WineBoard
Ecco Domani - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Ecco Domani (/thread-7881.html)

- mrdutton - 04-12-2000

Anybody have any thoughts on the 1997 Ecco Domani Barbera D'Alba?

I'd really be interested in reading about them.

During a recent trip to Florida I had to occasion to drink a bottle with some veal marsala.

I thought it was quite pleasant. The wine...... As was, also, the veal.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 04-16-2000).]

- misterjive - 04-19-2000

Ecco Domani is distributed in Florida by Johnson Brothers, I believe, or maybe Southern Spirits. When we first started to carry Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio and Merlot at a popular Italian restaurant, the distributor offered tremendous deals on the stuff, and promised a massive ad campaign to bolster sales. They delivered. About 2-3 years ago, Ecco Domani ads filled the airwaves and periodical pages in Sarasota. Customers ordered bottle after bottle of E-D Pinot Grigio, and almost all loved it. I thought it was rather characterless, but hey, it is (or was) really cheap Pinot Grigio. As a result, I've always thought of Ecco Domani as the triumph of commercialized winemaking over good sense. Hype over substance, as happens so often in this world. But then, I've never had the Barbera. I can't imagine that Ecco Domani had Barbera production in Alba when they first started producing Pinot Grigio and Merlot. Ecco Domani reminds me of another Italin mega-producer, Bolla. Bolla doen't usually impress me much, either, but then again, just to contradict myself, I once had a pleasant experience drinking Bolla Valpolicella late one night in San Jose, Costa Rica. I later tried it stateside and disliked it thoroughly--so subjective is our notion of wine!

- Innkeeper - 05-04-2000

First of all, we do like the Ecco Domani wines, and have recommended them to people looking for starter reds. They tend to taste slightly on the sweet side either because of R.S. or upfront fruit; the latter we think. Here is the rub, at least for some of you. If you look at the front of the bottle, you will see it was imported from someone in Santa Rosa, CA. If you look at the labels of some other brands that have suddenly appeared seeming everywhere at once, e.g. Camelot; you will find the same Santa Rosa appelation. You see Santa Rosa is the new Modesto.

- winecollector - 05-04-2000

I been enjoying the Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio for over a year now as a nice inexpensive wine when having company over. It's pleasantly approachable to people who are not regular wine drinkers, and there's enough to it that I enjoy it as well. I've never had the Barbera d' Alba yet. I'll put that on my shopping list and try it.

If you really like Barbera d' Alba, try to find Vietti's '97 vintage of it. You won't be disappointed!