WineBoard
1989 Val Di Suga Brunello Di Montalcino - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 1989 Val Di Suga Brunello Di Montalcino (/thread-7766.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-26-2004

1989 Val Di Suga, Annata, Brunello Di Montalcino ($25 Cappy's, Saugus MA in '95). Alcohol 13.5%. After the gang left this morning leaving us shaking from head to toe, we had sandwiches for lunch, and treated ourselves to this delightful bottle with some Drunken Goat and Goat Gouda cheeses tonight.

Decanted very nicely with an aroma hard to describe. Held a lovely ruby color without a trace of browning. How to describe a perfectly aged out wine without any trace of recognizable fruit? It had simple morphed into an incredibly complex elixer, with perfectly smooth tannin, that stroked the palate, and finished with three bells. It really doesn't get any better. Sigh!

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 11-27-2004).]

- Botafogo - 11-27-2004

Yeah, IK, it is a shame most Brunello sold in the US gets sacrificed as babies. The whole point of Brunello as opposed to Chianti is what it will turn into with some age. We have people buying buying 1999 Cerbaiona and Salvioni and opening them that night....sheer infantacide and they don't taste that good anyway at that point (and they cost over $100!).

- wondersofwine - 11-29-2004

I purchased a single bottle of the 1999 Sesti Brunello. So should I save it a minimum of 8 years? 10? I find Brunello approachable much sooner than Barolo so would be inclined to drink it sooner without your advice.

I also have a '97 from Banfi that I'm still holding.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-29-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 11-29-2004

It must have just been released. Yes, I would keep it for another ten if possible.

- winecollector - 11-29-2004

I always enjoy a well aged Brunello. Though I've drank all my pre 1990 ones now, I still have some '94 in the cellar I just keep trying to resist opening. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Botafogo - 12-01-2004

A guy in the store told me today he had tasted "all the top Barolos" and none of them did anything for him. I asked him if A) all of them were current releases and B) if he had ever tasted a Barolo over 15 years old. The answers were Yes and No respectively.

I then sadly informed him that he had never actually tasted any Barolo....

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2004

I'm in a similar boat Roberto. I tried some of the top Barolos at tastings but they were too young for me to judge. I have never tasted one ten years old, let alone 15. See my recent posting under Wine Events. I don't even know if I like Barolo since I haven't had one of the proper maturity. But since I'm 60 now and not sure if by 70 or 75 I would be on medication that necessitates avoidance of alcohol (or even alive and kicking)I will probably not invest in any Barolo that has to be cellared for 10 or 15 years.

- Innkeeper - 12-02-2004

WOW if WW at 77 or so can buy wines to age 10 to 15 and we'uns at 65; then you certainly can at your ripe young age.

- Botafogo - 12-02-2004

Wonders, you'd be amazed what beauties from vintages like 71, 78, 82 and 89 come up on WineBid and the like and go for a song.

- winecollector - 12-02-2004

Barolo's are one of the wines I must admit I "accidently" stocked in the wine cellar a long time ago, and after opening them I have no regrets for buying them. I went back to my old 486DX computer I formerly used as a cellar monitor for 15 years and found at a tasting 2 to 3 years ago, I opened either a 1990 Borgogno or a Fontanafredda, not sure which, but it was definately a 1990. Afterwards, I opened a 1970 Di Marchese. The 1990 blew everyone away and was the hit of the tasting. Then, the 1970 I opened afterwards... well... made the 1990 taste like something you would buy out of a box! It was like liquid gold... something you can't even dream about experiencing.

Properly aged Barolo's are a real gem... and from my experience... I've never had one that was too old. The oldest I've had was a '64 Dosio, not a great wine... but it held up incredibly well for a bottle of juice close to 40 years old at the time I opened it.

I can't help but think of where the world was 40 years ago... and where I was... just a lil' tike. I think about where the people are now that harvested those grapes... made the wine... and I can't help but be humbled knowing most of them are likely no longer with us. Quality wine is something that can be passed down from generation to generation, and well made Barolo is something that (in my opinion) many wine connoisseurs overlook in favor of Bordeaux or California Cabs. I'll take a well aged Barolo anyday over a Bordeaux from the same vintage, well, unless perhaps the Bordeaux is a 45, 61, or maybe.... maybe an 82? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

I treasure the tastings I've been priviledged to enjoy of the Barolo's I've sampled. They are truly what quality wine was ment to be. Aaaa salute!

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 12-03-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 12-03-2004

You guys are pretty convincing!