WineBoard
'06 Cono Sur Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: '06 Cono Sur Pinot Noir (/thread-6676.html)

- Innkeeper - 03-23-2007

2006 Cono Sur, Pinot Noir, Colchagua Valley, Chile ($9.99 SHWC). From Vina Cono Sur S.A. Santiago. Alcohol level: 14%.

Looking for an under $10 Pinot? Get this one; that is if you like the almost opaque style. Gives the eye dense dark red color. On the nose and upfront you get a blast of the blackest cherries, molified with some lighter raspberries and strawberries. For a brand new, straight out of the barrel wine, the middle is amazingly complex of black fruit elixir with slightly smoky overtones. The finish lingers and lingers (2 1/2 laps).

Matched perfectly with pork and black bean paste stir fry with snow peas, shitake 'rooms, water chestnuts, carrots, celery, and scallions; over brown Basmati rice.

Happily we purchased a half case of this one. It is one of the best three or four Chilean wines ever.

- Kcwhippet - 03-23-2007

Amazing!! Less than a year from harvest.

- Innkeeper - 03-23-2007

Well, you could consider it an '05 1/2!

Speaking of halves, had the other half tonight (an hour out of the fridge), with salmon patties and salad. Have not changed my opinion of the wine one iota!

- Innkeeper - 06-09-2007

Another tonight with broiled bacon wrapped tenderloin steaks, baguette dipped in EVOO with garlic, and salad in fresh Raspberry/Hazelnut dressing. Great Saturday night. Sorry we missed the FLs.

- Innkeeper - 07-10-2007

Another tonight with lamb steak marinated in mint & lemon mayonaise. Simply terrific.

- wondersofwine - 07-11-2007

I will have to look for that in my region. It sounds like a wine I would really enjoy.

- Innkeeper - 07-11-2007

Apparently it is fairly widely distributed. Deputy from Vancouver posted on an earlier vintage back in January 2006. As mentioned above, we got ours from Southernen Hemisphere Wine Center.

As you know we're not generally enthusiastic about Chilian wines. Could count on one hand those we have had more than one of.

- Innkeeper - 07-31-2007

Another tonight with smoked country ribs napped with Carolina Red Sauce, brown Basmati rice cooked in lamb stock and herbs, and spinach with EVOO, and spices. Great Tuesday night.

- Drew - 08-01-2007

I'm loosing it. I purchased a bottle, when?, and packed it in the two cases I brought to the beach. Looking forward to popping and compairing notes.

Drew

- wondersofwine - 08-09-2007

I ordered a glass of Cono Sur Pinot Noir with dinner at Vineyard Restaurant in Fayetteville--new management remodeled and changed name from Trio Cafe. Wine list did not include vintages (come on, guys) and I didn't ask but it may well have been the 2006.

In the dim lighting (going for an intimate dining style with tables and booths fairly well separated) the wine appeared to be dark red edging towards purple. The mouthfeel was heavier than I anticipated and a bit much for the chicken picatta with the flavorful lemon/wine sauce and capers but very nice on its own. (The pour was also quite generous--possibly 6 oz. in a Burgundy stem). When the waitress asked how I liked it I told her it was heavier than I thought it would be and not the best match for the chicken. She offered to replace it but I said that wouldn't be necessary because I enjoyed the wine on its own and it was not flawed or anything. I had a congested nose that evening so wasn't getting full benefit of the fragrances. It was plummy on the palate with ripe fruit in balance with other elements. Long pleasant finish. I think it would have paired better with rabbit, wild boar or beef bourgignon (not choices on the menu). The chicken was excellent and also an oversized portion. I had salad but no dessert.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-09-2007).]

- Innkeeper - 08-09-2007

I tried to indicate that it wasn't a delicate Pinot.

- Drew - 08-09-2007

Popped the one I had the other night and it just doesn't do it for me. Our bottle was somewhat light and lacking flavor. I found it to be just ok and a nothing special pinot even at the price point.

Drew

- VouvrayHead - 08-15-2007

I'm with Drew on this one...
didn't do anything for me!
different strokes...

- Innkeeper - 08-15-2007

I hope you guys drank it with food, because I could not imagine quaffing it. Definitely not a quaffer.

Had a bottle tonight with fillet steaks in rashers, over charcoal with mesquite chips, after having been treated with newly made Morton rub and EVOO. Also had farm fresh wax beans swirled with whipped butter, Lawry salt, freshly ground black pepper, and fine herbs; and wonderfully warmed sourdough rolls.

That's how to enjoy this wine!!!

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 08-16-2007).]

- Innkeeper - 10-22-2007

Last bottle tonight with the following served on hamburger buns with sliced purple Bradywine tomatoes (one slice being six inches across):

BARBEQUE:

3 lbs Pork roast (preferably Boston Butt)

Smoke for four hours and let stand one hour (temp 170 degrees). Shred, add to sauce, and warm through.

Sauce:

Small onion chopped
1 ½ T Bacon fat
½ C Ketchup
½ tsp Prepared mustard
½ C Beef stock
2 T Lemon juice
1 T Red wine vinegar
1 T Honey
1 T Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp Lawry salt
¼ tsp Pepper
½ tsp Ground celery seed
Few drops Tabasco
Few drops Wright’s Liquid Smoke

Nuke onion in fat. Stir mustard into ketchup and whisk into stock. Add to saucepan along with onion and all other ingredients. Bring to boil, and simmer fifteen minutes.

Wonderful!!!!!!