WineBoard
Menu - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Menu (/thread-775.html)

- mrdutton - 05-01-2002

Friends are visiting with us this coming weekend. They are second generation from Italy and they live in 'Da Bronx.......'

Here is my plan for feeding them a "lite" meal when they arrive on Friday (bear in mind that they will be coming down off the high of an eight hour drive......)

Assorted sandwiches from the local deli - including a taboulli veggi wrap, a chicken wrap with pimento, a prosciutto & olive spread sandwich on flat bread and a mozarella, basil and tomato job also served on flat bread.

Then there will be a plate with roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, parsley and shallots along with a few drops of aged balsamic vinegar.

There will also be presented two pasta dishes.

One will be rotelle with fresh garlic/basil pesto sauce garnished with baby basil leaves, parmesano-reggiano and parsley.

The other pasta will be trecce dell' orto with pancetta and broccoli rabe with a light sauce of olive oil, black olives and shallots with a garni of parsley.

Then there will also be the fruit & cheese plate with bits of melon, strawberries, raspberries, proscuittto, mascarpone and aged balsamico along with bite-sized bits of the romano and parmesan cheeses mentioned above.

The primary beverage will be Prosecco di Valdobbiadene.

What do you think? Might this work out okay?

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-01-2002).]

- Thomas - 05-01-2002

Geez, Dutton, when you come back you do it with a vengeance!

Sounds like fun to me and it sounds like the Prosecco will do well as an all around-er. But make sure it is a good Prosecco; I like Bellenda, and I am sure Roberto likes something else.

- winoweenie - 05-02-2002

And I wish I could pronounce it!WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 05-02-2002

With that kind of repast the vistitors may move in with you permanently! Da Bronx--
forgeddaboutit!

- mrdutton - 05-02-2002

We don't get a lot of variety down here in blue collar land.......... known as Virginia Beach, VA. Lots of folks don't know what Prosecco is let alone how to pronounce it. So selection is limited.

I have Prosecco di Valdobbiadene DOC Sparkling wine extra dry. Bottled by Angelo Rebuli & Figli Saccol di Valdobbiadene, Italy.

I have the last two bottles available anywhere in this fair city of mine. I mean that - the LAST two bottles. Every wine shop is out and they say they can't get anymore.

Thank goodness Virginia is not a felony state, and may soon become a free-trade state.

- winedope - 05-02-2002

welcome back, Mr D! any chance you might have some leftovers?? sounds great!

- mrdutton - 05-05-2002

Sorry, the leftovers are now all gone!

But should you wish to make the pasta dishes here are the recipes:

GARLIC PESTO WITH ROTELLE - Michael Dutton

(Makes 6 to 8 side-dish servings)

15 cloves garlic
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
4 tsp pecorino Romano, shredded
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 lb Rotelle pasta*
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup combined finely chopped garlic and shallots
Small fresh basil leaves for garnish
Freshly chopped parsley and parsley sprigs for garni

* The wagon wheel shape along with the internal "spokes" of this pasta is great for holding the sauce.

Bring a 4-quart Dutch oven or large pot of salted water to boiling. Add the garlic cloves to the water and cook for eight minutes. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon and immerse in a bowl of ice water. Add the 1/3 cup basil leaves to the boiling water and blanch for 5 seconds; remove basil with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.

Retain the water to cook the pasta.

For pesto, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine the garlic, blanched basil, and the 3/4 cup olive oil; cover and blend or process until just combined. Add 2 tablespoons of the pine nuts, the pecorino Romano, salt and pepper. Cover and blend or process mixture until nearly smooth.

Add the pasta to the boiling water, in which the garlic and basil were cooked, and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Toss with the pesto sauce and the 1/4 cup combined chopped garlic and shallots.

Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, the remaining pine nuts, the small basil leaves and the chopped parsley. Garnish with sprigs of parsley and serve.

TRECCE DELL' ORTO WITH PANCETTA AND BROCCOLI - Michael Dutton

(Serves 6 side-dish servings)

4 oz pancetta, diced
1 3/4 cups Trecce Dell' Orto pasta (about 6 ounces)*
2 tsp olive oil
4 ea cloves minced garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 cups cut-up broccoli or broccoli rabe
1/3 cup chicken stock (Swanson)
2 tbs drained capers
1/4 cup diced shallots
1/4 cup Parmesan-Reggiano, shredded
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Fresh ground sea salt to taste
Chopped parsley
Parsley sprigs

*This is a multi-color pasta with a slight twist to it.

In a large skillet cook the pancetta over medium heat about 10 minutes or until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set aside.

Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain; return to pan. Toss with olive oil and keep warm.

In the same skillet heat the reserved drippings over medium heat. Add garlic, shallots and crushed red pepper flakes; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add broccoli and chicken broth. Simmer for 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Stir in pancetta, olives and capers; heat through. Season to taste.

Add broccoli mixture to pasta in saucepan. Add half of the grated cheese and toss to combine.

Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with chopped parsley and parsley sprigs.

Both were great hits with our guests.

I thought that these pasta dishes went nicely with the prosecco.

I am sure there are other wines that would also match nicely with these dishes.

The dish with the red pepper flakes was not hot - just a hint of spicy that was mellowed out by the black olives and the capers. A quarter teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes is not a lot.

- winedope - 05-05-2002

thanks for the recipes, Mr. D- I've printed and filed them!