WineBoard
Super Tuscan tasting at Fayetteville Wine Society - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Super Tuscan tasting at Fayetteville Wine Society (/thread-7459.html)

- wondersofwine - 12-10-2008

Monday evening was quite a treat as we met at Luigi's Restaurant to taste 11 Tuscan wines, mainly in the Super Tuscan category of non-traditional blended red wines. We were given informative handouts with colored maps of Italian wine regions. $30 per person for FWS members.
We had one white wine with the antipasto platter:
2007 ROCCA DELIA MACIE VERNACCIA DI SAN GIMIGNANO, DOGC. It was pale and transparent. A dry, crisp white, it reminded me somewhat of a Gruner Veltliner. I enjoyed it with some mild cheeses from the antipasto plate.

The red wines were served in flights of two. Tables went in turn to the buffet to get Caesar salad, chicken marsala, rissotto with black truffle oil, and Italian sausage and meatball.

2003 CASTELLO DI QUERCETO CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA, DOGC
Semi-transparent. Very tannic over a red cherry fruit underlay (bitter cherry taste according to one of the presenters.) Quite puckery. Slight herbal note. 95% Sangiovese and 5% Canaiolo. Others liked this better than I did. This was one of only two wines that I poured out after tasting.

2005 CAPEZZANA BARCO REALE DI CARMIGNANO DOC
Rather dense and opaque. Mellow initial entry, gathers strength and tannic element mid-palate. Lengthy finish. 70% Sangiovese, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10%
Canaiolo New Tuscan appellation.

2006 TENUTA SAN GUIDO "GUIDALBERTO", TOSCANA IGT
This is the second label of the Sassacaia producer. Only about 10% Sangiovese with 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and 45% Merlot. French and American oak for 12 mos., 30% new oak. Although a recent vintage, with the low percentage of Sangiovese and the addition of Merlot, this drank smoother than either of the previous reds. I got a pepper note on the mid-palate and on the finish.

2005 ANTINORI "TIGNANELLO" TOSCANA IGT
The planners went all out on this one to let us sample some of the best super Tuscans. We were also given some history of the Antinori contribution to make non-traditional wines in Tuscany and going from the nomenclature of table wine to IGT.
85% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc. This was my favorite wine of the evening although knowing it was a Tignanello may have biased my perceptions. I could pick up on the cherries from the Sangiovese but it had a richness and smoothness that the earlier wines lacked.

2005 A. & G. FOLONARI "SANTA MARTINA" ROSSO TOSCANA IGT
Folonari is also the Ruffino family but a father and son went out on their own to develop these wines. This is ther entry level wine. Semi-opaque. Very fruity aroma and flavors. 40% Sangiovese, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and 20% Syrah. Easy drinking and a nice everyday wine at the member price of less than $14. I ordered two bottles. I have in my notes no oak aging and grapes from Maremma and Chianti Classico district.

2006 TENUTA SETTE PONTI "CROGNOLO" TOSCANA IGT
Interesting nose blending several disparate elements. Blend of Sangiovese and Merlot. The producers top wine "Orena". Even the Crognolo is uaually rated in the low 90's by professional wine critics. Selling in upper $20's or mid $30's this could be a good QPR.

2004 CASTELLO BANFI "CUM LAUDE" SANT'ANTIMO DOC (Sant'Antimo DOC established in 1990s)
I have tried Cum Laude before at a Banfi seminar. The blend is Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Syrah--no Sangiovese.

2001 FRESCOBALDI "LAMAIONE" TOSCANA IGT
100% barrel-aged Merlot
This is the other wine I poured out. Not bad but I liked the blends better and needed to keep in mind that I was driving home afterwards. Others at my table were also a bit disappointed in this wine.

2006 TENUTA DELL'ORNELLAIA "LE SERRE NUOVE" BOLGHERI DOC
Winery started by Piero Antinori's brother. Purchased later by Robert Mondavi and Frescobaldi. Quite viscous. Dark purple color and very opaque. They make only four wines at Ornellaia. I really liked this and splurged to buy one bottle at about $60 (the Tignanello was priced closer to $100.) I will save it for a special occasion.

2006 TENUTA GUADO AL TASSO "IL BRUCIATO" BOLGHERI DOC (Bolgheri earned DOC designation in recent years)
Owned by Antinori family. 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot, 10% Syrah Guado la Tasso is their top wine. Tasted a little thin and acidic after the richness of the previous wine but still a nice wine with cranberry flavors.

My wines of the night were the Antinori Tignanello and the Ornellaia "Le Serre Nuove".

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 12-18-2008).]

- hotwine - 12-10-2008

That was quite a bargain! Some of my favs in that line-up.... the Tig and Crognolo. Still trying to get my arms around the Tasso..... it's still new to the Antinori family and would think they might move it more toward their own style. IMO ANYTHING coming from Piero Antinori is going to be gangbusters! Can you imagine? The Marhese is the 26th generation wine-producer of his family, going back over six centuries to 1385! Wonderful!

Great notes, Wonders, thanks.

- TheEngineer - 12-10-2008

I agree with HW, nice deal $30 for all that and dinner!

- wondersofwine - 12-11-2008

Yes, it was a bargain. Usually our payment is geared to cover the actual costs but this time we got off easily. Nick Parrous, partner in Luigi's with his sister and brother-in-law, and a founder of the Fayetteville Wine Society, is really into Italian wines and may have covered some of the costs or contributed wines from the restaurant holdings. When I commented to the educational representative from Empire Distributors that I was surprised to see a Tignanello on the list, he said it had been a surprise to him also.
The evening was enhanced by the return of another founder of the group, Kristine Miller (not sure if the first name is spelled this way but I believe it starts with a 'K' not the usual 'C.") She even brought along her husband and new baby boy. Now that she can drink wine again, she will be teaching a wine course at Fayetteville Tech Community College as well as working for an advanced degree in the hospitality area.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 12-11-2008).]