WineBoard
Oysters and Sunday Afternoon - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Oysters and Sunday Afternoon (/thread-860.html)

- mrdutton - 09-26-2000

Here is a snack we put together for Sunday afternoon NFL -

3 doz freshly shucked oysters on the half-shell
Salsa verde
Salsa Chunky Tomato/Onion
Heinz Chili Sauce
Tobassco sauce
Horse raddish (prepared)
Ice cream salt (rock salt)

Champagne or good sparkling wine. Our choice this time was a NV Schramsberg.

Just barely whets the appetites of three people (who happen to be oyster lovers).

Place the salsa's in separate bowls. Add some chili sauce to the tomato salsa. Season both salsa's with Tobassco sauce to taste. Add horse raddish to the tomato salsa to taste. Place copius amounts of rock salt on two baking sheets. Place shucked oysters ontop of rock salt. Slather the oysters with the salsa mixtures, alternating between the two types.

Place baking sheets under broiler until the salsa is bubbly hot and the oysters have just started to curl.

Remove oysters from oven, serve right off the baking sheets onto small plates. Pour champagne or sparkling wine. Enjoy.

(Don't overpower your salsa's with heat from the tobassco or the horse raddish, or you may have to switch from the wine to a good ale or lager.)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 09-26-2000).]

- hotwine - 09-26-2000

Sounds great, Mike!
To avoid having a good salsa mixture blown away by the (regular) Tabasco sauce, try some of the Green Pepper Tabasco. Wonderful stuff! It's made from jalapeno peppers and is really very mild. I just had it on a pimento cheese sandwich, and start each workday with it on a couple of blueberry bagels.
(I'm looking at a small collection of empties on my office windowsill. One of these little 2 oz bottles only lasts me a couple of days; a week or so ago I took home four doz bottles for recycling.)
I've been trying to get the McIllhenny Co. to make it available in 1/2 oz bottles, so it can be more easily concealed in a restaurant.... this 2 oz bottle is kinda tough to hide...
It should be really nice on oysters with champagne.

- Garbo - 09-26-2000

Great googlymoogly! I guess now we know where the HOT in hotwine comes from!

- winoweenie - 09-26-2000

Hotsie-Totsie, I new deep down in the 4thn cellar that we had to be soul-mates. I keep a bottle of the Jalepaneno and the regular Tobasco in my briefcase, just in case. MrD , I`m salivating. Howm-so-eber, our reliable oyster sources here in Phoenix can be counted on your big toe. Wallace managed to stiff me for lunch today. Hid in the back room till my finger froze on the buzzer. Oh Well! I`ve been ignored experts. When these here amachurs try, it`s like water offin` a mallards top-side. winoweenie. ( What the devil was this thread? )

- hotwine - 09-26-2000

Naw, the "hot" in hotwine comes from my confounded winecellar, that has a real temperature problem. (Yes, I'm still belly-aching about it, instead of fixing it.)
WW, I also carry supplies of hot sauces with me, either in a briefcase or the p.u.'s glove compartment. Another sauce to look for is Texas Champagne, made by D.L. Jardine on the 7J Ranch in Buda, outside Austin (available on the Web at jardinefoods.com.) It's a red pepper sauce that very nicely complements big RED wines. Those folks are kind enough to ship it by the case in well-padded boxes; a 10 oz bottle lasts about a week, if you stretch it. When the dinner wine is a big Rhone, it even makes a nice dressing on a leafy green salad.

- mrdutton - 09-26-2000

I've seen the Green Pepper Tobassco but have not tried it yet. I have tried the Habenaro (sp?) Tobassco and it is some powerful stuff.

Someone must like me, because I just got a catalog from "Salsa Express" in Alamo, Texas
and it is chock-a-block with hot stuff. www.salsaexpress.com

Winoweenie - come east, there's plenty more of them arsters, believe you me!

- hotwine - 09-26-2000

I wouldn't recommend the habanero to anyone! But if you can handle the regular Tabasco, you'll think the jalapeno is a Hershey bar - it's that mild. It's available from Tabasco's Web site, as are all of their sauces and knick-knacks (caps, T-shirts, etc.)
We can't order wines off the 'Net down here, but we can at least use it to purchase some of the other spices of life.
A word of caution, though - a wife might take offense if you sit down to one of her home-cooked meals and immediately start dumping sauce all over it, without even tasting it first. I don't bring hot sauce to her table unless the meal consists of leftovers that need a little help.

- chittychattykathy - 09-27-2000

Ever try Ring of Fire hot sauce. Just fantastic on salmon, great in salsa, & even good on its own.

- hotwine - 09-27-2000

Haven't tried it, CCK, but I'll look for it. Thanks.
BTW, one of the best uses for hot sauces is in a travel or contingency kit, since they can make virtually any meal tolerable. When I was in Vietnam, I used to have my parents send me Tabasco for use on "C" rations and Kool-Aid for mixing in my canteen, and what a difference that made! I've long since dispensed with the Kool-Aid, but now firmly believe that wine and hot sauce can salvage even the poorest meal - even airline food.

- chittychattykathy - 09-27-2000

Now you've talked me into bringing a couple of bottles along on my trip to Germany next month just for the fun of it. Who knows maybe I'll find some folks who will want a bottle for themselves.

- Garbo - 10-02-2000

For those who've already incinerated their tastebuds, try Dave's Insanity Sauce. A drop will spice a whole pot of chile. No lie. But it definitely calls for ice cold beer, not wine...

- hotwine - 10-02-2000

CCK, if by "a couple of bottles" you mean those little 2 oz. fellers, you'll need more than a couple. Two 10 oz might last a whole trip - if it's short. I passed around a 10 oz Texas Champagne on a flight home from Norfolk one time last year, and disembarked with nothing left but fumes. Airline food needs an awful lot of help, as you know.

Garbo, thanks for the tip.

- chittychattykathy - 10-02-2000

Hotwine, Not to worry, the Ring Of Fire comes in a handy 12.5 oz bottle. What's this Texan sauce you speak of?

- hotwine - 10-03-2000

CCK, "Texas Champagne" is a hot sauce made from "Timely aged cayenne red peppers, vinegar and salt. Nothing else" (quoting from the label) It's available locally in one gourmet shop, but I order it off their Web site at www.jardinefoods.com. Minimum order is three 10 oz bottles or some other minimum order of three oz bottles (can't find their catalog at the moment). I order it by the case of 12 10 oz bottles, with shipping by UPS. Seems like total cost is all of $38 or thereabouts.
Their toll-free number is (800)544-1880.
It's good on salads, eggs (fried or scrambled), spuds, or virtually any fast-food product, like tacos, burgers and pizzas. And airline food. And company-directed "working lunches".
I've got one bin in the winecellar allocated to it.