - 09-21-2001

Do you know that I sauntered into one of my wine haunts this afternoon and they had several cases of the '97!!!!
Heaven....I'm in Heaven....!!!!!!

Drew

- zenda2 - 09-21-2001

Drew,
Go buy a lottery ticket as well, sounds like you're having one of them lucky days.

- zenda2 - 10-13-2001

Attended another Zin tasting today, won't bore you with details but once again I preferred Rancho Zabaco, you just can't beat it for the money when it's on sale ($9). Naturally I bought what seems like plenty (but I'll run out, I always do) and a few of the Gallo Sonoma '97 Barrelli Creek Zin ($13.50 on sale).

Credit where it's due, Gallo's making some mighty fine wine for the money these days.
Wonder if Jerimiah the bullfrog is hep yet?

- newsguy - 10-31-2001

finally picked up a bottle of this and popped it. happily, it wasn't the "flowery" or "perfumed" wine i was fearing. good stuff, although to my palate not as deep and rich as the 97. fortunately, i still have 4 bottles of that vintage i've been saving. i'll have to scoop up a few of the 98s as well for comparison. in fact, i think a mini vertical (97-99) is in store around the holidays ;-)

- newsguy - 10-31-2001

wow, that was my 100th post. how time flies...

- winoweenie - 10-31-2001

I too tried this lil' sucker yesserday. Unfortunately it was our fourth bottle( I had a couple of friends drop in.) Seemed to be a solid bottle. Had some Peking Duck that made a nice pairing. WW

- Drew - 12-28-2001

Well I finally popped a bottle of the '99 tonight. Very similar to the '97 but diluted. Everything is several notches below the '97. The nose is very muted and the flavors and finish are not as intense...I still have a case of the '97 and will probably look for a new favorite QPR champ. The '99 Lodi designated Campus Hills Zin leads my QPR so far for the '99s.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-28-2001).]

- zenda2 - 12-28-2001

Drew, for good QPR zins other than Rancho Z, I like the Rosenblum Oakley ($11), or the Renwood Sierra blend ($11), plus the usual Cline and Bogle Old Vine Cuvee.

- zenda2 - 03-12-2002

Question: I've seen a new Rancho Zabaco Zin on the shelf here lately, it's called 'Dancing Bull', price point is a bit lower than the heritage vines Sonoma bottling. Label differs slightly, it has a large golden bull instead of the usual RZ bullfight scene we're all used to.

Any reports? Any of the usual Rancho Zabaco fans tried this one yet?

- Bucko - 03-12-2002

Dancing Bull is a brand new offering.