WineBoard
Some tasty value Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Some tasty value Pinot Noir (/thread-7173.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Drew - 08-01-2001

Had these three with swordfish and salmon at the ocean and thought good QPR.

'99 Gallo Sonoma Pinot $12
Smooth, fruit forward style with nice cherry and cola flavors with a surprising long finish.

'99 DeLoach Russian River Valley Pinot $15
A little more complex than the Gallo. Earthy style with cherry, tea and strawberry flavors that finish with some astringent tannins.

'97 Hanna Russian River Valley $20
Picked this up in Ocean City. Lighter in color than the Gallo and DeLoach but a nicely balanced wine with a fruit forward style of cherry and plum notes with a lingering smooth finish...nice food wine.

Drew

- Innkeeper - 08-01-2001

Any good RRV or SLH Pinot at $20 or less, is a value to behold. Have heard other good words on all of these, particularly the Hanna. Will be on the lookout.

- mrdutton - 08-01-2001

Hey don't you know your not supposed to eat Swordfish?

Bet them wines was good, though!

- Drew - 08-01-2001

Ok....I'll bite, what's wrong with swordfish? Zorro got the rights to them?

Drew

- Bucko - 08-01-2001

I think it is not PC at the moment. Now, can you pass the swordfish......?

- Drew - 08-02-2001

I could change the recipe to "any firm white steak fish" but that probably wouldn't be PC either. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- wondersofwine - 08-02-2001

I once attended an exhibit at the Monterey (CA) Bay Aquarium which talked about shark being overfished and endangered. Then ate at a restaurant where the special of the evening was...you guessed it...shark! I said "You can't expect me to eat shark when I've just been to the exhibit about them being overfished!" and they said "Shhhh." I chose something else from the menu that evening but I do still love a good veal dish and prefer not to think about how the calves are raised and slaughtered.

- mrdutton - 08-02-2001

Well now let me tell you a thing or two.....

When you rave about Atlantic Salmon, you are talking about fish that are farm raised. Cuz there ain't anymore of them things swimmin' free and clear in the North Atlantic Ocean.

When you rant about how delicious those Cat Fish are or those Brook Trout, just remember that they most likely were raised on farms and were fed pellets of compressed soy and other such stuff. They don't taste anything like the wild version. Problem is that you are hard pressed to find the wild version anymore.

Swordfish are on the way out. Problem is that they are game fish that happen to be worthy plate fish also. That is a problem. You won't find too many Swordfish being raised on "fish farms". So maybe it might be worhtwhile to lay off them suckers for a while until the population has managed to increase a bit.

Remember the American Bald Eagle? It was almost extinct? Now you gotta duck from them suckers trying to pull the geese outta the back yard. Good thing too, since them geese leave some nasties in the grass.....

How about that used car lot in Richmond that ended up with a Shad shattering the windshield of a car parked on the lot. Rumour has it that a Bald Eagle dropped the fish after being attacked by some Ospreys. The fish, subject to gravity, dropped out of the sky and burst through the windshield only to land in the car's front seat. This occured on a Sunday...... Imagine the surprise and the smell when the folks opened the used car lot the following Monday.

Just give the Swordfish a break and go back to eating skate wings and shark fins. YUCK that stuff is at the bottom of the food chain!!

Did I say enough? And trust me, I ain't even thinking about being conservative. (God knows cuz I vote Republican.)

However, at some point we gotta give things a rest for a while............. Like not harvesting female blue crabs from the bay!!

- Bucko - 08-02-2001

Harpoon them whales -- they just poop in the water, no?

Shoot Bambi -- they just mess up the forest floor.

Let's hear it for Astroturf and concrete!!

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Now, if you want REAL crab and salmon, come to the PNW. I'm off in two weeks for Kodiak Island, AK for salmon and halibut fishing. Yee haw! Who needs swordfish?

Bucko

- winoweenie - 08-03-2001

I REALLY second the Astro-Turf. WW

- Innkeeper - 08-03-2001

Next time one you guys is in the land of Oz, have them plop down one of their two pound t-bones on your plate. That cow ate nothing but what it could find out on the range. Compare that with a succulent Nebraska steak that spent its final days in a feedlot eating a controlled diet.

