WineBoard
Wine Tasting of Burgundies - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Wine Tasting of Burgundies (/thread-6922.html)

- wondersofwine - 08-29-2001

This also could be posted under wine events!
Carolina Wine Company in Raleigh, NC put on a tasting last Sunday of 12 1999 burgundies--3 whites and 9 reds in flights of 3. The cost was $30 per person and 20-24 people took part around three tables. The first flight of white burgundies was the only one where the least expensive wine was my favorite, at least for drinking now. It was a Latour-Giraud Mersault "Genevrieres" on sale for $47.99, usually $59.99. The next flight, all from Raphet, contained the wine that knocked our socks off--'99 Raphet Chambertin Clos-de-Beze. It was the consensus favorite of the evening and also the most expensive at $199 a bottle (except that the wine shop is sold out of their allotment of four cases).
Rich enticing bouquet and flavor to match!
No one at my table would be willing to pay nearly $200 for a bottle of wine. But that's the great thing about a tasting--we got to sample a wine we might never get near any other way and see to what heights red Burgundies can aspire! Some of the other red burgundies we tried (village to grand cru) sold for one-fourth the price. Was the Clos-de-Beze four times better? No, but it was clearly better! You could see how it commands such a price with its quality and scarcity. The wine I took home--Arlaud Morey-St.-Denis "Ruchots" on sale for $47.99 (usually $59.99) Cedar, blackberry and currants on nose. Blackberry on palate. Smooth but seemingly not very complex. A close toss-up with Arlaud Gevrey "Combottes" at the same price. I also liked the Arlaud Clos St. Denis in the final flight, but its sale price was $79.99, usually $99.99.
With a good half-hour to browse the warehouse before the tasting started, I also took home a '98 WillaKenzie Pinot Noir Pierre Leon, two bottles of Falesco Umbria Merlot (easy, Roberto) a '99 Selbach Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese, and a '99 JJ Christoffel Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese (easy, WW). Carolina Wine Company attempted a tasting of German (and Austrian?) dessert wines the Sunday before but canceled the event for lack of response. Once again German wines are undervalued.

- Innkeeper - 08-29-2001

Sounds like a great time. Too bad they didn't have any Collio Merlots instead of those ole Umbrian ones.

- wondersofwine - 08-29-2001

Yes, I still haven't come across the Collio Merlots but will be on the lookout for them.
It was a fun evening. Our table included a writer for ESPN magazine but I failed to discover what the others do for a living.
Too busy tasting I guess.

- summa - 08-29-2001

Arggghhhh Wonders, I would have Loved to be there...I'm close enough I could be, and very jealous, Lord knows I need to get my palette back. We should keep in touch somehow, being from the same state [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] .

p.s. just updated my profile so it contains my e-mail address...

[This message has been edited by summa (edited 08-29-2001).]

- cpurvis - 08-29-2001

Maybe you two fellas could haul in enough friends to get that German/Austrian dessert wine tastin' off the ground...would love to be there! cp

- wondersofwine - 08-30-2001

Summa, on Labor Day they will have a number of bottles open for tasting. Big sale continues through Labor Day.

cpurvis, I do have some friends here in Fayetteville that like the sweet German wines but might have trouble rounding up at least ten which was the minimum number for a go. Some of the wine fanciers I have met are in the military and rotate in and out of the area rather quickly. (One soldier wants to go into the restaurant business in Phoenix with some friends when he leaves the Army and he would be the wine consultant/sommelier.)

- winoweenie - 08-30-2001

Was he the one that had the helicopter land on his head? Mite jes' as well take his money to the latrine. It'll be faster and less stressfull. WW

- wondersofwine - 08-30-2001

LOL, Winoweenie. I think they're actually contemplating a nightclub setup with a good wine list, etc. He's also been offered a job in marketing with Disney in Anaheim--I would favor wine consultant over Mickey Mouse wouldn't you? (Except the night club hours take a special stamina).

- Thomas - 08-30-2001

The best wine to go with mouse is Pinot Nouse...

- summa - 08-30-2001

ouch foodie

- wondersofwine - 09-04-2001

What, not mousecat (Muscat?)

- joeyz6 - 09-04-2001

Wonders, who was the ESPN Mag writer? Did you get his or her name?

- wondersofwine - 09-04-2001

Only the first name, Cal. He's a free lance writer who does profiles of athletic personalities. We suggested he write up Cal Ripken, Jr. for Cal on Cal. Someone at the table complained about the on-air ads for ESPN the Magazine and he let us know he is not responsible for those ads.