WineBoard
Italian Meal / Wine Pairing - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Italian Meal / Wine Pairing (/thread-957.html)

- hammerhead - 09-27-2006

Hello,

I am having a gathering of my peers (executive management - some of which are very wine knowledgeable) out to my house for dinner. My wife and I are preparing an Italian dinner featuring beef lasagna, spinach stuffed shells with parma rosa sauce and chicken and asparagus alfredo over fettucini (a sort of pick which one(s) you like approach)... Anyway, I was interested in wine suggestions... I have a great local wine store and I plan to work with them as well, but I'd like to hear some suggestions from the folks that frequent this board. Thanks for your help!

- Innkeeper - 09-28-2006

Hi Hammerhead, and welcome to the Wine Board. For the first two dishes recommend a Rosso di Montalcino. For the third serve a Vernaccia di San Gimignano. Salute'.

- hammerhead - 09-30-2006

Thanks Innkeeper! I plan to go to my wine store today and I will be sure to look for these wines. And thanks for the welcome. I've actaully been "lurking" a while - just my first opportunity to post.

Cheers,
hh

- jasonconnors - 10-02-2006

Whenever I enjoy a good Italian meal, like you sound like you're preparing, I tend to enjoy a nice glass of white zinfandel with it.

[This message has been edited by team (edited 10-02-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 10-02-2006

Ugh!!!

- hammerhead - 10-10-2006

Innkeeper,

I am happy to report that the wine suggestions went over very well. The dinner was fantastic and the Rosso di Montalcino was excellent. I was unable to find the white so I went with a nice Pinot Grigio that turned out OK. Not much of a white wine drinker - I need to learn to appreciate it more.... I think Jasonconners might be pulling our leg - are you serious about the White Zin? I haven't had that since I was trying to get freshman girls drunk at a frat party oh so long ago.

Thanks anyway,
hh

- hammerhead - 10-10-2006

Oh - I forgot to mention that I also picked up a Ripassa Valpolicella (2003 I beleive) that was very, very good.

Thanks, again, for the tips!
hh

- brappy - 10-10-2006

Keep grabbing those Ripassos. I've only tasted 4 or 5, but all were surprisingly wonderful. Especially from '03.

On another note, I don't believe Jason was "pulling our leg". I believe he is quite genuine and a little bit..........

mark

- TheEngineer - 10-11-2006

You know I like the occasional Ripasso because they are so straight forward...but everytime I think about how they are made.....Ughm.......it will take me 6 months before I can out it in my mouth again...I remind myself that rot and fermentation is not such a bad thing ...but with Ripasso...... uhgmm...

- Innkeeper - 10-12-2006

There are a lot of things about all winemaking that can turn one's stomach.