WineBoard
1997 Rancho Zabaco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 1997 Rancho Zabaco (/thread-9512.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 10-13-2000

Finally tried this one tonight, first as a sipper before supper, then with smothered steak & veggies. A nice dark color, fruity nose, but IMO too much alcohol at 14.5%. It would be a better wine if that were cut to about 11%. Still, at a sale price of only $7.99, a pretty good buy. The Lovely Wife liked it, and that's the major test.

- Bucko - 10-13-2000

Hey pal, if the wife likes it, you're outvoted by default. Suck it up. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bucko

- hotwine - 10-14-2000

I know. She's outnumbered me for 25 years now.

- winoweenie - 10-14-2000

The Gallo portfolio is gettin` pretty derned awesome Eh? winoweenie

- ChefMax - 10-19-2000

Speaking of which, anyone sampled the '97 Gallo Sonoma Zin? Not bad for the price, either.

- winoweenie - 10-19-2000

Chefster, I`ve been an advocate of the Gallo line-up for it`s Q/P ratio. On the old Kids` network the many Ex-Gallo employees were vitrolic on the subject. I almost had to use a sydonym for my personal safety. winoweenie

- newsguy - 10-24-2000

my eyes lit up when i saw this post about the 97 Rancho Zabaco zin. I tried this a month ago and was very impressed, especially considering the pricetag. i'm gonna buy a case this week cause the 98s already seem to be pushing the 97s off the shelves. and considering what i've heard about the 98 vintage, i'm grabbing all the 97s i can!

cheers!

- hotwine - 10-24-2000

I'll probably buy a few more to put down, too. Gallo has rounded up some pretty good properties, and produces some very nice juice these days. But I'd rather support the small operations when possible, rather than the behemoths, so I tend to leave the Gallos and Mondavis to others.

- raggedy1 - 10-31-2000

I tried the 97 Rancho Zabaco Heritage Zin tonight. first by itself then later with pizza. Great QPR! Lots of juice to balance out the spice typical of a zin. Good body and a smooth finish; not very long but better than one can expect for 8 bucks. This could easily pass as a 15-20 dollar wine.

- Herls - 11-05-2000

Isn't there 2 Rancho Zabaco Zins? I was at Sam's Wines in Chicago and they were tasting 2, one that said Sonoma and one was Dry Creek I think. One was 8 bucks the other 15. Anyone know the difference?

- chittychattykathy - 11-05-2000

Sonoma Heritage vines is the $8 one. Dry Creek, (which is a valley in Sonoma) is the $15 one.

- raggedy1 - 11-07-2000

haven't tried the Dry Creek Valley, only the Heritage Vines. It was the Heritage Vines that scored an 88 and a Best Buy designation in WS (for whatever that's worth).
Picked up a few more bottles of the 97 since it looks like the 98 vintage is moving in...

anyone tried the 98???

- mrdutton - 11-07-2000

Although I did not try it, I saw a 1997 Rancho Zabaco on the wine list of a very up-scale restaurant in Norfolk, Virginia. They'd priced the wine at $15.00. If it retails around $8.00, then I'd venture to say that their mark-up is not too awfully bad.

Is my thinking on track or off?

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-07-2000).]

- winecollector - 11-07-2000

Sounds like on track to me.

- Drew - 11-08-2000

I'll tell you what....here in the Baltimore metro region I haven't seen the Rancho for less than $10, single bottle, and more like $10.50 to $11. Given that single bottle price and your upscale restaurant in Norfolk pricing on the menu for $15, that's a great dining deal. Are the other wines on the restaurant's list equally well priced? What's the name of this hidden gem?

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 11-08-2000).]

- mrdutton - 11-08-2000

Drew, the place is called The Blue Hippo and it is located on Granby Street in Downtown Norfolk.

I can not begin to quote their entire wine list, but I also noticed that their 1992 Perrier-Jouet Fleur De Champagne was listed at $104.00. That is just a few bucks above the retail around here.

I would venture to say that this is one establishment more interested in serving good to fine wines at fair prices which match their menue more than an establishment interested in selling wines at high prices.

However, a dinner for two here with cocktails, a bottle of wine and no sweet can still easily hit the 100 to 125 dollar mark. But I've never walked out of the place feeling hungry, even without the dessert.

- Drew - 11-08-2000

Sounds like I need to visit the "Blue Hippo"!!!

Drew

- Herls - 11-11-2000

I figured out the 97 Rancho Zabaco.. There is the 97 Zin Sonoma County "Sonoma Heritage Vines" that you can get for around 10 to 12 bucks here in Cali and then there is the 97 Zin "Dry Creek Valley - Unfiltered". Available for around 15 to 17 bucks. There might be more kinds but the Dry Creek is freaking awesome!

- chittychattykathy - 11-12-2000

Did I stutter? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- ChefMax - 11-17-2000

Yum! Here in Boston it's $9.99 for the Heritage Vines- a steal.