WineBoard
Vernaccia di San Gimignano - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Vernaccia di San Gimignano (/thread-7621.html)

- Scoop - 07-06-2000

For a truly different, unusual yet compelling summer white, try Geografico's 1999 Vernaccia di San Gimignano ($7.99!).

VdSG is the only white that has a DOCG classification in the Chianti neighborhood, and the grape variety, Vernaccia, has a lot of unique characteristics. Though made in a dry style, it has the nose of a Vin Santo, along with a nutty undertone (hazelnut?). It's light and refreshing, but with an almost sherry-like flavor (think dry Amontillado) and a long but slightly sour finish (which is nonetheless pleasing). I read that Vernaccia used to be made for aging, similar to the old style of white riojas, where there is a certain tinge of oxidation, but with enough acidity to carry it off (a great living example of this is the 1991 Marques di Murrietta Y Gay White Rioja, a wine people either love or hate).

It was also fantastic with a fresh pea and thyme risotto.

Foodie, this might be a good one for your shop-to-be.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 07-06-2000

I am not sure, but I think vernaccia is related to viognier--anyone know?

Geografico? Is that the producer? Seems that word refers to place, as in geographical.

I had a few vernaccia samples while in Italy last April. They are interesting wines and I plan to carry one or two, if NY State plans to ever give us a license.

- Scoop - 07-06-2000

Geografico is the name of a producer most well-known for Chianti Classico wines.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 07-06-2000

Live and loin....never had their wines, but then, there are only about 4,000 grape varieties being made into wine in Italy by about a million producers, and I suppose their names run the complete language.

I shall look for Geografico next time shopping.

- Scoop - 07-06-2000

No one can touch Italy's breadth and diversity in terms of grape varieties and styles of wine...Well, O.K., France doesn't do too badly either.

Scoop

- winoweenie - 07-06-2000

OK youse guys!!!!enuf be enuf. I want all of you I-tie wine lovers to meet the mad-man of the Pampas Roberto Rogness, owner, operator, and resident mad-man of the Wine Expo operation in Santa Monica. Has an 800 # WineExpo. Think his e is the same.If any of you can stump this man on Italian Vinos, I`ll buy any menu item of your choice at any restaurant of your choice(in phoenix) Foodie, he has lots of those SW. winoweenie

- Jason - 07-06-2000

It would be very unique to see a producer using the rustic style of Vernaccia that you mention. Are you sure that this wine was intended to have these flavors?
I know that some, like Cecchi, oak age their Vern so it will travel and it is quite good.
The real Italian diehards tell me that these super light and dry wines do not travel well and are very respected wines in the local market. Frascati would be another example of this.

- Scoop - 07-07-2000

The Geografico VdSG is definitely vinified in a dry, light "modern style"; it's the grape itself that yields these unusual nutty, sherry-like flavors. But, one could easily imagine the grape being used for a completely different style of wine, as it supposedly was in the past, e.g. like the Spanish Rioja example I mentioned.

The bottle I had (1999 vintage) seemed no worse for the wear, and it even held up pretty well for an additional day under Vaccuvin pressure (we didn't quite finish the bottle the night we opened it).

It's certainly meant for drinking upon release, however, and at $7.99, it's a no-lose proposition.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 07-07-2000

"(we didn't quite finish the bottle the night we opened it)."

Scoop, my belief in your prowess is crushed! I am trying to remember when, or if, my wife and I left a bottle unfinished.

- Scoop - 07-07-2000

Not to fear Foodie, we (three of us, in this case) polished off a 1998 Marques de Caceres Rioja Rose before delving into the Vernaccia that night. And we switched to a dessert wine...with dessert!

It's very rare to have leftovers in our household.

BTW, the 1998 Marques de Caceres Rose was dry, refreshing and certainly quaffable (and it's only $5.49!), but it lacked fruit compared with previous vintages of same.

Cheers,

Scoop