WineBoard
Wine with spicy "Jamaican Jerk " pork tenderloin? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine with spicy "Jamaican Jerk " pork tenderloin? (/thread-817.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Drew - 05-06-2000

I plan on grilling pork tenderloin that has been prepared with a spicy [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/cool.gif[/img] Jamaican Jerk marinade....suggestions please on a matching white or red wine? Thanks

Drew

- hotwine - 05-06-2000

The wine you choose will be required to arm-wrestle that spicey marinade to at least a draw. Think I'd pull a Rhone for that chore.

- Innkeeper - 05-06-2000

Amen, Brother Hotwine. Something with the muscle of a Cotes du Rhone Villages or even a Crozes Hermitage at that.

- Drew - 05-06-2000

Do you think a good Shiraz or Zin would compliment? This Jerk seasoning is very strong flavored and spicy.

Drew

- hotwine - 05-06-2000

No, those named by Innkeeper are preferred for this job. A strong zin or shiraz would produce too much clashing of sharp flavors. You need something to blunt the spice and allow you to taste the pork. A stout Rhone will do that.

- Drew - 05-06-2000

Thank you all for the recommendation....
this spicy jerk threw me on a selection.

Drew

- hotwine - 05-06-2000

Spices tend to confound an otherwise easy selection. I was faced with the same problem earlier today, when we decided to try to use some of the round steaks that have been piling up in our freezer from the last two sides of beef we've laid up. I checked the 'Net for grilled round steak recipes, and came up with one that calls for a spicey gaucho marinade based on a red wine. A Rhone was the only wine I could think of that could handle the spices. We'll serve the same wine with the meal.

- Innkeeper - 05-06-2000

Oh Lord, wish we were in Texas or Maryland tonight. Check Merlot to see what we did do.

- hotwine - 05-06-2000

Well, our grilled marinated round steak turned out nicely. I normally compare that cut of meat to bootleather, but six hours in the bath of spices and Rhone followed by 20 mins. on a hot oak fire made it fork-tender. The wine was 1997 Ch. de Campuget of the Costieres de Nimes applellation, and was excellent for bathing the beef. Sadly, though, it lacked structure with the meal; Innkeeper's recommended Crozes Hermitage would have been far superior. So goes the wineworld. At least we now have another application for round steak, which had previsously been limited to Stroganoff, Swiss steak and stir-fry. Mrs. Hotwine was pleased.
Drew, here's hoping your wine choice turned out well with the grilled pork.
And Innkeeper, your Merlot comments are intriguing; we'll need to try that SA wine.

- Bucko - 05-06-2000

A sparkler works well with hot, spicy dishes as well.

Bucko

- Drew - 05-06-2000

Well....I didn't have enough Cote du Rhone to go around and pressed for time I went with a 1998 Vin de Pays d'Oc Sirrah, Domaine des Blagueurs. Beautiful color! Dark purple.
Let it open for 1 hour before serving and it was the hit of the evening. Concentrated mineral and pepper with a touch of fruit, very rounded flavors. The grilled "Jamaican Jerk" pork tenderloin (Marinated from brother-in-laws' home jerk recipe..no jokes please!) with grilled veggies and potatoes made for a pleasant spring in Maryland? (+90F) cook out.

Drew

- winecollector - 05-07-2000

I'm probably going to go out on a limb here that someone's bound to cut off, but I really enjoy spicy foods- deep fried cajun turkey, taco's, super hot chili, even my pizza ends up with garlic & red hot pepper! When I have a meal like any of those, I prefer to "fuel" that fire with a Chianti that won't put the fire out, but intensify it. I probably would have went with a 1994 Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva, or a 1997 Cecchi Chianti Classico, and then opened the Rhone immediately after dinner. I did just that about two weeks ago with cajun chicken & taters, and both wines worked out great. The Chianti was a 1997 Gabbiano, and the Rhone was a 1994 Domaine De l'Espigouette. I'll check on the spelling. But anyway, according to the back of the bottle, it was made in a single 600 gallon vat- obviously very limited, about 100 cases? By having the Chianti with dinner and then having the Rhone afterward, it just blew everybody away!

Try a combination like that sometime, just to see the amazed look you get from you guests!

