WineBoard
Matching Pinot Noir Wine w/Dinner courses - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Matching Pinot Noir Wine w/Dinner courses (/thread-6882.html)

Pages: 1 2

- johnnyd - 09-22-2001

I'm in desperate need of putting together a five course food and wine menu, i.e. soup, appetizer, salad, entree, dessert or cheese.

My requirement is that each course be paired up with a Pinot Noir wine from the same region.

I'm not familiar enough with the Pinot Noir to do this justice. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

- Innkeeper - 09-22-2001

Mushroom Soup - Duck Pond, Fries' Family Cellars
Smoked salmon rollups - Joseph Drouhin, Laforet
Eggplant salad - Villa Mt Eden, Coastal
Grilled salmon steaks and/or smoked pork chops - Bouchard Aine & Fils, Volnay
High quality crackers with the cheese - Mountford, New Zealand

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 09-22-2001).]

- johnnyd - 09-22-2001

This is a great start. Now I need to match a specific Pinot Noir wine with each course. And I can't use any choice twice. ARGH.
They can be table wines, sparkling wines, fortified wines, etc.
This isn't a great project for a 19-yr-old who isn't legally able to drink yet [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

(The last requirement says the food and the wine should originate from the same region.)

Thanks again

John

- Drew - 09-22-2001

Washington/Oregon Salmon with Oregon Pinot.

Drew

- joeyz6 - 09-22-2001

Get a Pinot Noir from Burgundy (Bourgogne in French) and some French cheese to match.

- Innkeeper - 09-22-2001

Wines posted with foods above.

- Bucko - 09-22-2001

I'm going to IK's house!

- mrdutton - 09-22-2001

Me too.....

But I also think johnnyd is pushing his luck....

- Drew - 09-22-2001

I didn't catch this right away until johnnyd said he was 19...this sounds like a homework assignment and not an actual dinner plan, is that right johnny?

Drew

- winoweenie - 09-23-2001

DUH! Drew. Why you tink WW no post for lil' feller? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] WW

- johnnyd - 09-23-2001

Thank you, gentlemen.
It is a homework assignment, yes, it is, and my generation researches on the 'net, and you were all another part of my research.
Thanks a lot.

johnnyd

- Bucko - 09-23-2001

Gotcha yet again!!

- Innkeeper - 09-23-2001

Nah. We got Johnny. The pinots are not all from the same region. Menu does sound good though.

- johnnyd - 09-23-2001

Sorry to get y'all in a twist. As I said, this was research. Not my only research. But a beginning point. Of the 50+ sites I ck'd out yesterday, ya'tink I was going to go on the word of winoweenie and bucko for my final grade?

You've given me your input, I thank you all, but rest assured, a quick copy and paste into my paper of your menu is not what's going to happen. Mine will be a work of art.

Maybe I will post it when I'm through? Perhaps. We'll just have to wait and see.

- Drew - 09-23-2001

I've been thinking the same thing for a long time now...how much wine knowledge could anyone named "Winoweenie" and "Bucko" have? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 09-23-2001).]

- Thomas - 09-23-2001

I am curious as to why a nineteen-year-old (college student?) and other youngins' get these homework assignments.

Are the profs trying to gain some wine knowledge through their students? Are these wine courses part of a particular curriculum? Can these students matriculate the wine courses? Are these students studying at UC Davis? (I hope not.) What gives?

- johnnyd - 09-23-2001

Yes, I am a 19-yr-old student at the top Culinary/Restaurant Mgmt. school in the country, working in a cycle teaching us how to match wines with foods.

No, I'm not training out in California. Now you can let out your sigh of relief.

I won't be checking back. I've found another forum where people really do know their wines and have been extremely helpful.

- winoweenie - 09-23-2001

Wow! Johnnyd Youse musta found the Nirvana. Hope it's the Wine Spectator site. Yopu'll get so much info you can write a thesis, 96% wrong. By the way sonny-boy. you didn't get a nickles worth of info from the weener. I'm tired of giving you slackers anything that might be of import. Do some reading, do some reading, do some reading....Books are a marvelous thing. WW

- barnesy - 09-23-2001

Good thing we're all stupid, or more people would try to take advantage of us.

Barnesy

Sees one legged A's in someone's future.

[This message has been edited by barnesy (edited 09-23-2001).]

- Drew - 09-23-2001

I've come to a point where I must ask the question.... supply answers or not? Wines.com, in its home page displays a link that sez,
"Ask an Expert
Check out our friendly Wine Board. Ask questions, share tasting notes, search for comments and tips, or just browse postings from over 4,000 fellow wine lovers."
I don't like to do others homework as much as others but, I think we're developing a reputation as non-friendly. The link doesn't state "ask all you want but no homework assignments". It says check out our friendly wine board. Ask questions... I feel like we're pushing people away. I suggest that we live up to our pledge and don't give a damn if the person is completing homework. Personally I wouldn't want to rely on Internet answers to complete an assignment but what do we care? It's our opinion based on experience...except for WW, Bucko and Botofugo? sounds like an inexpensive Italian car, just kidding Boto but really, I appreciate Verne, Bucko, Roberto, CCK, IK, Foodie, Hotwine, MikeD, Rad, and all for their expertise and impressions. That's what half of the wine experience is isn't it? If God blessed you with good taste buds and you can translate the experience into accurate descriptive terms, I want to hear you. After 1000+ posts and many more reads, I know whose opinions I savor and follow. I love this board...the camaraderie is more important than the info. I feel that I've developed friendships and relationships that enhance my life through the wine experience....who gives a s--t if some young snot nose wants to cut a corner. What do others think?

Drew