WineBoard
Why Do NZ SB's Taste That Way? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Why Do NZ SB's Taste That Way? (/thread-8836.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Thomas - 05-09-2003

Auburnwine, I find some NZ SB taste like what we call kiwi fruit. Is that a similarity to guava? You are toying with my taste buds...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-09-2003).]

- quijote - 05-10-2003

>>Auburnwine, were you really born in the tropics? (Will I regret asking that question?)

What is monstera?

>>Wondersofwine, I recently found canned gooseberries in the canned fruits aisle of a nearby supermarket; the brand is called "Oregon." Also, check for canned gooseberries in the section where pie fillings are located.

- quijote - 05-10-2003

As far as descriptors for NZ SBs go, I have often seen "tropical fruits" and "passion fruit" referred to on NZSB labels. I've seen guava mentioned in TNs in Spanish, but not in English, as I recall.

Whatever it may be, the aroma and taste sensation of NZSBs is really pretty amazing. When I had my first bottle of Cloudy Bay SB a couple of months ago, I thought the aroma and taste reminded me of lychees. But what it really boiled down to was that amazing, pungent, almost effervescent sensation of the wine. I can see why there are so many "cult" wines from the NZ SBs!

- Auburnwine - 05-10-2003

Qui - I was born in Mississippi, but spent my formative years in the Everglades (where the webs between my toes fully developed).

Monstera deliciosa is one of the most heavenly fruits in the world, one that relatively few people will ever eat. It's a member of the arum family that produces a very fragile fruit that is shaped like a honey-combed banana which tastes like banana and orange and pineapple. The plant is a common houseplant (split-leaf philodendron), but I don't know what would be required to make it fruit indoors.

Foodie, shame on you: you are doing everything possible to keep from eating a guava! Guava tastes nothing like kiwi (Chinese Gooseberry -- Actinidia chinensis).

My Aussie mates are always comparing Cabs to Vegemite. I think that it would be wonderful to have a food tasting of obscure wine references. Just as long as I don't stumble across a wine that tastes like Twiglets.

- Thomas - 05-10-2003

Heck, I once tasted a Chinese Chardonnay that reminded distinctly of rotted peanuts. During my childhood I tasted rotted peanuts out of small paper bags that were sold at baseball parks.

Recently, someone told me that some Chinese vineyards have peanuts planted between the rows. If true, then I was right. If true, the Chinese are wrong for doing it.

Vegemite? Sounds like Lucille Ball talking.
I don't know Auburnwine, the taste-off might cause gastrointestinal disorders.

Incidentally, I am not trying to worm out of tasting guava--just waiting for shortwiner to bring me some.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-10-2003).]

- Bucko - 05-10-2003

**I tasted rotted peanuts out of small paper bags**

This certainly explains a lot....... ahem.

- quijote - 05-10-2003

Speaking of funky fruits, last night I tried a Feijoa fruit. It had the texture of pear and kiwi, and the aroma and taste of kiwi infused with lime. And it reminded me of....NZ Sauvignon Blanc!

- quijote - 05-10-2003

That monstera sounds pretty darned good! I doubt I would ever find it around here, even in the ethnic groceries, but you never know....I've managed to find galangal and pepino melon on occasion, so maybe there's hope for Milwaukee....

- Auburnwine - 05-11-2003

The problem is that it is very, very fragile. Has to be eaten right off the plant.

- wondersofwine - 05-12-2003

Thanks, quijote, for the canned gooseberries suggestion. I have seen Oregon brand products and will look to see if they have the canned gooseberries. Saw something about a gooseberry tart being served in Ireland or England recently.

- ShortWiner - 05-12-2003

No luck on the guava search this weekend, foodie, but I was pretty busy and only got around to 3 or 4 stores. I'll be trying some more this week, however. Will you be at the shop next Saturday?

- quijote - 05-13-2003

Here's another fruit to throw into the loop: Passion Fruit! I bought a real Passion Fruit this weekend, and minutes ago sliced it open and scooped out the flesh and seeds. So far, the Passion Fruit aroma is the closest I've come to the NZSB-style aroma. I haven't been able to find a real guava around here, though, so this eureka is tentative....

If you get a chance to try a fresh passion fruit (and not jarred or canned), do so; I can now see why it's used so much as a descriptor.

- quijote - 05-13-2003

Wondersofwine, if there's a German or Scandinavian market in your part of the world, check them for canned (or perhaps even fresh) gooseberries. Wisconsin has a lot of Teutonic and Nordic folks, so gooseberries have a market around here. If you can't find a can and would like me to send you one, let me know. (I can just see them at the post office--"What's This?")

- stevebody - 05-14-2003

Got a friend who works in the restaurant trade? Ask tyem to get you some guava or gooseberries. Any good produce purveyor - even in Fayetteville - should be able to source both. It might cost you a bit more $$$ than the canned stuff but you'll spend less time searching and get to taste the real, fresh deal.

(Anyone reading this thread cold would think they'd stumbled into some shadowy fruit-freak chat room.)

- wondersofwine - 05-14-2003

LOL at your last line about fruit-freaks.

- girlperson1 - 05-25-2003

Goya Foods makes a Guava Paste that's simply out of this world.

And by the way, Guava is very healthy for you. After eating Guava you will have a very "moving experience" in your bathroom so be ready. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.goyafoods.com/english/products/product.html?prodCatID=3&prodSubCatID=25#75