WineBoard
2004 Piombo Red Heads Studio Select Shiraz - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: 2004 Piombo Red Heads Studio Select Shiraz (/thread-8339.html)

- wondersofwine - 05-07-2007

McLaren Vale, Australia
16% alcohol
One of those inky purple dense opaque Australian bruisers. However, the fruit carries the alcohol pretty well. Okay. Not eager to buy again.

- billiethekid - 05-14-2007

Got to be joking... You must have had a bad bottle because I agree with Jancis Robinson, Decanter Magazine, Josh Raynolds (International Wine Cellar), John Rimmermon (Garagiste), Great Australian Wine Challenge and everyone else who has tried this wine. It is absolutely STUNNING ! with out doubt the best Shiraz I have tried from this region and without doubt one of the world leaders.
Try it and see for youself... you won't be dissapointed.

- winoweenie - 05-14-2007

Hi BTK and welcome to the board. Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me that WOW DID try the wine and didn't particularly enjoy it. Different strokes for different palates. WW

- wondersofwine - 05-14-2007

Thanks, WW. I couldn't have said it better.
Some Australians don't appreciate any wine that reveals any light coming through it at all. If it isn't completely opaque it's a "sissy red." It wasn't a bad bottle. Just not the subtlety and elegance I seek most of the time. (I do like a few really big bold wines but that's not my usual preference.)

- Drew - 05-15-2007

Seems to be a controversy concerning this wine. I've read where the grapes of this wine were destined for the '04 MP Integrity, which was not produced due to the Marquis Phillips break-up. I've also read where the same juice ended up in the '04 MP "9" Shiraz. If any of this is true, I fully understand the style and know first hand that these wines can be overwhelming and a bit much. You almost have to be in a certain mood to enjoy the style which, btw, is not one that is food friendly. All of the MP, Mollydooker, Mitolo, Piombo and a bunch of similar others are made in this style and while, if anyone knows me [img]http://wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img], I enjoy and crave these wines on occasion, I don't want a steady diet of them.

Drew

- billiethekid - 05-21-2007

WOW, WOW and DREW, I appreciate the fact that WOW (can I call you WOW1) along with everyone else has their own likes/taste and that not all styles are going to strike the notes with everybody; there in lies the beauty of wine.
I must admit I came out of the gate pretty strong and was really perhaps concentrating on the comment "Not eager to buy again" as it seams to me a pretty strong statement in itself and perhaps may put others off of trying something that may or may not suit them.
I still stand on what I feel about this wine and the speculation that the fruit may have been destined for this or once in that is completely Irrelevant. The wine is definitely large in fruit weight, with massive mouth feel and carrying a fair cargo of alcohol but the package comes together with incredible balance considering. I don’t think it’s fair for generalisations on Australian wines all being just “bruisers”. To me a bruiser is brawn without the brain.
I discuss this topic regularly and for me I try to compare apples with apples, that is to say that if my preference is for Borolo and I try an Aussie red then I try not to look for Borolo when grading and/or recommending the wine. Fine I may not enjoy one as much as the other but each should be judged considering their weight division before being put into the ring together.
So WOW1 I am sorry to have looked like I was taking a stab and all I wanted to say is that I feal (in my humble opinion) that the Piombo example is of a level above the other usual suspects.
By the way, I really appreciate such thoughtful and intelligent responses and look forward to hearing what you guys have to say regarding one of my favourite subjects.

- wondersofwine - 05-21-2007

Fair enough Billie. I don't find all Australian wines to be big bruisers. I like Henry's Drive Cabernet Sauvignon for example and L Jones (I believe that's the name) Shiraz and Irvine Merlot (pricy but a top-notch Merlot). Also some of the dessert wines from Australia. I like some Thorpe wines and Turner and Cole (export label?) Pinot Noir. Etc. But as I said, I, personally, am not eager to buy the Piombo again. Drew, OTOH, might enjoy it.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-18-2007).]

- winoweenie - 05-21-2007

Nice recovery there BTK and you certainly are welcome to any and all opinions concerning our favorite subject. I really think you'll find more acceptance and diversity with less controversy here than on most of these forums. I've found more tolerance and compassion here so this is the only forum I use or care about. Again my warmest welcome and stay awhile... the shrimp's on the barbie. (Bye-the-bye WOW is Wonders of Wine and my moniker is WW, Winoweenie) WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 05-21-2007).]

- brappy - 06-03-2007

Just noticed this thread. I'm going blind.

Tasted this wine the other day. I thought the wine was well made, and in a style that agrees with me. I didn't find this to be a bruiser. It's balance was far too precise; the juice very pure.

But, like WW said, "Different strokes......"

On a side note Red Head Studios is a great place in which great small production wines are being made. Mostly young winemakers are crafting these wines. One of the founders of this business is now making all of the Killibinbin wines which are pretty stunning this year(05s). Interestingly, a large amount of thier (Red Head Studios)wines are being made with Italian grape varietals. I believe the closest idea for a business would be something like CrushPad from San Fran. Not exactly the same, but similar.

Anyway, don't give up on this little winery. some of the wines may really surprize you.

mark