WineBoard
A Fistful of TN's - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: A Fistful of TN's (/thread-8602.html)

- Skeeter - 08-20-2007

Hey, all. Hope you've got a few minutes, as my new winestore job has resulted in a longish list of TN's for y'all. Mainly kiwi/aussie wines, with a couple of outsiders and one not-a-wine-but-let's-TN-it-anyhoo.

And so without further ado:

2005 Rippon Jeunesse Pinot Noir: Smooth, young-vine pinot. Big ripe nose, nice balance between its sweet cherry/berryfruits flavours and its fine-grained tannins. Great structure to it, too. On a second tasting a day later it smelled like rhubarb and cloves. (Well, to me anyway. My mental vocabulary is expanding, but as always, your results will probably vary.)

2006 Delta Pinot Noir: Funky, herbal aromas. Savoury spiced cherries, with a good acidic spine. Decent, if not the blockbuster the previous year apparently was.

2005 Red Rock “The Underarm” Syrah: Quite a drying syrah, with plenty of pepperyness. I like syrah, but this one has never really leapt out at me. I’ll keep on trying it, though.

2006 Delta Sauvignon Blanc: My first note is an underlined “Good”. That’s a good start. Typically Marlborough savvie, big, citric and sweaty. Fruit forward sav that’s ready to drink.

2005 Wolfblass Gold Label Shiraz: Very peppery, with a n ice smoky character. Great ripe berryfruit. Gotta give the Aussies their due, they know their shairz.

2005 Annies Lane Shiraz: And here’s more proof. Mellower than the last time I tried this one, but still mouth-filling and chewy. Nicely balanced and rounded, with good oak backing up the fruit. Very nice indeed.

2007 Lake Chalice Sauvignon Blanc: Interesting… much less acidity than I was expecting from on ’07. It’s no shrinking violet, though, as my notes mention nice passionfruit and apple flavours. (Plus an indecipherable scribble that could be anything from “violets” to “veal”… and probably isn’t either of those.) A lemon-drop
Aftertaste rounds this one off nicely.

2006 Rockburn Pinot Gris: Fairly full, creamy and with a little touch of residual sweetness. Not bad for a pinot gris, but as always, it left me wanting more. I’m hard to please with PGs.

2006 Roaring Meg Pinot Noir: Here’s one I was very interested in. I tried the 2004 debut, and gave it a big thumbs down. This time? Better. Much better. Not such a harsh finish, if still a little tannic for my taste. Another vintage or two, and we might be good friends.

2004 Wither Hills Chardonnay: Excellent yeasty/creamy body to the wine, but for the first time, it seemed to fade on me a little faster than I’d have liked. It was fairly late in the day at the tasting I tried it at, so maybe it had been open a little long. Either that or I’ve been spoiled my Mr. Marris for too long and set the bar too high. Regardless, I’m guessing it’d still be a stunning food wine.

2006 Chanarmuyo Petit Verdot: To Argentina we briefly go! “Petit” means “small”, right? Not this one. Inky black, deep woodsmoke nose. Huge and tannic. Give it a little time, methinks.

2005 Chunarmuyo Tannat: Woof! I’d never tried a tannat before. It’s no exaggeration to say I recoiled. Super-flinty nose that reminded me of wet concrete. (It was easier to take on the second whiff.) Big in every sense of the word, uber-dry and austere. (Yeah, I went there. But I looked up “austere” after hearing too many people mis-use and abuse the word. And this fits the bill.) There’s a little plum juice on the finish, but it’s pretty well buried right now.

2006 Sacred Hill Sauvignon Blanc: Pungent nose that screams “Marlborough. Excellent fruit flavours are melding together well, with really good mid-palate weight. (Great, my TN’s are veering dangerously into Wine Snob territory.) This is a good wine. And in New Zealand at least, excellent value for money.

