WineBoard
Cabernet and Chocolate - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Cabernet and Chocolate (/thread-88.html)

- mrdutton - 02-20-2003

I knew it would be just a matter of time..... I'd previously mentioned, in another thread, that I'd read something about matching Cabernet Sauvignon with chocolate. Then I went on to say that I could not find the reference.

And all the while I was thinking how nicely that VanRuitan-Taylor CS - Syrah blend actually matched with the dark chocolate candy I'd been eating.

Well I found it today. So here goes, read this over and give it some thought (my thought would be it would have to be a cs meant for consumption young with not a lot of overpowering, age worthy tannins to get in the way):

From an article in Hampton Roads Monthly, February 2003, by Jerry Cronin.

The scene is softly lit as the two lovers cuddle in front of the fire. On a small table sits a box of fine chocolates and a bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne. The man delicately feeds a truffle to his beloved and hands her a glass of bubbly. She brings it to her lips.... Cut! What's wrong with this picture?

The woman, a savvy oenophile, is being polite. Mentally, however, she is going through her black book, trying to decide who else to invite to the charity wine dinner next week.

Despite what is sometimes displayed on the silver screen, champagne and chocolate is not a very good pairing. The dryness of champagne and lack of fruity notes clash with the richness of cocoa and its butter. While not horrible, it does not leverage the natural strengths of the wine or the chocolate. A better choice is a cabernet.

Cabernet Sauvignon is known for its dark fruity notes. You will commonly find tasting descriptions that include comments about berries, vanilla, cherries, currents and coffee. If you think about it, these are tastes that are complementary to chocolate - as demonstrated by how many of the treats in a mixed box of candy incorporate those ingredients. Some cabernets are even described as having a hint of chocolate.

By matching the full-bodied red wine with the chocolate, you take advantage of flavor themes that are either present in both the dirnk and the treat or are harmonious on the palate. The cabernet-chocolate combination works well enough to be found in various sauces, cakes, mousses and other delicacies. A simple Web search will provide you with a variety of options for ordering, or recipes for trying.

Other wines match up favorable with chocolate. If you want to stay with red, consider Merlot. If your companion prefers white, go for a fuity, slightly dry Riesling. In any case, try to find a wine that incoporates flavors or ingredients you have previously enjoyed with chocolate.

Now let's change the scene.

Roll the cameras. The leading man hands the woman a glass of fine Cabernet Sauvignon. She smiles and thinks excitedly to herself, "He knows." And the evening warms up.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-20-2003).]

- Thomas - 02-20-2003

Mr. D, you know I have no opinions on anything connected to wine (right?) but, when this guy said something about fruity Riesling with chocolate he lost me; until then, I was with him all the way.

- mrdutton - 02-20-2003

Oh I know foodie, no opinions at all......

I thought it best to include the entire article rather than bowdlerize it.