WineBoard
vintage '98 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: vintage '98 (/thread-8688.html)

- brappy - 06-23-2007

Rosemount Estate Balmoral Syrah '98 - Beautiful color; no bricking.. nose is vibrant w/ cherries and other red fruit; also some moist tobacco.... Palate has dried cherries and fresh cherries, touch of chocolate.... Great acid-tingling mid-palate... Nice lengthy finish

Wolf Blass 'Black Label' Jimmy Watson Trophy Cabernet '98 - Outstanding color here as well; very slight bricking on the top of the rim... Nose has some red fruit along with eucalyptus/menthol... palate continues with great red fruit, touch of eucalyptus and espresso... great acid... This wine's balance is great right now.

Wolf Blass Platinum Shiraz '98 - Color is dark; very dark... Nose has red fruit and chocolate.... Palate has exactly the same with a touch of dried red currant. Finish is a little shorter on this one but still a nice wine.

Greg Norman Estates Reserve Shiraz '98 - Color here is perfect also... Great red fruit with some cinnamon; maybe a touch of butter....Palate is amazing. Mouthfilling and a wonderful texture. cherries and other red fruit; Stunning wine; great acid; perfect balance... I'll muster up enough energy to finish this one off.

These wines were opened early this morning (Friday morning). The platinum shiraz was better this morning. The Greg Norman was the best one this morning and tonight. The notes are from tonight.

Actually, the entire tasting was of Wolf Blass wines with a few other Foster's owned wines. Of all the wines I drink from Australia, this was my first to try Wolf Blass. I was and am impressed. Not trying to say all the wines I tasted today (about 60) were great, but a significant number of these were beautifully made.

As to the '98 vintage: What a great vintage! These wines are still aging slowly and gracefully. I believe the next great vintage from southern Australia is the '04. We'll see.....

mark

- winoweenie - 06-23-2007

Neat notes Brapster! Have had several of the above W-B wines and agree they are consistantly well-made. WW

- dananne - 06-23-2007

Nice notes. Have you happened to try any '98s from Mt. Langi Ghiran or Coriole recently? It's been awhile since I last tried them, and I was beginning to wonder when to revisit.

- brappy - 06-25-2007

Unfortunately, no. I do have a few more '98s in the cellar, but not those 2. I have a tasting coming up in which the theme is verticals. Every couple is bringing at least a 3 year vertical blind. Then we'll guess what it is. I'm bringing a 6 year V of E&E Black Pepper '98 - '03 inclusive. Should be interesting.

mark

- dananne - 06-25-2007

Sounds fun, and I will be looking forward to the notes!

- newsguy - 06-25-2007

thanks for the notes. i agree that the '98 vintage for south australia just gets better and better as these wines age. and continue to be impressed by the '01s, although they're a notch below the 98s. although '02 was very highly touted as well, have been disappointed by quite a few bottlings from that vintage. have high hopes for '04 and '05.