2006 Akarua “The Gullies” Pinot Noir: Light ruby colour, nose-filling bouquet. Smoked plums and cherries, with fine tannic structure. Didn’t make me want to shout its name for the rooftops, but I’d happily drink a glass or two if you brought it over.

2005 Chateau Roustang: Whoa, French wine? That’s in the wrong place. Never mind, let’s run with it. It’s from Bordeaux, and for me was a little harsh. Grippy tannins overwhelmed the fruit, leading to a very drying finish. And then it copped out by dying on me too fast. Overly tannic AND short. Impressive, in all the wrong ways. Non, merci!

2004 Chapel Hill Shiraz/Grenache: Off to the McLaren Vale region we go. Sweet ripe fruit, supple, spiced and smooth as silk. (Alliteration rules!) Very drinkable. Just don’t read that TN out loud after a bottle, you’ll be wiping spittle off your monitor.

2006 Sacred Hill Riesling: Almost smells a little botrytised, but oddly, not on the palate. Oily texture, honeysuckle notes. Sacred Hill keeps on delivering the goods. That night I also sampled their syrah (Which was good) and their merlot. (Which was vaguely disappointing)

2006 Clearview Reserve Chardonnay: We got old-school styles going on here! Big oaky butterscotch bomb of a wine. Full-bodied, nutty and rich. Great stuff. (Not least for the fact it reminded me of their Unoaked chardy in my closet.)

2006 Pegasus Bay Sauvignon/Semillon: And coincidently, a bottle of this resides there too. Ripe and acidic, with a more vegetal style than your typical savvie. Crisp acids and a nice funky nose. Bring that along to dinner and you’ll go home happy.

2005 Chapel Hill Sangiovese: Not a grape I’ve had a lot of experience with, but this seemed like a good start. Ripe, fruit-driven Aussie red, a little pepper in the mix. Very juicy, drinking well.

2004 Chapel Hill Cabernet Sauvignon: There’s an Aussie cab sav for ya. Too dark to read a newspaper through, and still with enough tannic afterburn to pucker your cheeks like a lemon. If only I had the patience to open this bruisers up a little.

2001 Chapel Hill Cabernet Sauvignon: Like, for instance, this pre-aged version. It’s Big Tick o’ Approval time! Still huge, but mellowing beautifully. I even enthused about it’s “palate-caressing secondary development” in my notes. I’m not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed by that line. It’s a stunner, anyhoo.

Chapel Hill “The Devil” Port: Oh, my word. The Devil doesn’t just get the best tunes, it appears. He also gets a damn fine post-dinner beverage. Gorgeous, long and to die for. Just a perfect balance between fruit sweetness and cask structure. My only disappointment… our tax departments influence has pushed the price of this one to NZ$60+ for a bottle. I think it’s worth the splurge.

Finlandia Grapefruit Vodka: Yep, I’m coming from way out of left-field now. But I think it’s worth the TN. Crystal clear, with a very Cointreau-like citrus aroma. Very smooth, with a very likeable citric aftertaste. Not too hot, despite the 40% alcohol content. I wouldn’t knock it back straight, but should make an excellent mixer.

- Innkeeper - 08-20-2007

Great notes as usual Skeets. We've been enjoying a half box of 2006 Wild Rock Vin Gris, Pinot Noir Rose’, Central Otago this summer. Fantastic!

- winoweenie - 08-20-2007

Great notes as usual there Skeets! Will try to find some of the culprits. WW

- TheEngineer - 08-20-2007

holytoledo...I hope you spit....that's a lotta tasting for a day!! Even if its for work!

- Skeeter - 08-21-2007

Well, those notes were from a couple of tastings... but yeah, you taste more than a dozen wines in a row, you'd better be spitting.

Doubly so if there's a selection of spirits in the mix.

I paid a little penance for trying all these high-quality wines tonight, though. A use-it-or-lose-it bottle of non-vintage Aussie sauvignon left over from a family party. i probably should have left it.

I think I might have to marinate something in white wine tomorrow... [img]http://wines.com/ubb/tongue.gif[/img]