WineBoard
2002 Provenance Mount Veeder Merlot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Merlot (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Provenance Mount Veeder Merlot (/thread-8923.html)

- oostexan - 06-10-2006

Yeah, I know...Merlot is totally out of fashion. Just look at this board, only one Merlot tasting note in the last 60 days. I have a couple cases of Merlot in the cellar that I have collected over the past several years during trips to Napa (not including my Bordeaux), and thought I would pull one out to see if I was crazy or not. At the time I bought it, I thought it was great...but strange things can happen when you spend all day drinking wine in Napa.

Provenance is one of my favorite Napa wineries. Tom Rinaldi, who was the head winemaker at Duckhorn for close to 20 years, left to be the founding winemaker at Provenance. I think that his wines are outstanding, and all are still reasonable priced, though they have been creeping up there over the past few years.

Tonight was a night and I wanted to cork something special. The wifey and I spent all day working hard on the yard, and we decided it was time to break the diet and put a couple Ribeyes on the grill. So this wine washed down a few Ribeyes, some grilled corn coated in Olive oil, and grilled onions and tomatoes. Geez, I had that grill as hot as I could get it when I threw all of this yummy grub on it.

Anyway, on to the wine. I corked it, poured, then let it air in the glasses for close to 45 minutes before we started driking it. And WOW, what a nose! Dense aroms of earth and casis. On the palate, a mouthfull of dense and rich Merlot. Gobs of concetrated fruit with a subtle chocolate note on the back of the palate. As it aired out, it just kept getting better and better. Washed down a couple seared Ribeyes in perfoect fashion.

If your going to drink Merlot, this is what it is supposed to be.

I hope the purchase of Provenance by Chalone does not force Rinaldi to leave, he is doing great things in that winery.

[This message has been edited by oostexan (edited 06-10-2006).]

- winoweenie - 06-11-2006

Hi OOs and a very fine post that does justice to both the winery and winemaker. Merlot has been maligned unjustly, IMHO, mainly because of the many insipid products foisted on a gullible public during the rush to find red wine after the "Wine Paradox" story-line. Then along comes "Sideways" and the lemmings all run over to the alter of Pinot. I've been a fan of certain mer;ots almost as long as I've been a believer in Cabernet. EVERY year my "must-buy" list contains merlots from Duckhorn, Pahlmeyer, Shafer,and Pride. Also when available here I buy several from Washington like Leonetti and Quicilda Creek.
Will definately look for the Provenance after reading your post. Great wine is not confined to any one grape nor region nor winery but by great winemakers dedicated to putting their souls and talent in the bottle
each and every vintage. Bemember, one of the worlds greatest and most expensive red wine, Petrus, is over 90% merlot. WW

- Innkeeper - 06-11-2006

Sounds like a winner. You are right, there are a few good Merlots out there. I checked, and did post on one since last June.

- oostexan - 12-06-2006

Corked another one of these wonderful bottles tonight and it continues to evolve and mature. The chocolate has come forward, and the fruit is just so wonderful. Took two hours to air, but my goodness...fantastic wine. The upfront chocolate and lushness reminds me a lot of a 1993 BV Georges Latour that I had last week.

I have tried several Merlots this year trying to find one as good - Shafer, Duckhorn, etc.

This is the best Napa Merlot I have had all year. No, I have not tried the Paloma or the Pride, both of which get a lot of press. Oh, and WW, this is the Mt Veeder designated cuvee. I have not tried the "Napa" one this year from Provenance, per your TN.

Mark

- winoweenie - 12-07-2006

This winery has made great strides since Tom took over as winemaker. His Merlots,IMHO, are currently in the top tier of this varietal. Glad to hear they have aging potential. Haven't heard anything about the staff being changed since the Chalone aquisition. WW