WineBoard
1998 Picchioni Buttafuoco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 1998 Picchioni Buttafuoco (/thread-7386.html)

- mrdutton - 12-10-2000

Can't edit the Topic Title: Fat fingers got in the way of the keyboard. This wine was a 1997 vintage, not 1998. Sorry for the error.

Okay Roberto you are now two thumbs-up and one thumb level.

Tonight I popped open a bottle of the 1997 Picchioni Buttafuoco Oltrepo Pavese DOC "Vigna Riva Bianca". What a tremendously wonderful surprise, especially for $27.00.

This full bodied wine was a smooth, velvety, complex, fruit bomb. As soon as I popped the cork I could smell the fruit. Acid and tannin coated my teeth and gave me a very nice, velvety mouthfeel. Long finish with some very nice flavors. Each sip brought something new and delicious to my palate.

My friend's wife, who is a SW (sissy white) drinker and says she "hates red wine", took a sip, took another sip and then another sip and said, "Oh my this stuff is GOOOD!! Give me glass!" Roberto, we'll turn her into a Red wine drinker, for sure if we can present more like this one to her.

So far:

Ricchoni Buttafuoco Oltrep Pavese DOC "Vigna Riva Bianc" 1997 - Very nice. No doubt that this one could cellar for few more years and still be a beaut.

Pagor Pinot Noir 1991, Santa Barbara - If I had room to store it I'd try to buy you out. This wine is WOW, no doubt about that. A local wine geek exclaimed (after I told him about this stuff), "Pinot is not supposed to last that long." I just kinda stared at him and wondered..........

"Gaio" Terrazze Retiche di Sondrio IGT 1999 -This one has to grow on me. Have one more bottle and will give it a second chance.

Still need to taste the Illuminati Montepulciano and the Salice Salentino DOC "Albarossa".

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-10-2000).]

- Drew - 12-10-2000

You been excessively drinking tonight, Dutton...saying all those nice things about Roberto? How many of those $4 bottles of George D. did ya throw down?

Drew

- Botafogo - 12-10-2000

We truly believe Buttafuoco (a small sub zone in Oltrepò Pavese, Lombardia) to be the next Montalcino meets Barolo and our boys Picchioni and Pellegrini to be the next Caprai meets Gaja (except they are actually nice people). Glad you enjoyed it.

As to the Gaio, was it a tad spritzy? We have had some bottle variation with a bit of delayed malo going on in the odd bottle. I would be VERY interested to hear if the second bottle is different than the first.

Roberto

- Botafogo - 12-10-2000

>>Pagor Pinot Noir 1991, Santa Barbara - If I had room to store it I'd try to buy you out. This wine is WOW, no doubt about that. A local wine geek exclaimed (after I told him about this stuff), "Pinot is not supposed to last that long." I just kinda stared at him and wondered..........<<

We don't give our "WINE of the YEAR" out lightly, last year it was the Balgera 1995 Sforzato, truly monumental stuff. Did you tell your friend that the Pagor was just released???

Roberto

- mrdutton - 12-11-2000

First on the "Gaio" - yeast it wuz a tad spritzy - that might explain the problem on why it was not so very flavor-ful and fruit forward. I'll be glad to tell you about the second bottle as soon as I open it. Now, what was it you said about that wine you always stand behind.......... GRIN!

Second on the Pagor Pinot - When I told this person that it had JUST been released, that is when he made his comment about not knowing that Pinot would last that long.......

Like I said, I just kinda looked at him with a look of disbelief.

Now Drew, I'll have you know that all 12 of those $4.00 bottles are resting in the garage, where they'll be nicely chilled after they rest from the arduous trip, in the trunk of my Lincoln, from the grocery store to my house.

- Botafogo - 12-11-2000

>>Now, what was it you said about that wine you always stand behind.......... GRIN!<<

Would a (free) bottle of another, different great Buttafuoco to try be sufficient????

Roberto

- mrdutton - 12-12-2000

YES!! (I've sent you an e-mail with some addtional information.)

- mrdutton - 12-22-2000

I just love it when someone says, "I will", and they do...........

The Picchoni Andrea-Canneto Pavese ROSSO d'ASIA 1998 was superb.

On top of that the label is very interesting and somewhat provacative. I'll be saving that label, for sure!

However, the label matches the wine perfectly. Exciting and warming and even more exciting! Very nice!

This 50% Barbera was a very rich wine indeed. It rested neatly on my palate and then settled quite nicely throughout.

You are too kind, Roberto! You are now three-thumbs-up!!

- Botafogo - 12-22-2000

The label depicts the international symbol for "hey sailor, wanna date?". Glad you enjoyed it, we are not kidding when we say that Buttafuoco in general and Picchioni in particular are destined for superstardom.

Roberto

- mrdutton - 12-23-2000

Roberto, you ever been to Napoli?

I am a retired sailor. Trust me, I KNOW what the label means!!

On the road just outside of the NATO Compound in Naples there used to be this whore who sat on the wall by the side of the road........... Her picture has been published around the world.

That was quite a while ago and she has since died.

She was no where near as appealing as the label on said bottle - however she was quite priceless as a symbol for all of us sailors! (But please trust me, I never was a customer!!)

This, of course, has nothing to do with wine....... or does it? But it does have a lot to do with the big picture......

- Drew - 12-23-2000

I think that wine had some truth syrum in it....Roberto, send Dutton some more so we can read chapter II. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- mrdutton - 12-23-2000

Up late tonight aren't we Drew!!

Did I ever tell you about the bath houses in Korea? That's Chapter II!!

- hotwine - 12-23-2000

Wonder if the "campfire girls" are still working the streets of Naples? The pall of black smoke from their buring tires hung over the city like a blanket in winter....

- Botafogo - 12-23-2000

In almost every Italian city there are virtual FLOCKS of streetwalkers but they are mostly from Nigeria and Albania these days, damn immigrants stealing jobs from the locals.....

- mrdutton - 12-23-2000

I was going to stray from this and get back onto the wine. However, if anyone of you can tell me the name of the whore about whom I've spoken........

Tell me her nick-name and I'll send you a pleasing bit of fruit of the earth. It may or may not have a bit of oak to go along with the earth...... but I think it will be good.

- Botafogo - 12-24-2000

MRdutton, here in the People's Republic we say "sex worker" or even "adult service provider", not "whore". That's just so demeaning. And, having known way more than my share of such fine individuals through working in nice restaurants and hotels, I happen to agree, many had more morals and common sense than the folks who sell me vodka.......