WineBoard
Chateau Cantermerle - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Chateau Cantermerle (/thread-926.html)

- KateMaine - 11-07-2003

Hi,

I'm going to be at a wine tasting that be a 4 vintage vertical, the first being a 1966 and I'm not sure what the other years are, of Chateau Cantermerle (5th growth Haut-Medoc).

What can you tell me about this wine and what would be a wonderful food to go along with them?

Kate

- Auburnwine - 11-07-2003

Sounds like fun. Are you looking for lighter finger foods or something more substantial?

- KateMaine - 11-07-2003

I have great leeway in what I bring. Could be anything.

- Auburnwine - 11-07-2003

Well, for a basic tasting, good, simple bread is important. Cabernet Sauvignons and red meat or a roasted white meat are always a nice marriage. Lamb kabobs, tandoori chicken, duck with a fig sauce or grilled pork in a tangerine sauce would be some options. For vegetarian fare, mushrooms or a ratatouille, if you can find fresh rats(sorry, I just could not help myself).

- Thomas - 11-07-2003

For simplification the mushroom idea is nice, as is a cheddar or similar cheese.

As for Cantermerle, as a 5th Growth this house puts forth some fine stuff. Haut Medoc also happens to be one of my favorite areas in Bordeaux--nice silky wines come out of that place.

Just a thought, but if you want to bring a ringer that will surprise all, look for Chateau Coufran.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-07-2003).]

- KateMaine - 11-16-2003

Thank you for your advice. I'd not even been able to figure out what kind of grape it was.

- Thomas - 11-16-2003

While it might help to know, the grape variety is less important in Bordeaux than the house style. Much of the wines are blended with grapes like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Malbec, among others, with a smattering of sections and houses that rely on one main grape variety.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-16-2003).]

- winoweenie - 11-17-2003

Did they move this very good property out of Margaux into the HautMedoc classification? Haven't bought any since 83 but then it was in Margaux. Do I be nuts ot what??? Shush Drew. WW By the way to answer your question about the grape varieties the breakdown is as follows; 40% Merlot, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, and
10% Petit Verdot

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-17-2003).]

- Thomas - 11-17-2003

ww, what took you so long?

- KateMaine - 11-17-2003

What is from Margaux? Chateau Coufran?

- KateMaine - 11-17-2003

OK..I finally found Chateau Cantemerle (without the extra r) on line. What I don't understand is if the Chateau is in Margaux, as it shows on their map, why is Haut-Medoc on the label and not Margaux?

- winoweenie - 11-17-2003

They asked Foodie to do the label....giggle,snort,hehe. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 11-17-2003

Haut-Medoc is a broader appellation than Margaux. It means that though they be located in Margaux, some of the grapes came from outside Margaux but still within the Haut-Medoc AVA.

- Thomas - 11-17-2003

...and it is likely you have the second-label wine, not the main label. And so ww, that is why Haut-Medoc.

If my sagging memory serves me, Coufran is also an Haut-Medoc, but my memory is sagging--haven't had the wine in a few years.

- KateMaine - 11-17-2003

what do you mean..second label wine? If you look at the web site for chateau cantemerle and see their own label, it says haut-medoc.

By the way...you guys are great to spend so much time on this one thing...thank you!

- winoweenie - 11-18-2003

The 2nd label wine of each Chateau is named differently than the Grand Vin. In the case of Cantemerle it's Le Baron de Cantemerle.ww

- Thomas - 11-18-2003

ww, is Coufran Haut Medoc, or is it not?

- KateMaine - 11-18-2003

Hmmmmmmmmm......I just looked at their web site again. The label that says, Haut-Medot, is their grand cru wine. So, we need another answer as to why that is on the label.

I've been thinking to make a mushroom cheese pate, of some sort, to serve with. What do you think?

- Auburnwine - 11-18-2003

Well, it's been six hours since my bowl of breakfast porridge, so anything sounds good to me right now.

I think that would be a very nice combination.

- winoweenie - 11-18-2003

Sorry Foodie-Poo didn' pay that much attention. In reply, yes Coufran is a Cru Bourgeois of Haut Medoc. Made primarily of Merlot with a dash of Cabernet Sauv it's a nice but not great wine. WW