WineBoard
grilled lamb - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: grilled lamb (/thread-92.html)

- Georgie - 03-25-2003

Sister and brother-in-law are planning Easter dinner. Grilled lamb for the main course. They asked me to find out what wine to serve.

- Innkeeper - 03-25-2003

Syrah/shiraz from the New World, or Rhone from the Old.

- dinwiddie - 03-28-2003

Lamb is one of those meats that can go well with almost any red wine. Depending on how you are seasoning it, I would suggest that an Australian Shiraz or a Cote du Rhone is a very good bet. However it will also complement a Chianti (regular or Reserva) or if you want something lighter, a Rioja or a Dolcetto. I have enjoyed pairing a good Merlot with lamb chops from the grill. And if you want to impress, try a nice Bordeaux. The 1999 Château Cap de Faugères is excellent and inexpensive.

You could even try a good CA cabernet as long as it wasn't overoaked.

- Drew - 03-28-2003

I particularly like Shiraz or Cotes du Rhone with lamb and often, at those special dinners, will have different bottles of each so the guests can compare...makes the dinner more interesting.

Drew

- Georgie - 03-28-2003

Yum. Thanks, folks. Sounds delish! Dinwiddie, your name brings back memories. My brother taught in Dinwiddie, VA for quite a few years. Can't count how many road trips we made there for visits!

- Innkeeper - 03-28-2003

DW, would you please give some examples of "a good merlot?"

- dinwiddie - 03-28-2003

Georgie, I have the name because I lived there for my senior year in HS. (Many years ago) My parents live in Petersburg and I know lots of people in Dinwiddie. What school and when did you brother teach there?

Innkeeper, Depends on the price you want to pay. Unfortunately merlot is getting to be expensive. Some I like are:

1998 Pride Napa-Sonoma Counties
1999 Chateau Souverain Alexander Valley
1999 Chateau Ste. Michelle Columbia Valley Canoe Ridge Estate Vineyard
1999 Luna Napa Valley

The Concha y Toro's (98-00) are really good buys. Others that are good QPRs are Bogle (2000), Columbia Crest (98,99), Pepperwood Grove (98,99), and Casa Lapostolle (2000) all are relatively inexpensive and good value for the money. There have been a lot of good Merlots coming out of Chile as you can see.

The 2000 Shafer Napa Valley is really good, but expensive,

- Innkeeper - 03-28-2003

Pretty good choices that just about cover the block with a few more exceptions from Napa and WA. Disagree with the Chilians. They all taste like green peppers to me, and that is fine if you like them in wine. I don't.

- Drew - 03-29-2003

Also second the Chateau Ste. Michelle Columbia Valley Canoe Ridge Estate....good stuff.

DRew

- Georgie - 03-29-2003

Thank you, all. Dinwiddie, my brother, Stu Serine, taught in Rohoic Elementary from 1977-1984. I guess you wouldn't have known him. They lived in a tiny place named Stony Creek, amidst the tobacco,corn and soybean fields. We're talkin' country, folks! Spent lots of time in Petersburg. What a nice town.