WineBoard
Merlot versus Cabernet Sauvignon? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Merlot (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Merlot versus Cabernet Sauvignon? (/thread-8899.html)

- quijote - 03-24-2003

One of the roadblocks I've encountered in my quest to develop an ability to distinguish aromas and flavors of different wines is that, in many cases, merlot and cab seem very similar to me. At the beginning of my explorations, much of this had to do with the fact that the two are typically blended in Bordeaux and some New World wines, so the untrained palate cannot readily pick up on the differences.

The tastings in Andrea Immer's book have helped a bit, but the differences seem only to apply to the wines that she has listed in her book. Some unlisted merlots I've tried have been very full-bodied like cabs, and some cabs I've tried have been very medium-bodied like merlots. Also, I've found that, at times, the flavors and aromas ascribed to one can be found in the other.

Is this just me and my inability to tell a merlot from a cab? Or do other people sometimes come up against a similar situation? It's very frustrating.

- Innkeeper - 03-24-2003

The predominent varietal aroma in merlot is plums. For cabernet sauvignon it is Cassis. Cassis is a brandy made from black currents. If you don't want to spring for a bottle of Cassis to become acquainted, look for English Black Current jelly in one of those fancy jelly places. Lower priced wines from both grapes won't necessarily show varietal character, but once it is shown there is no mistaking plums for black currents.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 03-24-2003).]

- quijote - 03-24-2003

Thanks, IK--I'll spring for a bottle of cassis. I bought some plums yesterday precisely in order to become familiar with the aroma; they're dark on the outside but golden on the inside. Is this the right kind? I've heard "dark plums" and "black plums" used as a descriptor for varius wines; are they yellow or purple or some other color inside?

Thanks again.

- Innkeeper - 03-24-2003

You have the right stuff.

- Nguigmi - 03-25-2003

In case you want to get more aquainted with merlots and cabs, the wine cave in Madison is having a Bordeaux wine tasting this weekend. You should be able to find their website if you do a search for barriques wine cave.

I've been going to their tastings for the past two weeks (Loire and Rhone valleys) -- it's very educational and very reasonably priced. You get to taste 7-8 wines for $12...I think it's going to be more expensive for the Bordeaux tasting though.

Nguigmi

- quijote - 03-25-2003

Wow, thanks for the tip. I've been trying to find such tastings in the Milwaukee metro, but everything either is on Monday nights (can't do that) or costs big bucks (no trust fund here). Unfortunately, I cannot go to Mad-town this weekend (I'll be in Toronto), but I'll contact the Wine Cave to see if they offer these tastings on a constant basis. Thanks for the tip.

By the way--have you found a really, really, really good wine shop in the area yet? I've been to several places, and they all have decent, representative selections, but I haven't yet found a place with a really deep selection.

-Q

- Nguigmi - 03-26-2003

Hmm...I don't think there are any wine shops that have a really great selection like you can get in Chicago.

But, depending on what you're looking for, some shops do have a much better selection than others. I like New World Wines on the east side if you're looking for something from NZ/Australia/South America etc -- they have a nice selection of South African wines too.

Other than that, Otto's ( I think it's called) on Oakland is pretty good, or Discount liquor (not really all that discounted though), Chuckie's on the south side is nice.

Which one do you like best?

Nguigmi

- quijote - 03-26-2003

I've been buying most of my wine at Downer Liquors and Sendik's on Downer because they lie on my path home from work. I've also gone a few times to Discount, Sendik's on Oakland, New World Wines, and a few others.

Today I went to Otto's on Oakland and really liked their selection and prices--thanks for the tip. I also went to Grapes and Grain up in Mequon, and it probably has the best overall wine selection I've seen in Milwaukee so far. I also like the display format; the wines are positioned properly, and they're not all crammed together (like in Sendik's).

At G&G there's also a temperature-controlled room for premium wines such as high-end Bordeaux and Champagne. I'm surprised none of the other stores I've visited here have such a room.

It seems that G&G has free wine tastings every Saturday afternoon (they have a tasting room), and they have lots of seminars on Monday and Wednesday evenings.

On my "to visit" list is Mo's Market on Plankinton, downtown. I hear they have seminars, too.

But I'm still looking for the Grail of wine shops here in Mke, and it may be that I'll have to go to Madison or Chicago for a store that really impresses me....

-Q

- JohnG - 03-28-2003

I, too, have explored the wine shops of greater Milwaukee without finding the Holy Grail. On the other hand, I've found a few that manage to fill the ol' glass quite nicely.

I agree that Grapes & Grain has the best selection, and I appreciate the fact that they have the wine lying down rather than standing up. The cool room is a trip, too. The other nice thing is that they have regular tastings as well as programs that invite chefs of good restaurants in and talk about wine-food matches.

Sendik's on Oakland has a relatively small but very nice collection and the new wine guy there is very helpful and knowledgable. Plus, they have free tastings on Saturday afternoons. And you can pick up tasty cheeses, breads, etc. to go with your wine.

I've not been to any of the formal tastings around town, but I'd be interested in hearing the impressions of my fellow Milwaukeeans.

Oh, and go Golden Eagles!

John

- quijote - 03-31-2003

I didn't know that Sendik's on Oakland has tastings on Saturdays! A few weeks ago the wine guy there mentioned tastings at V. Richards in Brookfield (same owners as Sendik's), and I've been planning to go to those, but I'd much rather drive only a mile instead of several. Thanks for the info, and here's a toast to Marquette, the soon-to-be winner of the NCAA tournament!