WineBoard
Penfold - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Penfold (/thread-8636.html)

Pages: 1 2

- sedhed - 02-03-2004

I know this is a big producer downunder but I never tried one. Can I please get a recommendation on one that won't break the bank to get me started?
Thanks

- winoweenie - 02-03-2004

I like all of the Penfolds releases but IMHO the best P/Q wine is their Bin 389.WW

- newsguy - 02-03-2004

i agree completely with the weener. bin 389 is the way to go. this cab/shiraz blend is a must buy for me every vintage. but be warned: the '01 bottling is a tannic beast, moreso than the previous vintages i've tried (96-00). the '01 needs at least 3 years cellar time to calm down (and will be peaking in 5 to 7 i'd say).

- sedhed - 02-03-2004

Thanks. What's a reasonable price for that?

- winoweenie - 02-04-2004

Here it runs in the mid to high 20s' if that helps. WW

- newsguy - 02-04-2004

and at my regular shop (in tarpon springs), it's $22.99. and if you're going to try a bottle of the '01 anytime soon, i would recommend decanting for at least 2-3 hours prior to drinking. that will help soften all those tannins.

- sedhed - 02-04-2004

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try my local wine store tomorrow for the 389.
Newsguy where do you shop in Tarpon Springs? I lived in Newport Richey for years And did a lot of shopping at B-21.

- newsguy - 02-04-2004

B-21 is the place. the best everyday wine prices in the tampa bay area, coupled with probably the widest inventory in the area. and i drive past it every day going to and from work.

- sedhed - 02-04-2004

Lucky dog newsguy. That's a one of a kind wine store.

- Kcwhippet - 02-04-2004

Running about $27 in the Boston area.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 02-05-2004).]

- sedhed - 02-05-2004

Went to my local ABC store today and of course I could not buy only one penfolds.
With their thursday 10% discount:
389{2001} only vintage of this they had.$20.60
138(1999} $16.00
Rawson's Retreat Shiraz Cabernet{2002}$8.00.

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 02-05-2004).]

- newsguy - 02-05-2004

that's a nice sample of penfolds, sedhed. i think you'll enjoy all 3, starting with the rawson's and working your way up to the 389. nice price on that, BTW. and i bet that 138 is drinking very nice right about now.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 02-05-2004).]

- sedhed - 02-05-2004

I'm taking IK's advise and letting newly bought wines rest for awhile. Next week I'll start with the Rawson and based on your notes, I'll keep the 389 for a year or two but may buy more before they are bought up.

- newsguy - 02-05-2004

yes, i'm debating how much of the 389 to buy. i wanted a case, but waited a few days and now the store's down to just 5 bottles. i would definitely suggest trying one before deciding to buy more. as i said, decant for at least 2-3 hours before drinking as it is loaded with sharp tannins that really need to soften. the '01 389 is not the fruit forward, soft, luscious bottle that previous vintages i've tried have been. this is a tight, tannic beast right now that's going to need lots of time to calm down and really open up. if you load up, you'll need to be patient.

btw, where in fla. do you live now?

- sedhed - 02-05-2004

I live up near Gainesville now; recent move. Try the evil empire{ABC} if b-21 runs out of 389. 10% off on mondays and Thurdays with an ABC card. I'll probably give the 389 a try before I decide to buy more.

- newsguy - 02-06-2004

i spend most of my weekends in gainesville. my wife is in her third year of veterinary medical school at UF.

my wine rental locker is at the ABC store 5 minutes from where i live in clearwater. is that 10% off only on cases or any wine purchases those days?

- sedhed - 02-06-2004

If you get their ABC card it's 10% on any wine that's not already on sale. You get a monthly ad that sometimes has money off coupons. The shops I go in gainesville are Dorn's on 42 or 43 st. and 16th ave. and the Wine and Cheese Shop on Main. I graduated from UF law school in 1982; great town.

- sedhed - 02-10-2004

I still have not tried the 389.

The 189 had good body more tannis and less fruit than the Rawson's Retreat. Went well with a steak 13.9%. The grapes are evenly split among Shiraz, Mouredre, and Grenache so it was hard to get a handle on particular flavors.

Rawson's Retreat is at 14.5%. The grapes are 60% Shiraz and 40% cab. At first I thought this was going be a "fruit Bomb" IK described one time; all I could taste was the fruit. however, after about 20-30 minutes the acidity kicked in and the balance leveled off. The Shiraz dominated the flavor. I enjoyed this wine but I can't think of a good food match. Some what like a Barbera with a little too much fruit.

I also bought a Penfolds Koonunga Hill 2001.
The grapes are 52% shiraz and 48% Cab. Alcohol is 13.9. This wine took about 30 minutes for the Cab. to show up and I could detect cassis and slight vanilla flavors besides the Shiraz flavors. The tannis are very soft so this wine needs to be consumed this year. Price was $10.90. I like this one the best. I think it can be matched with any food you can have with a Cab. or Rhone.
All the above wines were purple in color.

- newsguy - 02-10-2004

nice notes, sed. remember on the 389: decant. i always pour a small taste in a glass when i'm pouring into the decanter, and that sip right after opening the 389 was almost painful. sharpest tannins i've come across.

- sedhed - 02-10-2004

NG
I bought an extra 389 today to try. But I'm not very experienced in tasting young wines for potential aging. I'll make sure I air it out real good before trying.