WineBoard
Idiots' Intro to Italian Wines? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Idiots' Intro to Italian Wines? (/thread-7784.html)

- Auburnwine - 11-19-2002

Poor, poor pitiful me.

It looks as though I may have to spend the summer in Italy doing research. Just south of Rome, if you were wondering.

Since I know nothing about Italian wines, I wonder if anyone can suggest a good resource to aid me in learning the fundamentals of Italian wines.

Oh, and if you know Italy, what are your suggestions of "must do" sites or activities -- on a relatively modest budget.

P.S. I can now count to ten in Italian. Tis an achievement of which I am most proud!

- hotwine - 11-19-2002

Conrats. Recommend the Larousse Encyclopedia of Wine, a course in conversational Italian, and an Italian girlfriend.

- joeyz6 - 11-19-2002

Wow, that sounds so cool! I've only been to Northern Italy, but I highly recommend Florence. It is a beautiful place. Best ice cream in the world (don't miss the gelato joint called 'Perche No?'). Plus it's second only to Paris in its collections of Western Art, if that's something that interests you. Another spot I love is Lake Como, although that would be a bit of a hike for you. Makes for a relaxing weekend trip.

- ShortWiner - 11-19-2002

If you do make it up north, I highly recommend Venice. Yep, it's touristy, but so is much of Italy; this city's gradually waning grandeur rises above the motley tourist attractions.

And if you do go, seek out a tiny restaurant called A La Testiere ("The Headboard"), if you like seafood--that's all they do. On our 4-week honeymoon in Italy, we sought our special places to eat, and this was undoubtedly the best. Service, food, wine--this was truly a transcendent experience.

- Innkeeper - 11-19-2002

Write to (499 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10022) or call (212-980-1100) the Italian Wine Center, and ask for their Italian Wine Guide. It is a very complete booklet of 30 or so pages that gives information on all sorts of Italian Wine; even the ones Roberto talks about.

- wondersofwine - 11-19-2002

If you visit Venice, Verona is not too far away. A charming city and one of the best pasta dishes I ever had was in a Veronese restaurant, maybe called something unlikely like Harry's?

- Botafogo - 11-19-2002

>>Best ice cream in the world<<

is to be found in Verona at the Boutique di Gelato or on any street corner in Sicily...

Roberto

- scimmiatinit - 11-20-2002

Dear friend,

I live in Naples just south of Rome (about 100 miles from) if You need any help please do not hesitate to contact me on my personal e-mail scimmi@tin.it I will be glad to give all the informations You need.

Anyway do NOT MISS for any reason:
Cinque Terre (Liguria)
VENICE/Venezia (already said by someone else)
FLORENCE/firenze
ROMA of course
NAPOLI with Pompei, Ecolano & Sorrento/Amalfi coast

Maybe if Yo have time take into consideration a short trip to Sicily.

Ciao
Fabio

PS
In Naples and only in Naples You will be able eat the "real mozzarella di bufala" and the real origina pizza....

- winoweenie - 11-20-2002

What a BUMMER AW. Exiled to Italy. I tolt' you not to vote Democratic. Have a Ball (as if you wont). WW

- Auburnwine - 11-20-2002

Grazie! (My Italian vocabulary is growing by the hour!)

Thank you for all your wonderful ideas and suggestions. There is, I see, an "Idiot's Guide to Italian Wine." Since I find placement in that marketing niche objectionable, I shall look to the Larousse and the Italian Wine Center, as you suggest.

Hotwine, dear friend, I fear that the missus would not entirely approve of my acquisition of an Italian girlfriend. Maybe I will point my 10-year-old lad in that direction, and live vicariously through him.

And Fabio, I will certainly be in contact with you.

- joeyz6 - 11-20-2002

Roberto, if I'm ever in Verona or Sicily I will be sure to taste and compare ... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] I'm sure you know better than me however. I must say though that I read gelato was invented in Florence -- was this incorrect?