WineBoard
food and wine match - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: food and wine match (/thread-828.html)

Pages: 1 2

- downs - 05-19-2000

I am cooking a Lebanese meal that includes bread salad with a garlic, lemon, mint dressing then red pepper hummus with pita bread and the main course is a rice dish with chicken and beef. Do you have any suggestions for the wine? Do you know of any Lebanese wines?

- Thomas - 05-19-2000

I am nearly at a loss here, because I cannot imagine the tastes of these foods, except for the hummus.

I would go with either a rose', light fruity red or--guess what, everyone--Riesling, or maybe Chenin Blanc.

As to the Lebanese wine question: I tasted some twenty years ago while living in the Near East, but have never seen a bottle of Lebanese wine in the U.S.

- mrdutton - 05-19-2000

I did a quick search on the internet and found a restaurant in Rockville, MD that has Lebanese wines on its wine list; reds and whites. Site address is:

www.lebanese-taverna.com

After purusing thier wine list my suggestions below don't seem to be too far off-base by comparison:

Whites:
German Riesling and Gewurztraminer
French Vouvray (demi-sec)

Reds:
Beaujolais
Cabernet Franc

Champagne:
Roederer Estates is one of many I like.....

I might try a Rieslng, Vouvray or Champagne with the salad and the huumus and then perhaps the Beaujolais with the main course.

Time permitting, I'll see if I can find a better link/source for wines from Lebanon. But I am sure that others here might also have some information for you.

- mrdutton - 05-19-2000

Foodie,

We were working on our replies at about the same time.

We came up with about the same answers.......

Interesting.

- winecollector - 05-19-2000

I had the chance to purchase some Lebanese wine for the cellar earlier this year, but I passed on it for several reasons. Reasons included not knowing if the vintage (1988) was still holding up, if there was any quality there at all, and I thought the price was too high (about $25) for a wine from a country not known for quality wines. For the same price or less (likely less), I would recommend taking advantage of the other suggestions given. Thus, you will not have to be worried about whether the quality is there or not.

Just incase you may have an interest in it, I will try to check with my source today for you, and see if it is still available.

- Bucko - 05-19-2000

I'll second the others -- in preference:

A SUD Rose
Reisling at the Spatlese level
A dry Chenin Blanc from the Loire

Bucko

- winoweenie - 05-19-2000

I`m suprised that none of my learned friends haven`t told you about one of the great wines of the world (i.e. World Class ) that has been made in the Beckka(?) valley of Lebanon for over 50 years. The name is Chateau Musar and the wine ages its` patootie off. I had the pleasure of splitting a container in 1980 and had wines from the chateau dating to 1959. They were a revelation. Made from a blend on rhone varietals, the wines aren`t released until 8 years of barrell and bottle ageing. I strongly reccomend these puppies. Winoweenie

- Thomas - 05-19-2000

Dutton--same time, but I didn't use the Internet...

Winoweenie, you are correct. Now, tell us who carries the wine.

- mrdutton - 05-19-2000

Foodie give me a break................... Yeah I know, not for an instant. But please read what I posted.

I didn't use the internet to come up with the suggested wines.

I used the internet to see if I could find a SOURCE of wines from Lebanon. I had no luck other than to find a fairly decent restaurant in the DC area that could be helpful for finding a source.........

I looked at their wine list, but that certainly did not match wines to any particular food. However their wine list listed some of same varietals that I suggested.

Sheessshhhhh........... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Winoweenie............

This place in Rockville lists the following wines from Lebanon on their list. One is the Cht. Musar you mentioned. See below:

Reserve Du Couvent, Ksara, '95
Le Breteches, Kefraya, '96
Chateau Ksara, '94
Chateau Kefraya, '94
Chateau Musar, '89

The Cht. Musar was priced at about 30.00 and the rest were less. If this place overprices wines like most do, then the market price could be quite reasonable.

I think it would be interesting to try some.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-19-2000).]

- winecollector - 05-19-2000

Back from checking out my source, and it looks like everyone else that posted before I got back found the same wine. 1989 Chateau Musar. The wine store I seen the 88' in was all out of it, so I checked my " merchant bible" for the carrier. It can be special ordered through Vintage Imports Inc. It's listed under item number 61280. Phone #412-231-7582. Retail price of the '89 at $26.40 . My merchant bible is from about a year ago, so you're probably likely to find the 90' being the current vintage.

Thanks Winoweenie, for the additional information. I intend to give this wine a second look.

- Thomas - 05-20-2000

Okay Dutton, you are off my teasing hook.

The Ch. Masur seems it might be too big a wine for the dinner that started this thread; am I wrong about that? Haven't had the Masur in many years.

- Thomas - 05-20-2000

Oops! Musar.

- mrdutton - 05-20-2000

No more teasing......... darn!

I got the impression that the Ch Musar would be a bit too much for the meal. But maybe one of the whites from Lebanon would work!

More research is in order here, I believe.

- Jason - 05-20-2000

Have never had it or seen it, but Musar is reputed to make a white as well. Can only imagine the grapes involved.

- winecollector - 05-21-2000

The only other wine I could find a listing for that I think is Lebanese, is a Dom De Sahari Rouge. I have a listing for a 93' available for about $10, also through Vintage Imports Inc.

- winoweenie - 05-27-2000

MrD, the price in your restaurant for Musar is very reasonable as the wines are in the 25 buck retail range.The wines are only released after 8 years so they have some character.As an interesting side-note, during the war, The wine and vineyards were held in such great esteem that the warring parties called a truce to let the grapes be harvested. Had a blind tasting several years ago with some dedicated Francophiles and the wine of the evening was a 59 Latour. It was magnificient, but to every-ones surprise a 61 Musar tied with it. I had deviuosly slipped it into the mix. Don`t know where to find it in your area, but it is didtributed in Az.Current vintage is 91. Winoweenie

- winoweenie - 05-27-2000

By the way Jason , the whites are made from the following two varieties ( and if anyone can pronounce the puppies, please let me know ) Obaideh and Merwah. The former is described as very mellow and the latter acidic. The resident genious behind Ch. Musar is Serge Hochar, son of thew founder Gaston. He ferments the red varietals separately and keeps them in large vats until he begins juggling the final blend.Very balanced and as previuosly reported, they age their Keisters off. Winoweenie

- Randy Caparoso - 05-30-2000

Frankly, folks, I wouldn't drink any of those Lebanese wines with this meal. They are all very weak. The Hochar family reputation be damned: their Musar reds are big, but they are also stinky (like horse sweat); and the Musar white is thin, brown, and somewhat icky. Might be good for the Brits, but I wouldn't recommend them to any friend from deep in the heart of the land of Bob Wills!

Who says it has to be from Lebanon? Mr. Dutton is on the right track. Especially since our Texan would probably be far better off with an crisp, off-dry German Riesling (a Kabinett or Halbrocken) to balance out the lemon and and chili pepper in the first dish; and with the second dish, a soft, fruity red wine (Beaujolais would be okay, but a Washington St. Lemberger or Blue Franc as well as an Austrian Zweigelt would be be more up to the task with the meats).

There's a lot to be said with regional food and wine matches; but let's not get hung up on it, folks. Especially when common sense dictates otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 05-30-2000).]

- Thomas - 05-31-2000

Randy, I agree, that is what my initial reaction to the meal was--see the first post.

- Randy Caparoso - 05-31-2000

Sorry, foodie. Of course, you had your two cents in long before me. But did I mention Albarino from Spain? The ones made by Lusco as well as Morgadio have just the right amount of lemony acidity, lightness, dryness, and tropical fruitiness to go with Middle East styles of food.