WineBoard
Taurino 1999 Salice Salentino - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Taurino 1999 Salice Salentino (/thread-7688.html)

- Georgie - 04-14-2003

This is what I picked up to have with pizza this evening. I can't write fancy tasting notes, but I can tell you that this was just delicious and went perfectly with the pizza. I'm sure this would go very well with other Italian dishes. $9.99

- Bucko - 04-14-2003

Nothing to be gained by a lot of flowery prose -- I liked it is good enough.

- Georgie - 04-14-2003

Thanks, Bucko. That means a lot coming from you.

- Thomas - 04-15-2003

Puglia, where the wine originates, is close enough to Campania, where pizza originates, for the wine to be a good match. And that, dear Georgie, is likely why you liked it.

I am among those who believe it is a better match when tomato sauce meets its contrasting Southern Italian (lush) wine rather than its like-minded Northern Italian (acidic) wine.

- Kcwhippet - 04-15-2003

I remember when it was going for $20 a six pack not too long ago. Good juice.

- ShortWiner - 04-15-2003

Here, here. Had a bottle a couple weeks ago with steak--went well with that too. It's got a nice bit of funky earth to it. Yum.

- Georgie - 04-28-2003

Opened another bottle of this to have with a chopped antipasto for dinner. I LOVE this wine!

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2003

Salice Salentino is a very nice wine. We would prefer it more with steak than pizza. Actually there are many beef recipes from Southern Italy that have more meat than tomatoes, and it goes wonderfully with them. As Foodie well knows, we prefer acid with acid. Therefore, we like Barbera with pizza. He has conviced us through tasting that Barbera d'Alba is preferable to Barbera d'Asti. There are also many wonderful Barbera's out there from both Italy and California, and probably from other regions as well.

- randery - 05-02-2003

Georgie. We had this Monday night w/ some "carnival" food. Thanks for the recommendation. Its on my shopping list now, for sure.

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 05-02-2003).]

- eskinnyc - 08-06-2003

Had the Taurino last night and agree 100% its a fabulous, inexpensive pizza wine. More fruit than I expected, but with a real earthy quality.

One question though for the board's Italian speakers. Whats the correct pronunciation of Salice Salentino? Is it suh-LEEZ or suh-LEE-chay or something else?

Thanks, I'd like to be able to talk about the wine without sounding like an idiot.

- Georgie - 08-06-2003

I believe it's suh-LEE-chay. Glad you liked it. I'm about ready for some more.

- ShortWiner - 08-06-2003

Yup--Sal-LEE-chay

- quijote - 08-06-2003

I had some of this wine a few days ago; it went well with Penne Arrabbiata.

Regarding pronunciation, I've mostly heard "SAH-lee-che." I believe the word means "willow" (derived from the word "salix" in Latin, and related to the words "sausal" and "sausalito" in Spanish).

- Georgie - 08-06-2003

Either way it sounds better than suh-leez which is how I thought it was pronounced at first! "Hello, I'd like to buy a bottle of sleez wine.." Was just too embarrassing to ask for, really...

- quijote - 08-08-2003

Sleeze wine--isn't that the stuff consumed from a brown paper bag?

Speaking of pronunciations, last night I went out for wine with some colleagues at work. One of them asked for a Pinot Grigio, but I thought she said "Pinot Gringo"!

- ShortWiner - 08-11-2003

Had a bad bottle of this stuff this weekend. Disappointing--vinegary.

- scimmiatinit - 08-31-2003

Su-lee-chay is correct!

Puglia is not that close to Campania.
Sorry I mean Puglia is but not Salento which is the soouthern part of Puglia...

It takes five hours by car for me to get there from Naples...

Wonderful place.. nice sea... nice "Barocco" architectures... nice girls ... nice fun .. nice food
What You can ask more ?!