WineBoard
Monthelie-Les Duresse Domaine Des Comtes Lafon 1er Cru 1999, 2000 and 2002 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Monthelie-Les Duresse Domaine Des Comtes Lafon 1er Cru 1999, 2000 and 2002 (/thread-7255.html)

- TheEngineer - 09-01-2005

This was the second vertical that we tried on Saturday night (the other being the Riesling vertical....btw, the Charpoutier along with a 2002 Maison Joseph de Bucy Meursault 1er Cru Bouchere was the official "cooking wine"..those who showed up to help, got to drink...)...but this is about the Red vertical..yes, a lot of infanticide, but all done with great care

Started backwards interestingly enough.

2002: garnet in color and perhaps more clear than the other two. Tight but cannot deny it's sexiness, loads of dark fruit but high on tannins and a nice structure, this one has a long life ahead of it if you can keep your hands off of it.

2000: more serious than the 2002, Deep garnet in color with no aging rim yet. Still fresh but definitely tight this evening, showing very little, but a good structure. I think this one is closed right now and needs much more time....will revisit in a few years.

1999: WOW. Nice bouquet that hints at the power but was still reserved and complex nose. Still tight but coming around. Showing good complexity with dark fruits, dark cherries, good acidity, nice earthiness that was not in the 2002. Still much strong tannins to resolve, though is is not of the course type. Still has a long life ahead of it.

- wondersofwine - 09-02-2005

I loved the 1999 red Burgundies when first released and have quite a few on hand. I may try one or two this year but save most of them until 2007 or later. Your notes have made me eager to open a red or white Burgundy again--it has been a while since I've dipped into them.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 09-02-2005).]

- TheEngineer - 09-02-2005

Thanks!

We all know that it was a bit early to open these and we know that it will be better in a few years more! It was really meant to be a bit of an education for a wine/dinner party. A bunch of us are visiting the region soon and they wanted a knowledgeable friend of mine to walk them through it. Lucky me as I just got to enjoy them.

- wondersofwine - 09-02-2005

Lucky you to be headed to Burgundy!

- TheEngineer - 04-25-2006

Opened up another bottle of the 2002 and I think that I've read that these are now closing up. I would suggest that based on this last sample, they are right. This wine was reserved before, but this was tight. All I get is a bit of a nose but a lot of structure.....nothing else.....also a bit hot at the very end right now....anyone else noticing this to their '02's?

- wondersofwine - 05-01-2006

Nope. I've had two or three 2002 Red Burgundies recently that were not closed down including a lovely village Chambolle-Musigny from Domaine du Digioia-Royer. It's such a gamble as to which will be closed down or merrily flowing along.