WineBoard
Your input on NZ SB - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Your input on NZ SB (/thread-8690.html)

- tandkvd - 11-16-2003

Have been reading about Sauvignon Blanc latly, and am wanting to get some for Thanksgiving. There are five that I have read good reviews on, that I can get localy. What would you recomend? Or do you recomend another that I can see if I can get?

Stony Bay 2001 $11.99 - I have tried and liked this one.

Brancott 2002 $10.99

Crossings 2001 $14.99

Jackson Estate 2002 $15.99

Kim Crawford 2002 $16.99

- hotwine - 11-16-2003

Haven't tried a single NZ SB yet; they're just not common in these parts yet. But do keep stocks of Rossignole Sancerre and Kendall-Jackson SB for private dinners and parties, resp.

- Thomas - 11-16-2003

I have had earlier vintages of Stoney Bay and Brancott and liked each.

- Bucko - 11-16-2003

NZ SB is meant to be consumed upon release. The 01s are fading and the 02s have lost their luster. Buy the 03s coming on the market.

- Thomas - 11-17-2003

Can you find Stoneleigh in your area? Another good candidate.

Bucko is correct--drink them young.

- Auburnwine - 11-17-2003

I have had the Brancott, Crossings and Jackson Estate (not sure which vintages, though). As I recall, I prefer the Jackson Estate. The last Brancott (a reserve) was a little disappointing, perhaps because it was a 2001 that had lost its zest. Yes, drink 'em young.

I continue to sing the praises of the Domaine de Pouy '02 Côtes de Gascogne Vin de Pays that I had in the early autumn. It blew the doors off several good NZ SB's, and it only costs $7. A real find, though widely available.

- Kcwhippet - 11-17-2003

Another to try is Lawson's Dry Hills SB. That's one I've found that goes especially well with raw oysters.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 11-17-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 11-17-2003

We have had very good luck with Simonsig Estate, Sauvignon Blanc, Stellenbosch, SA. It seems to have longer legs than the Kiwis. We enjoyed an '01 in June with no sign of fade, and the '02s are drinking just fine thank you.

- ShortWiner - 11-17-2003

I've had the Brancott and liked it--it's one of the most herbaceous/grassy of those I've tried. Not quite as outrageously good as the Omaka Springs and (especially) the Saint Clare.

- JohnG - 11-17-2003

The Kim Crawford is really yummy, probably my favorite SB. For a few fewer dollars, Nobilo makes a good NZ-style SB, and for even fewer dollars, the Castle Rock SB is nice.

I also second the Domain du Pouy that Auburnwine noted. I don't believe that it's an SB -- it has just a touch of sweetness -- but is a great P/V buy.

- Thomas - 11-17-2003

Well, we all ruined tand's life--he did say the list was five that he could get locally, and we give him a hundred he likely can't find. Tand, it's obvious you need another local retailer...

- tandkvd - 11-18-2003

The five I listed were the ones that I had read the best reviews about. And the Total Wines is just the closest retailer to me, and they have others to choose from. There are other wine shops on in Charlotte, I just don't like to drive there on the weekends if I don't have to. I work and drive in Charlotte every day! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img] Although there is not much time to shop for wine during the week.

But this is just what I wanted, a variety to choose from. I have found that to be the best part of the venture into wines. The more I try, the more I see there is to try. So, thanks to all for responding. I am going to print these responses for this weekend.

By the way Wondersofwine, we will be traviling up to around Jefferson this week end to get some Christmas trees (my wife usualy puts up 3 trees). Do you know of any good places to buy wine between here and there.

- Thomas - 11-18-2003

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you had access only to those five--but of course I didn't let that stop me from mentioning something else.

Hope you get to try all the ones we posted--my aim is to try every wine in production before I check out...

Incidentally, sorry I couldn't help you with your email request--not economically feasible, what with the cost of shipping.I would have sent you an email but my damned dial up service truly stinks and I can't send email today. Next week is-wine will be on DSL service.

- tandkvd - 11-23-2003

I have decided to go with the Kim Crawford. Mainly because World Market has it on sell at I think $12.99. And I am hoping JohnG knows his juice. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] They were out of stock Sat., but said they should get more in Tuesday. I am not shure of the vintage but Total Wine has the 2003 in stock.

- hotwine - 11-27-2003

I furnished 2002 Brancott SB for Thanks giving dinner at the ranch today, and it was a big hit. Was concerned because it has a bit of a bite, but that just helped it handle the assortment of flavors from the turkey & dressing, sweet potatos with brown sugar topping, brussels sprouts in cream with bacon, squash casserole, cranberry salad, etc. A wimpy SB would have rolled over and died. (Think I'll do that now... burp.) My first NZ SB, and I'm happy.