WineBoard
2001 Roar, Santa Lucia Highlands - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Roar, Santa Lucia Highlands (/thread-7164.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 01-17-2004

A gift last fall, totally new to me. We're not normally much on PN but had picked up some pork loin at Costco and decided to give it a try. Decanted for an hour before dinner. Bright ruby with a subtle nose, doesn't come blasting out at you at all but crawls slowly out of the glass. Soft, luscious fruit with some spices tripping over the herbed and broiled pork but not offensively, moderate finish. Alcohol was 14.5%. I've been instructed to look for it.

- Kcwhippet - 01-17-2004

This is one I missed out on last year and I'm kicking myself after hearing everyone describe it who's tried it. I'm on the allocation list for this year though. ROAR is owned by Gary and Rosella Franscioni, and the fruit comes from Rosella's vineyard, Garys' Vineyard and Pisoni vineyard. On the Garys', the apostrophe is in the right place because it's owned by Gary Franscioni and Gary Pisoni. The wine was made by Adam Lee up at Siduri with Gary there. This wine has all the right pedigrees.

- hotwine - 01-17-2004

I'll say! Very impressive. Thanks.

- winoweenie - 01-18-2004

All the same fruit Loring uses in his juice, only he single-vineyard designates his bottlings.
I'll look for this hummer me-very-own-self.
Tankee dere ole Hotsie-Totsie. WW

- Innkeeper - 01-18-2004

Sounds wonderful but don't think Der Buckster would approve.

- hotwine - 01-18-2004

How come, IK?

- Innkeeper - 01-18-2004

He doesn't like what he calls overextrated, syrah like pinots.

- hotwine - 01-18-2004

Hmm. Interesting. I'm certainly no judge of pinots of any stripe, since we much prefer the heavier reds with beef. But will try an inexpensive burg from Costco with more pork tonight.

We need more beef in the freezer.... just about tapped out. What do I know about pork? Nuthin'! (oink)

- Bucko - 01-18-2004

Not my style, but more power to those who like the style.......

- winoweenie - 01-18-2004

For any of you coming to Glenora I'll let you judge for yourself about the oak in older vintages. If oak didn't add to the great wines of the world, none of the 1st growths, or Grand Cru Burganies would have used new oak in their wines for the last zillion years. I totally agree that the addition of oak chips in wines vinified to be drunk Tuesday is totally yuccky. As the great wines age the oak adds many nuances to the juice such as chocolate, vanilla and spices. To totally condemn oak or any other winemaking nuance is to refute the knowledge of some of the greatest winemakers in the world. Blanket condemnations don't make sense to me. The juice I drink tells me the story, and I can tell you when you drink a GREAT bottle of AGED juice, the big bell rings. WW

- Bucko - 01-19-2004

ANY wine out of balance when it goes into the bottle will come out the same way, give it 5, 10, or 15 years. Don't believe it? Pull the cork on a Dunn. The tannins overwhelmed in its youth and it overwhelms 20 years later. The longer that I drink wine, the more I am unimpressed with the latest sideshow wine of the month. Heavily oaked, heavily extracted wines are a Pamela Anderson to me -- not attractive at all. I want the elegance and spirit of Grace Kelly. But I AM NOT judging other people. Their tastes are their own. Just don't tell me that the latest "abomination in a bottle" will age gracefully, shed its cocoon, and come out a butterfly -- it ain't gonna happen.

- winoweenie - 01-19-2004

Bucko there's nothing in my post to disagree with what you say. My post is about the incessant ranting about Oak. I did a tasting, if you recall, of 64 cabs and meritages from my cellar from the 92 vintage. Every bottling was done with oak...every bottling with the exception of
maybe 2 or 3 were beautifully balanced. What I try to get across to the readers on this board is that oak is essential in FINE winemaking. Lots of bad juice made but it doesn't come from the Lafites of the world. Most of the posts about "Unwooded" don't clarify that the wood is used to mask the plonk in the bottle.WW [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Bucko - 01-19-2004

I don't rant about oak. I rant about the excessive use of oak, which shows no signs of abating IMHO.

- Brian_Loring - 01-19-2004

Gary (Roar) also has single vineyard bottlings from the vineyards that Kcwhippet listed. I thought the 2001 SRH blend was really nice. I liked the 2001 Rosella's about the same as the SRH, or maybe a tad bit more. Both seemed pretty ready to drink right away. The 2001 Pisoni was a bit too pruney for me when it was released. It's "calmed" down a bit, but I'd hold off drinking that one for a year or so. The pick of the litter was the 2001 Garys'. That was one awesome wine. Plush and yummy. I wish I gotten a lot more of the 2001 Roar Garys'!

- Kcwhippet - 01-19-2004

I wish I got any of the 2001 Roar - too late on the list, but I'm on it now for the future. To console myself until then I'll just have to be content with my batch of LWC PN's.

- Thomas - 01-20-2004

Last night I did a class that illustrated well what ww talks about. Against some fine--and oaked--Bordeaux I placed some New World offerings.

Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet was against Chateau Fonbadet Pauillac. Without exception, the students complained about Beringer's heavy hand with oak--but the Pauillac, they agreed, was well balanced, even with the oak aging.

Placed Clos de Salles Pomerol with Coppolla Diamond Series Merlot (never had the latter, so did not know what to expect; I should have caught the "vinted and bottle by" designation, but somehow missed that detail). Anyway, the oak chips almost gagged us, at least I think they were chips. The Pomerol, however was a major hit, and it is not an oak-lite wine, just a well balance one.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-20-2004).]

- Bucko - 01-20-2004

Oak chips, oak shavings, oak extract, oak powder -- they're all there to let the winemaker "enhance" the wine. Horrors......

- winoweenie - 01-20-2004

Exactly the point of my grouse. Sometimes we lose sight of the fact that good winemakers make judicious use of oak and mass produced, bad winemakers take the short road and easy way trying to emulate the good guys with aa gillion barrells a year. I too spit out a lot of plonk that is so horrible I can't believe they bottle it.
JUst don't condemn all wine oak-aged or you'll never taste some of the greatest wines bottled. Soory if you thot I was singeling you out Herr Buckster on the subject as that surely wasn't my intent. I just want the Novice wine drinkers on the board not to be impregnated with the "NO OAK" idea to the point that they miss out on great wines. Noticed on another board I cruise occasionally that some older Leonetti Cabs were in a tasing and ALL of the tasters were amazed how well the oak had integrated into the overall flavor profile of the wines. The same thing happens with Caymus Special Selections which are held in barrell 2 years longer than most Cabs. Again, talented winemakers know their fruit and how to maximize it. I jes' sits my fat patootie back and enjoy the fruits of their talent. WW [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] By the way Brian welcome. I'm taking a bottle of the 01 & 99 down to my local pusher to try tomorrow. If you want another outlet here in the valley this guy can move high-end juice.( Even Pinots That Taste Like Syrahs!)
(((gigglegigglegiggle)))

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 01-20-2004).]

- Brian_Loring - 01-20-2004

Don't expect that much from my '99 Sharon's. It was OK juice... just not on the same level as subsequent vintages. Tell me what you think of the '01 (and which one you try). If it's the Ontiveros, once again, OK, but not really representative of my "style". Both the '99 Sharon's and '01 Ontiveros are "old school" Cali Santa Maria Pinots. Lighter and more bricking than anything else I make.

I do have a distributor in AZ... Awesome Wines.

- Kcwhippet - 01-20-2004

I'm telling you, Brian, you really have to come to our offline at Glenora (you can see your stuff from there out on Seneca Lake, so chalk it up to a business trip). Dates are 14 May to 16 May.