WineBoard
Oz Cab - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Oz Cab (/thread-8642.html)

- brappy - 09-27-2006

I wouldn't even believe I could write a post like this a few years ago.

I taste a few Oz wines each year. Probably 2000 or so. I've always thought when you wanted a shiraz, this is where you went. But for the last few vintages, it's the Cabs that have kept me impressed. The last few vintages meaning '04, '05, and '06.

Don't get me wrong, the shiraz from Oz is still #1. I absolutely love the creamy fruit-driven wines that are coming out of south Australia. I don't believe anyone can compete with the Barossa valley for shiraz. Especially up in the Greenock Creek area.

The Cabs, in this same area, and just a few years ago, I had a hard time dealing with the green notes they evoked. But it wasn't just the green notes. It was the overall disjointed cabs that were being produced. The finish of these wines was particularly tough. All I would get is a bitter tannin quality that was almost unbearable. I couldn't even finish a bottle.

But since the '04, and especially the '04, all has changed. The green notes have not disappeared but have been less; to the point where they add complexity to the wine instead of adding imbalance. The fruit is just better. The tannins on the finnish are sweet tannins. A touch of earth and leather have entered the palate. Etc.

I'm not sure what has led to this. It could be the Aussies are making better Cabs. It could also be the vintages have been better. Or it could be my palate is changing. Maybe it is a combination of the three.

Let me know what you think,

mark

[This message has been edited by brappy (edited 09-27-2006).]

- winoweenie - 09-28-2006

IMHO it's a combination of the points you've stated plus the fact their vines are maturing and producing better fruit overall. WW

- wondersofwine - 09-28-2006

Several years ago I thought I wasn't particularly fond of Cabernet Sauvignon in general (too tannic). Then I had a Henry's Drive Cabernet Sauvignon that I preferred over the Henry's Drive Shiraz and thought maybe I had been too hasty to forsake Cabernet. (The line-up of ten-year old California Cabernets that WW brought to the Finger Lakes offline further convinced me that with age the tannins mellow to an acceptable level). I also admire what some Australia wineries/winemakers achieve in the way of blended reds.

- VouvrayHead - 09-28-2006

I agree...
A month or so ago a winemaker from Australia was doing the rounds up here with his product and a local rep.
They had a cab that just knocked my socks off. We talked about just what you were saying. He says that the vines are maturing and the winemakers are getting better at dealing with the grape.
I'll try to look up his name/vineyard and post it.