WineBoard
Finding a Pinotage in Toronto - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Finding a Pinotage in Toronto (/thread-8381.html)

- Square 1 - 05-12-2000

I enjoy a good Pinotage and have only found a South African KWV Pinotage in Canadian Liquor Retail Outlets. Is the Pinotage grape not cultivated in North America for wine production - perhaps, the reason why this wine is so difficult to find in the stores.

- winecollector - 05-13-2000

Maybe someone else can either back me up or shoot me down on this one. I am not sure, but I think that the South African Pinotage grape is basicaly some sort of clone of the Pinot Noir grape. Try checking one of those duty free shops along the border if you have not already for some other South African wines. My wife brought me back some South African wine (1992 Fleur du Cap) from there her last trip to Canada.

I hear Oregon is supposed to make some pretty good Pinot Noir. However, I personally have not tasted any of them that can compare to a 1991 Middelvei Pinotage (S.A.) I have stashed away. Perhaps bad selection on my part or just lack of experience? I have some 1994 Henry Estate Pinot Noir from Oregon I'll open someday- perhaps that will change my opinion.

- mrdutton - 05-13-2000

You have back-up not shoot down on this one!

PINOTAGE:
Cultivar widely grown and successful in South Africa since its release in 1925. Also currently grown in California (USA), Canada and Zimbabwe. Derived from the crossing of Pinot Noir x Cinsaut. Used to make a popular, hearty red wine that ages well - (and often requires it). Reportedly grown in some quantity on New Zealand's North Island where it is used to produce flavorsome, early-maturing wines that are considerably less concentrated/complex than South African versions.

I got the above information from Strat's Place. www.stratsplace.com

A great place to visit when one wants some wine information!

- Thomas - 05-13-2000

Zimbabwe! That is news. Thanks, Dutton.

I Love some of those Pinotage wines, and they are beginning to get to the U.S. more readily. As for Canada, the LCBO system leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to selection.

- Jason - 05-14-2000

The reason you are seeing KWV is because they are the biggest producer.FYI the Henry
Estate Pinot is usually pretty good.

- chittychattykathy - 05-14-2000

Open the Henry Estate sooner then later, not one of Oregons top Pinots. Sokol Blosser and Panther Creek are two that I'd suggest, not watery like many Oregon Pinots tend to be, and both offer high quaility from year to year.

- winecollector - 05-15-2000

Thanks for the tips on the Henry Estate. I'll put that on my "need to open list!" Any suggestions on what would go well with it? I would normally drink my Pinotage with traditional Italian fare, but I'm always interested in trying something new.....

- Innkeeper - 05-15-2000

Would go with a Piedmontese, Provencial, or Barcelonese version of shrimp scampi. Be sure to use very fragrant olive oil, tons of garlic, and ample aromatic herbs. If tomatoes are used, go light on only fresh ones.

- Jason - 05-15-2000

The rush to open the Henry Estate would depend upon the Pinot we are discussing.
Until recently he made 3 different Pinots, but only makes two now (atleast for large distribution.) His Reseve Pinot is very long lived. '94 was not even released until '98 some time, but the Umpqua Cuvee is the early drinker.

- winecollector - 05-16-2000

The 94' Pinor Noir I have from Henry Estate is the "barrel select" from Umpqua Valley. I know I bought it at least a year ago (without checking my records), possibly two years ago. I figured it was a good buy since 94' was supposed to be a pretty good year for Oregon Pinot's in general. I didn't see anything on the bottle indicating it was the Cuvee.

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 05-16-2000).]