WineBoard
Goats do Roam - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Goats do Roam (/thread-8787.html)

- Innkeeper - 01-09-2002

2000 Charles Back, Fairview SA, Goats do Roam ($13). Kind of surprised there has not been another post of this one, as it has wide distribution, has an interesting name, and is a very nice wine. It is made from pinotage (33%), shiraz (22%), cinsault (13%), grenache (13%), carignan (10%), gamy noir? (5%), and mourvedre (4%). Because of this mix, and perhaps because of the pinotage upfront, it seems more like a light CDP than a CDR. It does give a Rhoney impression, more so than the products of a lot of American Rhone Rangers. It seems borderline medium to full, even though it weighs in at 13.5% alcohol. Hits you with raisiny and savory aromas that go on to your tongue tip. Juicy ripe fruit and remarkable complexity with a touch of dirt and smooth tannin across the palate. All followed by a decent finish. Matched well with well seasoned grillpanned pork chops.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 01-10-2002).]

- Bucko - 01-09-2002

SA is a region that I have never ventured into. Why? Don't know. They never get much press or hype, little reviews, nothing to spur me on......

- Innkeeper - 01-10-2002

Consider yourself spurred.

- Scoop - 01-10-2002

Pinotage itself can be very interesting, e.g Zoennenblum. I also believe South Africa will be a region to watch: there's good climate and 300 years of viticulture to build on, along with new investment and interest in raising the quality of wine-making.

I'll look for the Goats do roam.

Cheers,

Scoop

- winoweenie - 01-10-2002

Seems to me the above wine would be the featured juice for Buckos' cellar. He could pass it off as " Home-Made ". WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Scoop - 01-23-2002

Had the GDR the other night, and I must say IK that agree with your post: it certainly approximates a solid Rhone, and it's a good value. It's still got some of that noticeable -- and attractive (at least to me) -- Pinotage funkiness (earthy, stemmy and jammy), which does not diminish the wine in any way. In fact, it gives it a South African stamp. It also improved with air (as the bottle was drained!).

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 01-24-2002

Bucko, don't hate me for this, PLEASE, but I shall take you to task.

A wine passion needs no spurring on--it is your duty to explore as much as you can, without having to wait for publicity and press; in fact, the two should be shunned; for their reason has little to do with wine and more to do with sales.

As for SA, some fine reds are coming and Chenin is always an interesting wine from there. I have, however, had some SA Zinfandels that never spurred me on.

- Kcwhippet - 08-24-2002

Saw the 2001 version at a local shop tonight so we picked it up - good price, too - $8.99. This version has, in order, Grenache, Pinotage, Shiraz, Cinsault, and Carignan but I don't know the percentages. Now they also make a Goats do Roam Rose and White as well as - are you ready for this - a Goat Rotie.

- Scoop - 08-27-2002

I'm sure the Goat de Beaune and Goat d'Or can't be too far away!

Cheers,

Scoop

- Kcwhippet - 08-27-2002

Ooh. I sure hope not.

- Botafogo - 08-27-2002

>>They never get much press or hype, little reviews, nothing to spur me on......<<

I don't want to bust your balls TOO much but does that translate to "they don't send me free samples"?

If you want to provide any value oriented information to your readers you have GOT to blaze a new path. Otherwise you are just piling on and adding to inflation...

From our Holiday 2000 Newsletter:

You may ask what inspires us to traipse through the backwoods of Romagna, the near deserts of Puglia and the mountains of Lombardia seeking new and exciting wines instead of just selling the stuff you read about in magazines? Well, recently we had dinner with an amazing Champagne Grower and among the other guests was the Editor/Publisher of a major food and wine oriented rag who also contributes to scores of other publications. He was COMPLETELY ignorant of quality zones or producers in Italy (which he visits regularly on other peoples’ dimes) outside of Toscana, Piedmonte and the Veneto (and he was waaaaaay behind the curve even there)! He dismissed our discussion of legendary winemakers Eduardo Valentini and Emidio Pepe with "but it's just Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, how good could it be?" like he was your blue haired auntie saying "but, sonny, it's just Jazz....I'm sure that Mr. Davis is a fine trumpeter but it’s not serious music, try some Andrew Lloyd Weber". And people wonder why we are always foaming at the mouth about the press.

It’s not hard to figure out: if EVERYONE is talking up the same zona, cantina, consultant enologist or varietal (because they either don’t do their own original research or only taste wines from wineries which send free samples or fly them to their villas) then it is no different than if all the analysts are touting the same stock, the market becomes completely exuberantly irrational!

Hey, it's Tuesday (my Monday) morning, Roberto

PS: We sell the GDR and also it's Rose version and they rock!

- mrdutton - 08-30-2002

My case of 2001 Goats Do Roam is on its way and should be here shortly after labor day.

Pops has it for $7.99 (case discount price).

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 08-30-2002).]

- thewoodman - 08-30-2002

I'll jump in and agree that the Goats is more rhoney than most rangers, and a solid wine for the price. The Goats rose puts most california rose's to shame as well.

- Kcwhippet - 09-03-2002

Alright - weird night here (I think IK would appreciate this). I opened the 2001 Goats do Roam, poured a small taste and Judy said "Oohhh. This is bitter and sour. I don't think I like this." So, to go with the Chicken Rolatini I immediately switched to a 2000 Tres Picos (should I switch to the Spanish category?). Well, after dinner was finished and we were on the last sip of the wine, Judy said "I'm sure glad this wine opened up. It really tastes like a Spanish wine now." She didn't know I switched from Goats do Roam to Tres Picos; she claims not to like Grenache; she claims not to have a clue about wines. Anyway, when I told her what the wine was, she was amused because she thought she didn't like Grenache. I would give my left --- whatever--- to have a minor part of Judy's palate. She claims to know squat about wine, but her palate memory is just incredible. Well, at any rate, she really liked the Tres Picos (finally) but really dissed the Goats do Roam, which I liked a lot.

- Drew - 09-17-2002

Jumping on this band wagon I popped a 2001 Goats tonight and was not impressed. Tasted like a simple Rhone with some earthy nuances but no QPR in my book. Maybe the 2001 is a step down from the 2000? I'm with Judy on this one...pop somethin' else KC. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 09-17-2002).]