Additional note: Went back to the same wine store I bought the 94' Rhone at with the empty bottle to see if I could purchase the current vintage (bought the 94' there three years ago for $9.79). After a quick inquiry on their computer, I was told the wine does not exist! I'll have to try to look a little harder, possibly elseware!

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 05-07-2000).]

- Drew - 05-07-2000

Thanks for the suggestions, Winecollecter, matching food with wine is, for me, still the most difficult thing to learn. Are there any good reference materials on the subject that you would recommend?

Drew

- hotwine - 05-07-2000

Certainly, a Chianti/Sangiovese handles spiced meats well, especially spicey beef dishes. And a Rioja like a Marques de Caceras works very well with BBQ'd beef, like a smoked brisket. But Drew was talking pork loin, and lean pork is such a mild, almost flavorless meat that it can wind up the major casualty in a real knife-fight between the wine and the spices. I think a quality Rhone would have been the ideal pairing, but Drew came out OK with his VdP, and that's the main thing.

- winecollector - 05-07-2000

You came up with an excellent choice on the Rhone wine pairing, Hotwine, and I wasn't questioning it. Both ham & pork are sometimes difficult dishes to pair a wine with depending on how they are prepared. The reason I made my suggestion was due to the "spicy marinade," and past experiences I have had with similar combinations. While your suggestion is definitely the "safer" of the two, some of us (me in particular) just really like it hot!

As far as any good reference materials on the subject Drew, I don't personally know of any. Most of the stuff I've seen in the book stores stays with the traditional white wine, white meat, red wine, red meat philosophy. I've seen those little books with the "wheels" in them that will suggest a certain type of wine with a basic food pairing, but that's about as good as they get. My advice to you and anyone else, is not to be afraid of breaking some of the rules from time to time. You may stumble onto something really sensational! Then again, you may also have a train wreck! But you'll never find out if don't experiment.

I also think your likely to get better suggestions here on this website with the wide variety of different dishes everyone's posting, than your going to find in a book. A lot of these guys come up with some great matches that I never would have come up with on my own, so take advantage of their expertise as you have been. But just remember, YOUR OWN TASTEBUDS are the ultimate judge with any of these suggestions, and I stand behind my recommendation for this dish. The only thing that I would change though, is that I would have went with the 97' Gabbiano with the dish instead of the other two chianti's because it's not as heavy of a wine. Another "safer" suggestion would be a 1996 La Sera, another Italian wine.

Thanks for not disappointing me Hotwine, by cutting off the limb I was dangling from! I knew someone would question my suggestion on this one, and I wasn't disappointed! Good job!

- Thomas - 05-09-2000

This sounds a heck of a lot like a dish for a fine, fruity Riesling.

- mrdutton - 05-09-2000

I have run across one tome on matching food with wine that is not "conventional" at all.

Try reading "The Wine Avenger" by Willie Glockstern. (www.wineavenger.com)

The person on this board who recommended this book to me said it turned his world around. Well it is helping me do the same.

- Square 1 - 05-12-2000

My choice would be a spicy and aromatic Gewurtztraminer - the perfect compliment to spicy food. A white wine always goes well with white meat too!

- Randy Caparoso - 05-13-2000

The problem with the "Wine Avenger," Mr. Dutton, is that the whole world seems to turn around the word, Riesling.

Riesling is good, but by and large the suggestions of Rhone style reds seem to be far more instinctive, and true. Something red, soft in tannin, and spicy in flavor does the trick with any such dishes such as pork with jerk flavors. Riesling has acid, low alcohol, and fruity flavor, but it doesn't have the substance and small degree of tannin that even the simplest reds can offer with jerk flavored meats.

The "Wine Avenger" is good. But the commonsense demonstrated by our Wineboard participants is nothing to sneeze at!

- mrdutton - 05-13-2000

The experiences, tastes and opinions of the various members of this board are most certainly worthwhile and worth anyone's attention! That is for sure.

I don't recall recommending anything for this dish. Personally I would opt for a red, either a Beaujolais or maybe even a Rioja.

I mentioned "The Wine Avenger" to answer the question about a book that helped match food and wine.

For jerk flavored foods, Avenger recommends riesling OR light, fruity reds such as those made from gamay.