WineBoard
2001 Ridge Paso Robles - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Ridge Paso Robles (/thread-9449.html)

- winoweenie - 03-13-2005

100% zin from the great Dusi ranch this is a mouthfull of super juice.Brite medium ruby. Straw, bramble. and red berries along with a touch of black fruit hit the tongue running. Strong entry , weighty center and a nice 3&3/4 lapper finish. Can benifit from another 1-2. 90/89. 25 by the boa. 14.5% alc. WW

- winoweenie - 04-17-2005

Another bottle we had with the Carne Asado yesterday. This big hummer took on the marinade and came away with flying colors. Am posting my marinade recipe for any of you hardy, adventerous folk who have no regard for their taste buds.
Make a base with tomato paste mixed with wate till runny. Add 2 tablespoons of honey, and vinegar, 2-6 buds of garlic minced, juice from 2 limes and lemons(from your backyard if available), one tablespoon of onion powder(Penzys), And as much dried Mexican Oregano as you like. Stir and let sit at room temp for 2-3 hours. Have your butcher slice 2-4 lbs of round steak thin (1/4 ") Marinate overnite in the fridge. Make sure the marinade isn't too thick. About the consistancy cream is okie-dokie. Put the steak on your grill and cook on low turning twice until done. Serve with whatever sides you like and some fresh tortillas. WW

- jmcginley1 - 04-17-2005

I'm grabbing a bottle of one of the ridge's tomorrow. I want to try the Paso Robles if the place near me has it(they tend to have 3-5 Ridge's in stock) If not, I'll grab the high end avalible for the day. Tasting notes to follow.

I love their Zins.

[This message has been edited by jmcginley1 (edited 04-17-2005).]

- Glass_A_Day - 04-18-2005

I think I'll give that recipe a go WW. Sounds fantastic.

- jmcginley1 - 04-18-2005

So I ended up grabbing a bottle of the 2002 Paso Robles today. Drove south to do dinner with the folks(I hadn't seen them in a bit) and I find my father marinating Pork in a hearty peppercorn sauce. I mention having just grabbed a bottle of the Zin and his eyes lit up in excitement. Apparently he used to be a huge fan of Ridge, so wine was served.

I liked this wine a lot. The nose was loaded with Black cherry and plum, which carried into the mouth with a nice bit of spice. The fruit had a great jammyness(is that a word?). 14.8% Alcohol, which gave a nice mouth-filling effect without over-doing the heat. A great, lasting finish with a bit of oak, and nicely balanced acidity and tannins.

I'd say I'd grab a few more bottles of this, but that's a lie. It was on the shelf for 19.99, right next to Geyserville and Lytton Springs, both for 23.99. I'll be back for more Ridge though, that's for certain.

[This message has been edited by jmcginley1 (edited 04-18-2005).]