The same is true for fish. Sure some wild fish eat the right thing and taste great. Most don't, and can't compare with a farm raised fish that has always been fed the right thing.

- wondersofwine - 08-03-2001

Is Argentinian beef apt to be free range or feed lot? I've had steaks from Argentina at restaurants in Germany and found it to be quite a different taste from Midwestern beef.
I like both but they are quite different.

- mrdutton - 08-03-2001

The folks in Texas from whom I buy my Argentinian beef advertise their product as being farm raised, but also free range.

They also offer farm raised venison and other choice cuts such as ostrich. All exotic meats are advertised as farm raised, free range. I get the impression that this means that the animals are fenced in on a large enough plot of land so they are free to graze and grow upon whatever grows outta the dirt.

www.hauteathome.com

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 08-03-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 08-03-2001

Free range is NOT the same as range fed.

- hotwine - 08-03-2001

Guess I might as well chime in at this point. When we say "free range" around here, we mean the animals are raised in large fenced pastures, in which they freely graze native and planted grasses, as opposed to being confined cheek-to-tail in huge feedlots, where they are trough-fed massive doses of growth hormones in their feed. You won't see any grass growing in feedlots; it's all trampled into the mud. An animal raised in large pastures is lean because of the grasses in its diet, and the fact that it's able to exercise. A feedlot animal tends to lose muscle density due to lack of exercise, and it develops large deposits of fat within its muscle tissue.

The grasses that are popular for pasture in this area are Klein, Gordo, Coastal Bermuda and Johnson. They are all leafy green grasses that produce a subtle sweetness to the beef that I find appealing.
OTOH, cattlefeed laced with growth hormones produces heavy animals with what I find to be a dulled cardboardy taste. And the feed itself can consist of all kinds of bulk materials with little nutritional value.

True free-range beef is probably only available from the huge ranches in the Western U.S., Mexico and Argentina, where the cattle are grazed on 100% natural vegetation. I would expect such beef to have a variable flavor that would be determined by whatever plants the animals were able to obtain.

That's why I term our animals "grass-fed"; it isn't fed out on loco weed in a wild pasture, and it isn't stuffed with crap in a feedlot; it's grazed on sweet grasses its whole life (before being sold at auction to processors).

- wondersofwine - 08-03-2001

Very informative Hotwine. And what wine do you usually uncork to go with those Texas steaks?

- Bucko - 08-03-2001

He only drinks free-range wine. It is pretty rate because it is so hard to stomp them wandering grapes....... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- hotwine - 08-03-2001

WOW, the creme de la creme for pairing with grilled steaks is Bordeaux, of course, especially a Paulliac or St Emillion. Virtually any other red will do in a pinch, including Merlot, CS, Barolo, Barbera .....whatever. I've had French VdP Pinot Noir lately with beef, and it's not bad. The big internationals from Italy are wonderful with beef (I'm thinking especially of Monsordo - big wine!). Still, for my nickel, I prefer a Bordeaux with a grilled steak.

Bucko is right about those free-range grapes: those slippery little buggers are tough to catch, and don't EVEN like to be stomped! The best way to catch 'em is when they're green, and only 1/4" in diameter; then they yield wonderfully to cookin' up in a pie. (We missed the two-week season this year, and couldn't get to the ranch in time to catch the wild mustang grapes at just the right pie-makin' size; they're now fully ripe.)

- Thomas - 08-04-2001

..if you take those green grapes, crush them, add lots of water and sugar (the BATF calls that amelioration--talk about doublespeak) you can produce a so-called grape product called wine and put it into flat, slightly curved pint bottles that slip rather nicely into a back pocket...

As for the free-range, farm-raised discussion that somehow popped out of a Pinot Noir post: overpopulation and overeating, when rectified by people the world over, will solve the problems caused by over fishing/hunting or farm raising. Until then, we shall be the best fed/under nourished few generations.

I has spoken'!

- chittychattykathy - 08-04-2001

As far as PC fish go check out <seafoodchoices.com>