WineBoard
food and wine match - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: food and wine match (/thread-828.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Scoop - 05-31-2000

Have you tried the Burgans 1999 Albarino (Martin Codex), Randy? See the recent posting under "Spanish varieties" -- it's a tasty bargain.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Randy Caparoso - 05-31-2000

I'll keep an eye out for it! Thanks for the tip!

- winoweenie - 06-01-2000

Randy, two things I`ll add my two cents or maybe more. I wont comment on anything after the 81 vintage of Musar but can say with ABSOLUTE certainty that Serge made some World-Class wines up to that point. His 61 , 67, and 72 were dynamite and were as clean as a pin .The 80 was a beautifully balanced wine that was a gorgeous bottle. Haven`t had any thing since, as they have just started importing and dist here in Az.The other thing, His band was known as The Texas Playboys, but Bob Wills made his Reputation at the Rainbow Ballroom in Tulsa , Okla. Winoweenie

- winoweenie - 06-01-2000

Randy, E me before you come to Phoenix the next trip and I`ll get some of less-rowdy friends together and drive way to heck over to Scottsdale. I`m also faxing to your attention to the restaurant a whole passell of reviews from all over the world judging Ch. Musar. I`ve never seen you go off on a wine like this before. I think you may have gotten a bad bottle or possibly a bad vintage which considering the grape varietals he uses,( Cabernet,Grenache, Mourderve, Cinsaut, and Carignan ) Just like the Rhoners (I know no cab) can occassionaly stink up the place. How many vintages of Musar have you tried?Winoweenie

- Randy Caparoso - 06-01-2000

Whoa, Nellie! No one's questioning the fact that Bob Wills was just as beloved in Oklahoma as he was in Texas, and that "Take Me Back to Tulsa" is almost as famous as "New San Antonio Rose," but ya'll should allow for the fact that Bob was born and raised a Texan, started his career as a Texan, and to Texans, he will always be a Texan. Bob himself described his brand of music as "Texas fiddle band." And besides, once a Texan, always a Texan!

As for Chateau Musar: Unlike you, it seems, my experience of Chateau Musar is up-to-date. In the business, Musar used to impress us with its unique and wildly earthy, elegantly textured Bordeaux style blends. But in recent years their reds have lapsed into almost repulsive levels of stink. Believe me -- I have two or three opportunities to taste the current vintages each year (in fact, just yesterday there was one here in Honolulu). I try to be a professional about it -- making judgements regardless of what has, or still is, written in the press. You see, when we serve it to guests, press releases don't matter. Most consumers have never heard of Michael Broadbent or Robert Parker. When it's served to them, the wine is either good, or it's bad.

So what's up with the recent Musar vintages? I love terroir and garrigue, and I love the complexities of brettanomyces, but Musar now goes way over the edge in these qualities. They veer on barnyards full of fresh manure. If anything, it is now strictly an acquired taste. Some people still harbor this taste; most people don't. Therefore, I would never recommend it to a novice who simply wants to have "something" with a simple Middle Eastern dinner. It makes a lot more sense to recommend a wine that is more of a guarantee that they will like, and more of a guarantee that it will go with their meal. I hope you understand.

The Musar white, by the way, is a poor excuse of a wine. Nothing personal. Just telling it like it is.

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 06-01-2000).]

- winoweenie - 06-02-2000

Randy, the input on the Musar is appreciated. As stated earlier I had the pleasure of drinking the wines from the 80 vintage back to the 59. Everything written about them was deserved. Since late in the 80`s haven`t had a bottle.Some great memories tho.Had a couple of dynamite bottles yesterday....Rombauer 96 Napa Zin and the super 92 Penfolds Bin 389 Cab/Shiraz.Let me know your next trip.Winoweenie

- Drew - 06-07-2000

I strolled into a wine store near me yesterday and guess what I found? A 1988 Chateau Musar red. They had about a case on the shelf for $12.50 a bottle. I haven't decided if I'll purchase one or not. (Some of the posts scared me....barnyard aromas et all!)

Drew

- Randy Caparoso - 06-07-2000

Don't take my word for it! That price sounds very low, and so it's not such a bad deal. It might be a good idea for you to pick one up and see for yourself, and then give us a report. For instance, I recently received a note from a food & wine writer living out in the Middle East who disagreed with me quite vociferously. In other words, I'm ready to be debunked or crowned anytime.

- winoweenie - 06-08-2000

Drew, Buy a bottle at the 12.50. I`ll kick in some to get another opinion. On my next trip in July to Calif, I intend to find some Musar and do my own tasting. Can`t believe a wine that`s been around , and great, as long as Musar could have changed so much. Check out the Musar web-site. I did and found the same comments I made about the wine,albiet from prejudicial source in some cases.Go For It Drew Man. Winoweenie