WineBoard
1999 Zenato Valpolicella Ripassa - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 1999 Zenato Valpolicella Ripassa (/thread-7867.html)

- quijote - 12-13-2003

At a wine tasting a while back I tried a ripasso and adored it, so I bought this one for further exploration. Aromas of ripe plums and raisin-rum fruitcake are followed up nicely by flavors of raisin and prune. There is a slight bitter finish, but not as detectable as with the two other ripassi I've tried. More tannic than expected. $19.00, Alc. 13%

From what I've been learning about Valpolicella Ripassa, it should be a fairly smooth wine, but I was surprised by the rather forceful tannins on this one. Did I open this too early?

Also, though this wine was good, I like a somewhat more bitter sensation. Are ripassi really only supposed to carry the faintest trace of bitterness? Or am I just odd for liking more bitterness?

Any suggestions on ripassi that I might like more?

- Innkeeper - 12-13-2003

The tannin could result from prolonged resting on the Amarone pomace. The '99 should be ready though. You are right about the bitterness. You should get a bitter-sweet (or raisiny) flavor on the palate. See my TN on the Cesari, Mara, Vino di Ripasso below.

- quijote - 12-13-2003

My local wine shop had a mega tasting today, and just happened to be pouring the Cesari--delicious stuff, but $14 here, yet I bought a bottle anyway. One of many early holiday presents to myself.

Also bought a bottle of the Mad Fish Chard you talked about.... Looking forward to trying it.

- quijote - 12-13-2003

Interestingly enough (to me, at least), the Zenato I opened yesterday is much smoother today, and the slight bitterness is more noticeable on the palate. Maybe it just needed time and a touch of oxygen?

- Innkeeper - 03-21-2004

Our non-lo-carb daughter requested this recipe from us, and served it with pesto, salad, and some broiled sweet Italian sausages to a group of five friends. A Vino di Ripasso was served with it, and was a huge hit.

GNOCCHI ROMANA:

4 lbs Potatoes, peeled, and cut into pieces
3 C Sifted four
½ C (1 stick) Butter melted
1 C Freshly grated Parmesan cheese OR ½ lb Imported Provolone slice grated and ½ C Parmesan
Pesto or tomato sauce

Prepare dough just before cooking as it gets damp and gluey if allowed to sit. Boil potatoes with 2 t salt for 18 to 20 minutes depending on size of pieces. Drain and put through ricer onto a floured board. Adjust salt if necessary. While potatoes are still warm work in flour until they become a firm but soft dough. Divide dough into pieces, and roll with well floured hands into long cylinders about ½" in diameter. Cut into pieces about ½" long and pinch in the center between index finger and thumb. Line them up without touching on floured cloth. Drop gnocchi in batches into large pot of rapidly boiling salted water, and remove with a slotted spoon as soon as they float to the surface of the water. Drain on kitchen towels. When they are all cooked and drained put them into a large ovenproof dish or pan, sprinkle with the melted butter and either all the provolone or half the parmesan. Place in a 400 degree oven for 5 - 10 minutes until the cheese melts and slightly browns. Transfer to serving platter napped with pesto or tomato sauce, and sprinkled with ½ C parmesan.