WineBoard
Two big boys from down under - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Two big boys from down under (/thread-8248.html)

- Bucko - 05-11-2007

I could enjoy these with BBQ, but they are a little too big for my palate to just sip on while easing back in the recliner.

2005 Two Hands, Brave Faces, Barossa Valley, Australia, $39, 1,029 cases. Still sporting a youthful purple/red color, this Shiraz and Grenache blend is concentrated, ripe and juicy, with silky tannins and lovely balance. Black cherries, berries and smoky cedar prevail; 90/90.

2005 Two Hands, Shiraz, Lily’s Garden, McLaren Vale, Australia, $65, 2,700 cases. Generous plum, coffee, dark chocolate and American oak aromas repeat on the palate. Full without being heavy, the silky tannins allow for early approachability; 91/90.

- brappy - 05-12-2007

Tasted these yesterday as well. I believe the Lily's Garden is better than the Bella's Garden. Although.... I flip-flopped on that all night long. Max's Garden was another impressive wine. From the picture series, "The Bull and the Bear" and "The Deer in the headlights" were my favorites. "Gnarly Dudes" was great as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to taste the Riesling; I've enjoyed thier Riesling in past vintages. Two Hands is also producing a Nebbiolo in small quatities. The wine seemed to have all the stuffing, but at this young age, I couldn't tell where it was going.

Once again thier flagship wines were outstanding. I believe this to be the best Aerope so far. No mistaking this being a Grenache. The Ares was big as ever, almost too big. But of these three the Aphrodite was the best in balance. Not quite as good as the '04, although I'm sure some would argue the point.

Tasted the Branson Coach House rare cab as well. The alcohol was a whopping 18%! Interestingly enouph, the fruit kept up until about 15 - 30 seconds into the finish when the heat was felt in the very backend of your throat.

A note for KC: I'm sure you've tasted this before, but the spritzy Muscat in a 500 ml bottle is great out on the boat. Perfect for those hot days out in the sun.

Bucko, didn't you visit Michael when you were in Australia?

mark

- Bucko - 05-12-2007

Bucko, didn't you visit Michael when you were in Australia?

I did indeed -- nice fellow. He took me around to several properties where they source their grapes. A load of gorgeous Grenache pulled up as we were talking in front of the winery.

- brappy - 05-12-2007

Must have been a great trip, Bucko!

mark

- Kcwhippet - 05-13-2007

Mark - We brought the boat over today from its winter storage to the summer slip, and it was a very pleasant, sunny trip. Didn't have any wine on this trip, but we did put away a bunch of Corona and Dos Equis Dark. Had some Harpoon Hefeweizen and Black & Tans in the yacht club bar. We arrived just as they were starting the Mother's Day festivities with a big brunch - and in stroll us grubs to sit at the bar. Oh well.

- brappy - 05-14-2007

Well you certainly be us to it. I left for work this morning at 8:45 and Hattie was already cleaning the boat of winter grime. Thursday is "Take the boat to the slip" day. Can't wait....

mark

- Kcwhippet - 05-14-2007

We didn't have much choice. Two big cranes come to the yard on only one day in the Spring. One puts the boats into the water, and the other steps the masts. That day was this past Saturday.