WineBoard
Matching Pinot Noir Wine w/Dinner courses - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Matching Pinot Noir Wine w/Dinner courses (/thread-6882.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 09-23-2001

Could not agree with you more Drew. That is why I try to answer every stupid or greedy question that shows up when I'm home. I readily admit that in the total scheme of things, I don't know much. I have to admit though, that I have learned more about wine in the last two years, than I have in over fifty years of wine drinking.

- Bucko - 09-23-2001

Agree in principal, but I have a hard time with people cutting corners. It would be different if someone came to the board and said "I've got an assignment and I've looked everywhere for the following answers and have come up empty. Can anyone help?"

- hotwine - 09-23-2001

Same here, IK. Drew makes a good point, as usual. But I hate to encourage young people to take the Classic Comics approach to research. Maybe bein' an old fart colors my view of the world, but there are so many wonderful printed research materials out there, that if the kids never hear about them, they'll never learn to use them. And they'll be suckers for anything they read on the 'Net. We need to somehow strike a balance between answering all homework questions and simply saying, "Look it up!"

- hotwine - 09-23-2001

Looks like Bucko has the same idea.

- winoweenie - 09-24-2001

All of you make a valid point, but, my only concern is the same as Buckos', we'll end up with a generation that knows net-reference points and has no first-hand knowledge. As far as being unfriendly, I personally always try a lil' charm UNTIL the poster gets either mouthy or beliggerant. When you answer a question and it isn't what the poster wants to hear, I surely don't want to be attacted. We've had several lately that have been real jerks. If I know up front it's homework, then I can decide whether to help or not. When subterfuge is used, I get cranky. WW

- Thomas - 09-24-2001

I am in the "hate it when youngins' take the easy way out" camp. Also, I have a hard time rectifying some of the assignment questions not only because the students take the easy way out, but because they display a decided lack of passion for the product if they are unable, unwilling or uninterested in doing good research--which of course includes some tasting.

If that fellow/lady would have started by saying he/she is in a culinary class and doing homework, I would first have responded by telling him/her my feelings about the homework stuff, but then I would have advised that along with research he/she try tasting the wines with the foods to actually KNOW the answer instead of just reciting it from other's experience.

Perhaps others here do not, but I make my living teaching about and selling wine. I am not afraid to share information about the product, but I am not happy to toss it away either.

- barnesy - 09-24-2001

I dealt directly with some 400 history students the last 2 years. This includes ferriting out a couple of cheaters. I am very old fashioned about both my work and academic ethics. Also, as both a student and in a teaching compasity, I have done pretty extensive research (on history subjects) on the web. The point of this research was to discover that 95% or more of the stuff on the web is pure garbage. When you do find some good stuff on the web, the best thing you can do is look at the sources and go get the books from the library.

I attended a small lib. arts school that is consistently ranked as one of the highest in the West. I can rarely remember ever being assigned any significant amount of research that was to be done on the web. We used the web as a way to find quick numbers, basic facts, and "real" world research. These programs that are assigning extensive web research are cheating their programs and their students.

On a case by case basis, those students who have been upfront with us about homework have been directed in a friendly way on the best way to approach their homework without us doing it for them. These students are usually grateful and probably do well on their given assignments. Those that are jerks and want us to do their work for them, well, they seem to get dealt with accordingly. For a young guy, I am a fuddy duddy when it comes to hard work and the world of acadamia. Sorry to be long winded, but this sort of stuff is something that I am passionate about.

Here is a rough paraphrase from a quote that was hanging up in our English department:

"The internet has proven that one million monkey's pounding at one million typewriters will NOT reproduce the works of Shakespeare."

Barnesy

- hotwine - 09-24-2001

Reminds me of an old joke:

Two wireheads are watchin' a roomful of 100 chimps bangin' away on typewriters, hoping that one will produce an intelligbile sentence. Years go by. Eventually, one notices a chimp type the word "Now".
Elation!
Then more:
"...is the time"
Eureka!
"for all"
He's gonna do it!
"good men"
More, more!
"to come"
More!
"to the aid"
Almost there!