WineBoard
94s Coming Around - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 94s Coming Around (/thread-9328.html)

- Bucko - 06-27-2000

The 94 Zins tended to be pretty big all of the way around. I enjoyed them for the massiveness, but put them back to knock off a few rough edges. They are beginning to do just that IMHO. Case in point:

1994 Pezzi King, Dry Creek -- Classic Zin nose. Intense cranberries, blackberries, and briary flavors assail the palate, with the moderate tannins more than handled by the fruit, with a very long finish that has a hint of oak. Compared to a couple of years ago, the tannins are less harsh and foreboding. A lovely wine to go with Tacos tonight. (yes, I like Zin with tacos)

Bucko

[This message has been edited by Bucko (edited 06-27-2000).]

- winoweenie - 06-28-2000

Bucko, Bingo! The massive wines like Biale, Scherrer,Lamborn, Hendry Block 7,Sparrow Lane "Beatty" etc seem to be coming along nicely.Some of these IMHO will improve for 10 or more.Forgot Ridge. Memory`s the 2nd thing to go. Winoweenie

- winoweenie - 06-28-2000

Bucko, boy are you a bad influence. As I peck the out I`ve opened a 94 Saddlebrook, Napa " Old Vines " for my lunch wine and thought it time to stand up the 94 Rabbit Ridge " Reserve ". Nils` effort is coming along swimmingly.Clear Ruby, great nose of wildflowers,black fruits,and belies the 14.3 % alcohol.Really a super effort that, IMHO, will umprove for another 3-4 yrs. I`ll report on Erichs` reserve tomorrow. Winoweenie PS Buckster, I drink Zins with most of our Mexican meals, and for Foodie, also with smoked salmon crepes in cream and garlic.

- Bucko - 06-28-2000

No Zin for Breakfast?!?

Bucko

- winoweenie - 06-29-2000

Tried it on my Cheerios once but it overpowered the oat flavors. I now use Reisling. WW

- Thomas - 06-29-2000

I seem to remember some fine 94 Zinfandels from Peachy Canyon, Deux Amis, Elyse and Cline. Alas, haven't any left.

Hey there Foodie, had the Elyse,Peachy and still some Cline "Ancient Vines " Nice Juice. The Rabbit "Reserve " was Outstanding.Erich is making some super stuff lately. Winoweenie

- Bucko - 06-29-2000

I vastly enjoyed the early Rabbit Ridge stuff, but then as the years went by, the wines began to taste like oak juice to me. I quit buying or trying them after the 1996 batch.

Bucko

- Drew - 06-29-2000

Bucko, could'nt agree with you more, Rabbit Ridge "ain't what it used ta be!"

Drew

Bucks and Drewskie, Thot this thread was 94 Zins. Be My Eyesite now Gone? Winoweenie

- Steve Goldblatt - 07-11-2000

Opened my 1994 Rosenblum Brandlin Ranch. A superior zinfandel! A great nose of deep raspberry and cassis some vanilla and a little chocolate. Superbly balanced, long finish with great fruit. It had that peppery finish that I love in zins. Just a great wine to drink. I opened it with my neighbors who are not as serious about their wine as "WE" are. Their comments, "where can we buy some of this?"

- Bucko - 07-11-2000

And you said "Have I got a deal for you!"

I guess that I need to crack some of mine. Thanks for the heads up.

Bucko